388     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 631     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice article in the Star today from Royson James: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201..._run_a_disaster_waiting_to_happen_james.html#

Doug Ford mayoral run a disaster waiting to happen: James
If Doug Ford runs, then Rob Ford is not returning from rehab. But he will.

Share on Facebook
Reddit this!

Doug Ford is attempting to carry on the mayor’s re-election campaign as if Rob never left.

Steve Russell / Toronto Star file photo

Doug Ford is attempting to carry on the mayor’s re-election campaign as if Rob never left.
By: Royson James Toronto Politics, Published on Thu May 08 2014
Open policard for CouncillorDoug Ford
Open policard for MayorRob Ford

Doug Ford is not running for mayor of Toronto.

If he is, then Rob Ford is not returning to the mayoral race from wherever he says he is rehabbing. And we expect the mayor to return.

If surrogate Doug runs, he won’t win.

And if he wins, he will be such a disaster of a leader that city councillors would soon pine for Rob Ford’s return.

You’ve heard of dead politicians ruling from the grave — their appointed successor carrying out the mandate of the deceased as if the ideas are immortal.

Toronto’s equivalent is ruling from rehab — Rob Ford’s brother, Doug, attempting to carry on the mayor’s re-election campaign as if Rob never left for what he claims is rehab, though we don’t know where.

The Fords are masters of deception, a duplicitous duo who have perfected the art of the dodge. Even when we know they are taking us for a ride, we buckle up, clench our teeth and bear it.

There was Doug Ford on Tuesday and Wednesday toying with the city, offering “no comment” to questions on whether he is poised to stand in should the mayor not escape rehab in time to re-enter the mayoral race ahead of the Oct. 27 vote.

The idea is to keep the mayor in the race without subjecting him to the scrutiny of the race. What better safe haven than an unspecified rehab program from which the mayor can boast about answering constituents’ phone calls, kibitz on the phone with city councillors and grant interviews to mouthpiece journalists proclaiming how much of an amazing time he’s having getting cleaned up.

It would take a cataclysmic collapse — including lockdown manacles unknown to mankind — to keep Rob Ford from returning to the mayor’s race.

Musings about Doug’s speculative entry are designed to keep the campaign viable, even as the mayor is absent. The mayor’s core support has started to bleed away, slowly. Before the trickle becomes a gush, the Fords hope rumours of Doug assuming the mantle in case of the catastrophe will be enough to staunch the flow.

So, if Doug’s name appears on the ballot, you know the self-promoted Ford Dynasty collapsed under its own scandalous weight before the carvers started chiselling the “F”. And Doug’s acceptance of the baton would signal a desperate stab, destined to failure.

Rob Ford — even a cleaned-up version — is a long shot to be re-elected mayor of Toronto. Too much has happened. Too many former supporters now expect too many more Rob Ford eruptions to invest real faith in his candidacy.

The Doug Ford candidacy, however, would be a political Hail Mary.

You think Rob is polarizing and a headstrong bully? Take a look at Doug and you see the evil half of the diabolical twin that has turned Toronto upside down and become a laughter-inducing fascination around the world.

Where Rob is Robbie, able to present as a cuddly bear of a mannequin that might do right if only his brain wasn’t handicapped by untested impulses, Doug is entirely different, a smiling assassin.

Rob spouts respect for taxpayers, Doug can’t stomach them. Rob’s 14 years at city hall has taught him, painfully, that you can’t win all the battles (he wins few, maybe one in five) so it’s best to have a short memory and don’t expect life-long political friends and alliances. Doug expects provincial-like cabinet solidarity in a municipal political system that prides itself on independence.

If Doug Ford is to advance as a politician, it will be at the provincial or federal level where his brand of brass knuckles politics is buttressed by party discipline. Now, whether a political party would embrace, as leader, someone so vacuous and devoid of spiritual connection to the electorate, is another matter.

Upon review, yes, he would be electable as an MPP; never as party leader, a political mantle he apparently craves.

Listen to any interchange between Rob and Doug Ford and you leave thinking Doug is the instigator, the guy who looks smart but says dumb things.

In the first year of the Ford mayoralty the common complaint from city councillors was of a high-minded Doug Ford muscling them to vote for one proposal or the other, lacking finesse, overflowing with nasty mean-spiritedness and threats.

They resented his hectoring that bordered on intimidation. And as time elapsed and everyone realized that Doug Ford was Rob Ford’s biggest enabler, the one very responsible for Rob’s inability to face the truth about his drug and alcohol use, council colleagues averted their gaze and turned away in disgust.

This is the guy who would lead 44 independent councillors? Not a chance. And we haven’t even touched his grand and malevolent plans to destroy the waterfront.

The Ford / Tim Horton's thing can't just be let go just because Doug says it was him. He lies because he gets away with it. I was watching cp24 and they preceded his quote by saying, "Doug Ford quickly debunked the sighting:". Did he? Why? Because he said so?

We need proof it was Rob Ford, and then need to use that proof to sink Doug.

Lol Bernstein.

I am now running with the theory that Ford is taking time off for weight loss surgery. His shithead family is constantly talking about his weight as the overarching issue, even in spite of everything else. By and large, most people's exposure to him is him being captured on camera, and what better way to say "Look, I've changed!" than a dramatic physically tangible change? He will claim that he "got clean" in rehab and cutting the booze helped him lose the weight, even though it's just the result of lypo and lap-band surgery (according to my working theory, anyway).

Two interviews in two days--he didn't talk to the media as often when he was mayor.

lizchurchto 9:33am via Twitter for BlackBerry
If someone goes away + asks media to respect their privacy, doing a daily media interview might not be best strategy. Just saying.

I didn't have the acupuncture part in mind.

Nothing beats local knowledge. :)

As I am sure you know, property values in the area have increased a lot in recent years. Incidentally, it reminds me of the story about the guy they kicked off Quebec. Ave.

Yes, I am very glad my husband bought in the area before it was "up and coming". Re Quebec Ave - I think both father and son did time for that (harrassing neighbours, slashing tires). Every neighbourhood has their nut cases.

I can pretty much guarantee that while the 'hood is crawling with counsellors/psychotherapists etc and so on, no detox/rehabs closer than St. Joe's.

G&M daily editorial cartoon
web-thuedcar08co1.jpg

Attachments

• web-thuedcar08co1.jpg
    web-thuedcar08co1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 743
I am now running with the theory that Ford is taking time off for weight loss surgery. His shithead family is constantly talking about his weight as the overarching issue, even in spite of everything else. By and large, most people's exposure to him is him being captured on camera, and what better way to say "Look, I've changed!" than a dramatic physically tangible change? He will claim that he "got clean" in rehab and cutting the booze helped him lose the weight, even though it's just the result of lypo and lap-band surgery (according to my working theory, anyway).

He'll get caught on another binge if this is indeed the case.

I wonder if Doug sometimes switches tanks? The Escalade is apparently leased to the company, and it sounds like Doug may have signed the paperwork.

Brings us back the question, is the Escalade still being driven by anyone? Because that could also become a source of false RoFo sightings.

BTW, from what I saw on the news, it looks Jerry is back in uniform. Unless that was another case of mistaken identity ( for me ).

As of yesterday, a couple of UTers posted that the Escalade is still in the driveway at Rob's, next to Renata's Escape. I don't see why Doug would park his Navigator in order to drive the Escalade - especially as the Navigator's rear window is decked-out with see-through Ford Nation signs. Also, neither the girl nor the 2 employees seem to indicate that the Escalade was any part of why they thought that they saw Rob.

Another theory about Doug - whom, I agree, is a chronic liar. (1) There are many hyper-obese white males in Toronto, some of whom are blond, somewhat balding, and aged somewhere around mid-40s. In the current atmosphere, it seems quite plausible that a few people may have ID'd someone as Rob simply out of a natural over-eagerness to have spotted the notorious Rob. (2) Rob is somewhere in the GTA (applying the universal rule that any denial by Doug means the opposite). (3) Doug fears that indeed Rob may have managed to cut loose from wherever he is. (4) The fabricated narrative that Doug was at the Tim Hortons is intended to cover for the possibility that Rob may have escaped for a while and been spotted and conveniently reinforce the claim Rob is not in the GTA. If indeed Rob was not somewhere in the GTA then Doug would only have had to say that the ID was erroneous, not go on to confabulate the nonsensical tale that he was at Tim's in order to cover off a risk that it might have been Rob out on a temporary scarper.

Last edited:
I think Doug has Rob stashed somewhere. The phone calls that Rob was making was not breaking any rehab rules, they were breaking Doug's rules. He's acting up and Doug told him to shut up.

I think Doug has Rob stashed somewhere. The phone calls that Rob was making was not breaking any rehab rules, they were breaking Doug's rules. He's acting up and Doug told him to shut up.

If this is the case, then Doug only told him to shut up after experts told the media that it's highly unlikely he would be allowed to be making that many phone calls during the first stage. I don't think either of them have an iota of a clue of what actually happens in rehab and are only readjusting their own narratives after they get called out. In the coming days he'll take back the "100 grand" claim too, just watch.

There are two choices here: 1) Rob is actually in rehab, didn't listen when they explained the rules and accepted calls, made up the whole calling constituents, "working rehab" thing in order to pretend like he's a) still doing his job and b) that he can handle everything. 2) He's not in rehab, they think that rehab is like summer camp, and are correcting the story as they go. I'm leaning towards 2.

eta: apparently Doug Ford said this morning on am640 that he's "never lied to anyone." I hate him, I really really hate him.

Last edited:
Nope. Ford is 100% in Toronto. None of them were mistaken. I don't have a source but why would three people independently make something up about the mayor changing into sweats in a coffee shop?

Yeah, it's really not like he's easy to mistake for anyone else. Not even Doug, unless it's in bobblehead form. The girl is on the level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back