563     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 706     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least we know that Rob won't be around to make some idiotic comment--

reporterdonpeat 3:05pm via Twitter for iPhone
Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly having 9 a.m. presser Monday to "invite Canada and the world to Celebration of Love: A Grand Pride Wedding"

I love that. That is so good. 60+, sorta-conservative guy appointed Deputy Mayor by none other than RoFo himself, is (A) doing the right thing for LGBT ppl, (B) making Toronto and Canada look good and (C) getting in the face of Rob and Doug as fast and hard as he can.

I love that. That is so good. 60+, sorta-conservative guy appointed Deputy Mayor by none other than RoFo himself, is (A) doing the right thing for LGBT ppl, (B) making Toronto and Canada look good and (C) getting in the face of Rob and Doug as fast and hard as he can.

He's over 70, I think. I'm really impressed with what he's done since November.

Those programs work wonders for some. Not so much for others. I wish him luck, but Ford will really have to work at it.

Not just drying out, but his social graces as well.

It works wonder for those who are sincerely willing and able to get better and accepting of their own vulnerability. Most of us (I think) don't want to see him dead in a ditch and so we'd like to think this is really what he's going through. But, sadly, the statement they put out gives no sense of rock bottom and there is clearly a lot of skepticism here. I'd like to think he's really in rehab but....I can't be sure, and that's his fault, not mine.

30 days can be enough to detox but it wouldn't be enough to get on a new path unless Rob has a real breakthrough. I don't know about anyone else here but I'm not a shrink. That said, I think it's pretty clear he suffers from narcissism, mommy issues, daddy issues, pathological lying and who knows what else on top of the substance issues. He, very sincerely, needs ongoing therapy and, again, that's not going to have any meaning unless he is sincerely committed to it.

There is nothing we've seen in his personality that suggests he's capable of that kind of breakthrough but I'd like to think he's actually had it. This city will go on, and he will lose and I don't forgive or condone what he's done to this city. But simply as a human being, I have no desire to open my paper one day in the next few months and hear the he OD'd or jumped off a bridge or had a heart attack. So, in that context I wish I could believe he's really starting to get right. I'm hovering around 50/50 right now.

Wow. If you're looking for an example of why the whole "if you're in a hole the first thing to do is stop digging" idea is so, so right, check out the @docamity twitter feed.

Daniel Dale, class act that he is, tweeted some perfectly sane and calm rebuttals. Then he apparently deleted them for some reason, but a few of them are still on my tablet until I hit refresh. Best one, IMO: "Usually when you capitulate, you do not get everything you asked for. I did."

I truly believe that no good and thoughtful person could criticize Dale in his response to the Rob Ford libel and retraction.

Dale's comments are on his feed. He just stopped talking to the guy because he was ridiculous.

Dale's comments are on his feed. He just stopped talking to the guy because he was ridiculous.

Comments are still visible on my Android tablet, even after multiple refreshes. But they're invisible on Chrome, Safari and Firefox on my Mac, which is why I said that the rebuttals were apparently deleted. To clarify, as much as possible, I really don't know what happened to Dale's replies to Amitay. I don't have a twitter account, so can't say anything about how things might look to twitter users.

However, I will say that I read several Dale-to-Amitay tweets, and I think Dale was eloquent, pertinent, right, and other-worldly patient every time.

It's not a coincidence that only simple-minded people find the man appealing.

I think it's dangerous to believe only simple minded people find Ford appealing. For example, a friend in his 40s with a degree in engineering, a masters in business, a business owner and Italian, still supports Ford even today. I shake my head unable to understand. I have sent him links to 2 articles by Matt Elliott debunking Ford's claims and robfordfacts. We'll see if that changes his mind. Not holding my breath because if everything to date hasn't changed support level I have no idea what will.

I repeat: 30 days will NOT fix Rob Ford. I don't care if he goes to God's own clinic....it just won't happen.

While we're waiting, anybody want to post a hypothetical transcript of Robbo's visit to God's own clinic? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person interested in the back-and-forth between Rob and the being-in-charge ... :p

Seriously, the best outcome for every atom in the universe, except some atoms belonging to Doug Ford, is that Rob finally comprehends reality and reserves time from now until 2016 or beyond to get his shit together. I am not holding my breath about that. Much more likely, Rob comes back to T.O. in June 2014 and takes everything to the next more horrible level.

A couple of nagging thoughts.

1.) Did anyone in the Ford camp ever say the word rehab? I heard "professional help". I have only heard the media speculate about Rehab. Further, many here have pointed out that they have never actually admitted to a problem with drugs - only alcohol.

2.) Has anyone else considered the possibility that the Ford family may be trying to pull the plug on Rob the politician because it has become painfully obvious that he can't win the election? Despite the public bravado and attempts to pretend that they have any real chance of winning the election, the only person who probably believes it still is Rob himself. The rest are a little smarter and must be seeing the writing on the wall by now. The support they enjoyed in the last election has eroded. The business community, high profile conservatives, everyone but the hardest core bat-shit crazy wing-nuts have abandoned them.

As the Fords are incapable of admitting defeat, humility or going out with grace, it would not surprise me if their idea of getting out while saving face was to pull Rob out of town, concoct a vague story to remove him, and then in 30 days Doug could return to say that the problem is too complicated to solve in 30 days Doug could come out to announce that Rob really wants to continue but his doctors insist that he must continue his vague "professional help".

With Rob going on benders every weekend, barely working, going out on his own to be photographed with young girls and jumping into cabs with strangers, getting caught smoking crack, he has become a loose cannon and even Doug has to be put off by his behaviour. The new video and audio, the corruption rumours with lobbyist Musik, the ongoing criminal investigation have all but assured a bleak future for Rob's political chances.

Rob is showing signs that he has lost interest in being Mayor. Doug still has ambitions and (erroneously) believes he has a shot at a future in politics. Showing himself as the doting brother during this difficult time frames him as a good family man (a conservative wet dream). Win-win for both of them if you ask me.

I really do think there were some deluded supporters who didn't believe he had a problem because he told them he didn't. Some of these people won't believe the Earth is round unless Ford admits to it. He sets their reality. To them, until Ford admitted his problem, this whole story was just the story of a guy who likes to party on weekends once every couple of months, and on one of these unfortunate weekends he fell lips first onto a lit crack pipe.

Ford eventually admitted that he smoked crack cocaine, but some members of idiot nation still didn't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back