376     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 680     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 438     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford is notorious internationally as a joke of a politician, but he's not famous enough for an Oprah redemption episode. Nobody outside of Toronto cares what actually becomes of him.

The fact that he still gets so much support from his relatively tiny pack of followers is entirely due to tribalism, not to any real wit or charisma on his part. He tels our local yokels what they want to hear, which is why they love him. That won't translate into a larger audience if/when he gravitates towards television. People will turne into the first couple of episodes out of curiosity, then promptly tune out once it becomes readily apparent how incredibly dull and boring Rofo and his hideous clan are.

Good observation.
Add that all the people you mentioned exist to troll opinions which are the polar opposite to most people who (left or right) tend to be more centrist. I can watch about 5 minutes of a Dr. Laura, Paline and Limbaugh, or listen to 5 minutes of AM 640 before getting so utterly ticked off by the ignorant opinions. They all share in common a lack of awareness of what it is like to have been poor, suffered any major set-back, been held to account, listen to the point of view of a minority or gay person (without the required hear-no-evil contempt), or in any way empathize with people who are not exactly like them. They exist to promote a dying status-quo of white, rich privilege.

It just got me thinking that, as far as the celebrity angle is concerned, that is just the sort of track a burgeoning reality star takes. Tearful apologies, empathetic line of questioning, tell all confessions, etc. on Oprah would be just the sort of triumphant turn around that's needed in the Ford's bizarro world view. They only think in media terms and this would be the best optics possible. No?

Sure, maybe, but as someone else argued above, the whole plan vastly overestimates Ford's infotainment value. He isn't a burgeoning reality star, at all, just a thick and graceless loser whose charisma dies slowly as he talks. U.S. media people would figure out he doesn't play outside Toronto in under 2 minutes.

Last edited:
Bunch of random thoughts:

1) why does it seem that all of the crack smoking goes on in basements?
2) Rob Ford as a reality tv star is a dead end. The minute he is no longer mayor, the entire story loses its appeal. Then he just becomes another sad druggie.
3) the gawker story claims that "jermaine" the drug dealer didn't want his real name made public for fear that it would put his life in jeopardy. Think about that for a minute.

Did anyone else zero in on the first words of Doug Ford's speech this morning?
"Well folks, I can tell ya... that this is one of the toughest days of MY life."

Good gawd is this guy for real? The toughest day of his life?

Just as irritating is the repeated vocal inflection which makes it sound like every few words is a question. Garrrrrrr! *tries to rip hair out*

I actually found myself thinking about this possibility last night. I know there's been plenty of speculation here about the Fords turning to reality tv should they suddenly get ejected from the political world...and should Slob and Thug manage to avoid prison, natch. But even if such a plan ever came to fruition, I just don't see it panning out for them.

I agree. The reason he's getting attention is because of the drug-fuelled rampages. He wouldn't be able to do that (can you imagine "that camera better be on" at his next crack den visit?) for obvious legal reasons. No-one cares about his crappy home life other than the drugs and the whiny lies and excuses that follow from them. They watch him because he's a train wreck. If he's not able to be filmed doing the things that cause those train wrecks, no-one's going to care. I wonder if part of that is his apparent belief that people really do like him.

Yes - to set up her own TV network
Yes, she still does in depth interviews with celebs and others, and produces some reality TV shows like the train wreck that is "Lindsay". I'm sure there is probably a feel good show on her network that helps people face addiction or life problems.

Private jet charters aren't that expensive. The Fords have got the cash for it. Generally you're looking at about $2k per hour of plane use. Assuming he's not leaving the continent this'd be under ten grand.

You also get the added benefit of entering and exiting said planes in private terminals, like the one at Pearson. No access for media.

Not sure about the range of the Dassault (although they could always refuel somewhere), but maybe the webmaster guy in Saint Kitts found a place for him? Or he's heading to the rehab facility in Antigua?

How about Ford flies off to an island in the sun and spends the rest of his days in a Margaritaville-type existence, never returning to these shores?

"In Margarita's we trust."

I wonder what the extradition laws are in these places?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back