588     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 557     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 688     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be surprised if he's allowed into the US even if he claims it's for rehab.

P.S. Surprising that the women here haven't gone ballistic regarding Ford's comments regarding Stintz but got so incensed after I posted a pic with caption that captured the Zeitgeist of Ford's thoughts on his wife/women.

so many rumours!
But none of the rumours explain why all the city's agencies are so incompetent. Or afraid. Or corrupt.
Police, Children's Aid...Ford's drug use has been knowingly going on for over a year with no repercussions. Even now, he gets to take a "leave of absence" instead of having any actual consequences against him.

Even Muzik seems to be impervious. They lobby City Hall, reward the mayor with free booze and a place to do drugs, and don't even have problems from the Liquor Board.

I'm reminded of what Marty from True Detective said in the final episode: “We ain’t gonna get them all...That ain’t the kind of world it is. But we got ours.â€

This rehab business is just Ford playing the trump card he's been holding onto to save his career. In reality, he's arrogant and entitled and thinks he should be allowed to get away with whatever he wants.

I agree completely Jimmi T, if he was SERIOUS about a life change he'd quit outright and slink off to get real help, his problems are very large. One of the most glaring examples is he told Wormington that people told him he should continue to run, he doesn't get that those people are just enablers.

P.S. Surprising that the women here haven't gone ballistic regarding Ford's comments regarding Stintz but got so incensed after I posted a pic with caption that captured the Zeitgeist of Ford's thoughts on his wife/women.

Comments like this don't help.

1) Some people are still waking up to the news.
2) It wasn't just women who were offended by the sexist and misogynist statements. I'm one of the men who found it all rather disgusting (and more representative of FordNation than any rational thinking).
3) How offended people feel and how they react is up to them. Judging people's level of reaction is just as ignorant as FordNation going on at length about the "left"'s perceived lack of offense over the gas scandals while railing against Ford.
4) Enough with the treating of women as somehow lesser, more reactionary or more concerned about how Ford treats women, rather than being outraged in general that such an enormous f-up continues to run this wonderful city.

This rehab business is just Ford playing the trump card he's been holding onto to save his career. In reality, he's arrogant and entitled and thinks he should be allowed to get away with whatever he wants.

That was my view too - this is his "look at me, I'm cured now, so you can all vote for me again" moment (or at least he hopes it is.

I think the thing he isn't considering is that when he comes out of rehab in a couple of days / a week / a month, that still gives him 5-6 months till the election, and there's no way he's going to stay sober (from drink or drugs) for that long. Even if he manages to get a reliable dealer who won't shop him in, or manages to actually get everyone's phone in the room before he starts smoking crack again, he's going to fall off the drink wagon at some point.

That was my view too - this is his "look at me, I'm cured now, so you can all vote for me again" moment (or at least he hopes it is.

I think the thing he isn't considering is that when he comes out of rehab in a couple of days / a week / a month, that still gives him 5-6 months till the election, and there's no way he's going to stay sober (from drink or drugs) for that long. Even if he manages to get a reliable dealer who won't shop him in, or manages to actually get everyone's phone in the room before he starts smoking crack again, he's going to fall off the drink wagon at some point.

And FordNation will still attempt to mitigate the cognitive dissonance by claiming his will was weak and he was set up by a "left wing" bartender/host/friend/whatever.

Right now at I Hate the War on Mayor Rob Ford, they've all convinced each other that the dealer selling the video is the true bad guy, yet that it's "very obviously" a pipe full of weed, and that there's "no way" one could smoke crack from that type of pipe. When there's even more proof that it's crack, Neill Flagg will chime in again that it's a setup, once again ignoring that Ford has been previously arrested for DUI and possession, and the overwhelming evidence that this is a man who has a seriously entrenched and long-term addictive personality.

Only time will let FordNation rid themselves of the deep inner turmoil they bury by continually supporting a complete f-up of a man.

Absolutely. It's very simple: he didn't cop to the drugs. Therefore it's still a lie, it's still a move. He's still operating like the truth is whatever he wants it to be. What usually happens to people like that in rehab is either a) they get turfed (which will not play well to the redemption narrative), or more rarely b) they actually have a breakthrough and commit to getting well (in which case Rob will understand that 1 month or even 6 months is not going to cut it for someone with that much work to do).

I'm not one to display a lot of sympathy for the guy; I certainly thought he'd implode again before the election and blame him for putting us all through this AND I even think his statement last night is clearly designed to position him for an electoral comeback more than a sincere apology.

That said, I would still hope that he comes back cleaned up, for everyone's sake. If he receives proper ongoing support (which, yes, could be hard if he is not sincere in his desire to rehab) he could go months or even longer without falling off the wagon which, I think, is what we all hope will happen. If he had any shame or honour (which he does not), he would outright resign and withdraw but clearly he still hopes he can come back. Maybe therapy will change that, but I don't hope or think he's bound to go off the wagon this time.

One interesting thread through all this is that he generally displays an amazing lack of self-awareness and an amazing surplus of bravado, declaring himself the Best Mayor Ever and so forth. But we've seen, when inebriated that he admits he's only doing his best or that his wife and kids don't love him and, in a weird way, that's encouraging. It may mean there is a decent, severely wounded person under all this who can still be salvage. I think it's clear his family has contributed in terrible ways to his psychology and he probably was happiest as a local councillor witih time to spare for football. All that is now gone but it doesn't mean he can't leave the mayoralty behind which, yes, spares all of us more of THIS but he could still live and be a decent father away from all this stuff he never should have got involved in.

Maybe the police will help need to give a final push there, I wouldn't object to that. But my goal is to see him out of all our lives and living his own. Not dead in a ditch or otherwise doing further damage to himself and others.

Because of. This.

Live: CP24, 8:09am, a tow truck driver - "I'm sick of them going after him. Go Rob, I think he's an amazing man and he's done so much for this city. He's got my vote".

Get it? This is nowhere near from being over.

He can tow that piece of garbage out the city along with himself.

AoD

Absolutely. It's very simple: he didn't cop to the drugs. Therefore it's still a lie, it's still a move. He's still operating like the truth is whatever he wants it to be. What usually happens to people like that in rehab is either a) they get turfed (which will not play well to the redemption narrative), or more rarely b) they actually have a breakthrough and commit to getting well (in which case Rob will understand that 1 month or even 6 months is not going to cut it for someone with that much work to do).

It remains to be seen whether he goes to an actual rehab place too, or whether he goes to one of those rehab spa places that's just a holiday break.

It remains to be seen whether he goes to an actual rehab place too, or whether he goes to one of those rehab spa places that's just a holiday break.

Two months under Florida palm trees drinking wheat grass smoothies. Very restorative. He'll come back pinker than ever and declare war on blahblahblah, etc. Go Robbie.

Seriously, nothing will kill this cockroach.

This morning on CP24, Joe Warming was interviewed. He said that Rob considered resigning as an option, but his people said not to.

This morning on CP24, Joe Warming was interviewed. He said that Rob considered resigning as an option, but his people said not to.

I think it's important we know who 'his people' are in this instance. Was it Joe Warmington and a couple of kids whose job depends on Mayor Ford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back