393     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 551     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 887     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that photo is just embarrassing. It sounds like the launch event was a real wash out. To have such hubris that you think you can fill a space that big at a campaign launch and have it fail, poetic justice imo.

Last edited:
In fairness, several people pointed out there were big bobblehead line-ups, but not enough to fill those seats. The best guess I saw was something like 1,000 people in attendance which, based simply on that visual, is fewer than they expected.

They can mock Tory and Chow's launches but they missed the whole point. I've been to these events and they bring everyone in close and tight so when the candidate comes in, it's all crowded and they feel like a rock star. This was a cavernous hall - it took Ford a solid minute to get from the back up to the stage - and they totally blew that aspect of it. As both a visual and a "vibe" it's better to have 500 people crowded into a room that holds 450 than it is to have 1,000 fit into a room that holds 2,000. This was weak sauce and more proof (as if needed) Doug is just a horrifically untalented campaign manager.

I've maintained for a while now a prediction of 15% tops when all the votes are in and I continue to stand by it; nothing here to convince me otherwise.

Thanks for your input, that was interesting.

As someone said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the bobblehead purchasers are resellers, looking to make a buck off of eBay.

Where were Tory and Chow's campaign launches?

Tory's was at the Polish Combatants' Hall, on Beverly Street, within a block of Chow's house.
Chow had her official launch in a St. Jamestown church. (Her second mass gathering was at the Prince on York Mills.)

Both are tiny venues compared to the main Toronto Congress Centre hall.

Tory's was at the Polish Combatants' Hall, on Beverly Street, within a block of Chow's house.
Chow had her official launch in a St. Jamestown church. (Her second mass gathering was at the Prince on York Mills.)

Both are tiny venues compared to the main Toronto Congress Centre hall.

Yup, way better to pack 'em in than have a half-empty venue. Optics. Doug Ford (wrongly) though that free stuff would draw a crowd in addition to the crazy Nation. However, it would'a' been awesome if more Ford naysayers had shown up than supporters. There were some hecklers, though, and a lot of the reporters looked like they were biting their tongues.

aside from the size of the hall.....whoever thought/advised him that the Thursday night before the Good Friday holiday was a night he (or any candidate) could draw their maximum crowd size. If your a religious Christian, Holy Thursday is a pretty big deal....if your not, you are on the verge of a 3 (for some 4) day long weekend.

It is a strange choice of night if drawing a crowd was the objective (although as I type this CTV Toronto just said "a crowd of 2,000 strong")

Oh my god, the crowd was just chanting: Rob Ford Forever!

Oh awesome, I can hear a heckler saying: You are destroying the city!

We were at the sit in and could hear him while watching on a phone! We were worried that he would get tackled!

Yup, way better to pack 'em in than have a half-empty venue. Optics. Doug Ford (wrongly) though that free stuff would draw a crowd in addition to the crazy Nation. However, it would'a' been awesome if more Ford naysayers had shown up than supporters. There were some hecklers, though, and a lot of the reporters looked like they were biting their tongues.

We could hear a woman saying "show us your record" over and over.

aside from the size of the hall.....whoever thought/advised him that the Thursday night before the Good Friday holiday was a night he (or any candidate) could draw their maximum crowd size. If your a religious Christian, Holy Thursday is a pretty big deal....if your not, you are on the verge of a 3 (for some 4) day long weekend.

It is a strange choice of night if drawing a crowd was the objective (although as I type this CTV Toronto just said "a crowd of 2,000 strong")

2000 is possible but they could have had a hall half the size and 2000 would have looked amazing.

So as a comparison, do the other candidates have a launch with free food? I think everyone got a free burger and 1 drink but subsequent drinks were pricey, $7.50 for a beer and I think $8 or so for wine. They also had ice cream and chips that were stale, according to reporters.

Also: http://www.kijiji.ca/b-gta-greater-toronto-area/rob-ford-bobblehead/k0l1700272

One of the first rules of live events is that a small room packed always feels better than a big room half full, even if there are 50 people in the first and 500 in the second. You ALWAYS size an event to sell out if you have the freedom. Always.

Mini-rant: it's not helping when media such as CBC gloss over the half-empty photo posted above. If someone were to watch their report, which just came up on TV a few minutes ago at the midnight re-run, you would've got the impression of the event being a hit.

Actually, why the hell WAS it on national TV in the first place? Just because this guy is an international moron? Ugh.

I can't wait to read the Iron Sheik's tweets on this :p
Bld0cLmCAAEQVSY.jpg

This is also great:
@ivortossell
"Fill this out for a free drink," says the guy at the door. pic.twitter.com/u4iMTBAALs
Bldw9csIcAAEijO.jpg

https://twitter.com/ivortossell/status/456958089301090304

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back