News   Jul 18, 2024
 428     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 809     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lumpenproletariat

Roughly translated as slum workers or the mob, this term identifies the class of outcast, degenerated and submerged elements that make up a section of the population of industrial centers. It includes beggars, prostitutes, gangsters, racketeers, swindlers, petty criminals, tramps, chronic unemployed or unemployables, persons who have been cast out by industry, and all sorts of declassed, degraded or degenerated elements. In times of prolonged crisis (depression), innumerable young people also, who cannot find an opportunity to enter into the social organism as producers, are pushed into this limbo of the outcast. Here demagogues and fascists of various stripes find some area of the mass base in time of struggle and social breakdown, when the ranks of the Lumpenproletariat are enormously swelled by ruined and declassed elements from all layers of a society in decay.

a brilliant post! i'm no marxist, but this was an enduring observation for a reason. never thought i'd see the day when it best described my hometown.

He was reading it off a teleprompter, but in his favor, it didn't look like he was seeing it for the first time.
I couldn't see the teleprompter.....He read much better than he usually does on his Fraud Nayshun show.
But what was this place called Chorono that he kept referring to, and calling it the best place on earth?

So we know they were not going for a tea party vibe, but what were they going for? Bad prom? Salesman of the year 1985?

Here are your two takeaway pictures:

1) Rob never did get that breathalyzer for his Escalade, so Mama Ford checks him out herself:

2) Ivor Tosell's shot of the Toronto Congress Centre in the middle of Rob's speech.

View attachment 25101

Like a tea party, eh, Doug? (I assume that's the stage, way off on the left?)
These guys are toast. And it's almost a shame because if Rob could just make a stump speech in the morning, coach some football in the afternoon and make an acceptance speech in the evening, he'd be happy as a clam. It's all that other stuff that's ever so tricky.

Wow, look at all those empty tables. How do you give away free burgers and beer, yet still have so many empty tables? I was so sure there would be hoards of people, lined up and begging to get into a packed hall. Oh well, more beer for Rob and his Nayshun.

I saw him looking to the prompter at his right a lot. And it seemed during the bit when I unmuted my TV, that certain words were marked for emphasis.

Wow, look at all those empty tables. How do you give away free burgers and beer, yet still have so many empty tables?

I know, right? I had a quick peek at CP24's live coverage while channel surfing earlier, and the place didn't look all that crowded to me. Heh, heh, heh.

CP24 reporter asked Filion if his presence was an endorsement for Ford. The councillor that introduced the motion to reduce Ford's powers, of course said absolutely not.

Then what the hell was he doing there? "I don't support Mayor Trainwreck, but I'll supply whatever tiny façade of legitimacy I can by appearing at his rally." Bloody jackass.

Now remember this venue/event and attendance.

When the Vaughan event happens, lets compare the turnout and ambiance.....will the regular folk show up or the woodbridge/ suburban elitists (that Ford is not part of)...haha!

Will steak, pasta and champagne be served?

Then what the hell was he doing there? "I don't support Mayor Trainwreck, but I'll supply whatever tiny façade of legitimacy I can by appearing at his rally." Bloody jackass.
@goldsbie
John Filion holds court in the lobby, patiently explaining to inquisitive Ford supporters why they're wrong.

Lonesome, empty tables and images of listless, underworking wait staff. Balloon fails. Rote talking points delivered with barely a modicum of sincerity. Combine that with the (likely) sad, stale air of an airport hangar, bad 80s pop-metal and commodified rebellion delivered to fringe lunatics, the self-perceived trod-upon and the rest of the resentful credulous. All at the site of 'The Victory Party'. Ford Years Later.

It would be great if the facts of such and the reporting -pro or otherwise -of it will make us all abandon the relentless Schadenford. Then we can get on with the business of seeking out, supporting and electing a viable, capable and even remotely dignified candidate for Mayor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back