News   Jul 18, 2024
 442     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 818     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
@goldsbie
John Filion holds court in the lobby, patiently explaining to inquisitive Ford supporters why they're wrong.

My apologies to Filion, then (in the unlikely event that he's reading this), but honestly, he was wasting his time. The cretins still supporting Ford by this point are beyond reach. They should looked upon with as much contempt as their subhuman 'leader.'

Hey! I'm never giving up my relentless Schadenford!

Me neither!

I wonder if they secured the rights to the song. It would be funny for them to get slapped back.

You don't need to get the rights to a song to do a public performance of it. (The SOCAN fees need to be paid, but that's just a blanket fee for the room)

If any of it makes it on to the video and they try to show it anywhere, that would be a different story. They could get a pretty serious smackdown for that from whoever owns Journey's songs.

Also the room can take 3k people, and over half the tables are empty... Even if everyone in the building actually supports RoFo, that's .0625%(ish) of the population of Toronto. All is not lost...

And of course, you also have to factor out the Ford supporters who don't actually *live* in Toronto.

So, this all looks to me like the *real* beginning of the end of the juggernaut--and affirming what I've always emphasized to those scared by the comments on I Hate The War On Rob Ford: no, they're not representative. They're the fringe. They just *seem* bigger than they are because comment threads are that way...

You don't need to get the rights to a song to do a public performance of it. (The SOCAN fees need to be paid, but that's just a blanket fee for the room)

If any of it makes it on to the video and they try to show it anywhere, that would be a different story. They could get a pretty serious smackdown for that from whoever owns Journey's songs.

That is true. The point I should have been clear on is politicians using songs without permission. Political promotion is a sticking point for artists, especially when Republicans are using them. (I know, that's state side but the Fords also see themselves as such)

Anyway, the Fords are all abut "slogans" and tying them to songs.

I have a question for Robbie though: If he sees himself as Braveheart (the playing of bagpipes), then does he know that, first it was a movie, Wallis was hanged, disemboweled, and beheaded at the end? And second, the creator and main character was played by is most famous for anti-semitic comments and beating his mail-order bride.

But then again he did state he was Kuwait.

Wow, look at all those empty tables. How do you give away free burgers and beer, yet still have so many empty tables? I was so sure there would be hoards of people, lined up and begging to get into a packed hall. Oh well, more beer for Rob and his Nayshun.

Is the speech off to the left of that image? Was it that empty? If so it seems odd CP24 wouldn't make mention of it in the coverage, no?

Did anyone else notice that the sign in the back was too big and was cut off saying "Rob Ford for Mayo". Hee-larious.

2) Ivor Tosell's shot of the Toronto Congress Centre in the middle of Rob's speech.

View attachment 25101

Like a tea party, eh, Doug? (I assume that's the stage, way off on the left?)
These guys are toast. And it's almost a shame because if Rob could just make a stump speech in the morning, coach some football in the afternoon and make an acceptance speech in the evening, he'd be happy as a clam. It's all that other stuff that's ever so tricky.

Wow. I have been away from the internet and tv for most of the day, and went through the thread fast to catch up. I came back to this one to quote and ask if it was when people were still arriving, and then reread and saw it was in the midst of it all.

Most. Awesome. Thing. Ever.

Wow. I have been away from the internet and tv for most of the day, and went through the thread fast to catch up. I came back to this one to quote and ask if it was when people were still arriving, and then reread and saw it was in the midst of it all.

Most. Awesome. Thing. Ever.

In fairness, several people pointed out there were big bobblehead line-ups, but not enough to fill those seats. The best guess I saw was something like 1,000 people in attendance which, based simply on that visual, is fewer than they expected.

They can mock Tory and Chow's launches but they missed the whole point. I've been to these events and they bring everyone in close and tight so when the candidate comes in, it's all crowded and they feel like a rock star. This was a cavernous hall - it took Ford a solid minute to get from the back up to the stage - and they totally blew that aspect of it. As both a visual and a "vibe" it's better to have 500 people crowded into a room that holds 450 than it is to have 1,000 fit into a room that holds 2,000. This was weak sauce and more proof (as if needed) Doug is just a horrifically untalented campaign manager.

I've maintained for a while now a prediction of 15% tops when all the votes are in and I continue to stand by it; nothing here to convince me otherwise.

Did anyone else notice that the sign in the back was too big and was cut off saying "Rob Ford for Mayo". Hee-larious.

disco-stu-jacket.jpg

So, by extension, Whitman Mayo will turn up on great googly-moogly cue.

They can mock Tory and Chow's launches but they missed the whole point. I've been to these events and they bring everyone in close and tight so when the candidate comes in, it's all crowded and they feel like a rock star. This was a cavernous hall - it took Ford a solid minute to get from the back up to the stage - and they totally blew that aspect of it. As both a visual and a "vibe" it's better to have 500 people crowded into a room that holds 450 than it is to have 1,000 fit into a room that holds 2,000. This was weak sauce and more proof (as if needed) Doug is just a horrifically untalented campaign manager.

And on top of that, the fact that they cheaped out on gastronomic freebies (the chips-and-cookies thing) compared to last time leaves me wondering, yet, once again, whether all is right in the Ford realm, financially speaking: is Deco in trouble, etc etc...

This could indeed, in the end, all collapse in an instant like the PTL Club.

Where were Tory and Chow's campaign launches?

I was speaking more generally, though Chow's definitely had her in that atmosphere, where she was on a stage in the middle of the crowd; that was at the Westin Prince. Tory did at some church hall or something. I don't know the size of those rooms or anything but the vibe you got on the news coverage was clearly different from Ford's launch. Not that Doug is ever reliable but he's the one who said their event would make those look like "a tea party." Didn't happen.

...or maybe that's the elitist media spinning how things went tonight :)

The consistently terrible signage from a family that owns a printing company should be proof enough that the Jones' aren't fit to run this city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back