479     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 614     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shitty times in Canada's newspaper business. The Star is especially hurting as the paywall isn't working.

The Star's key problem - they didn't do what the Globe did with its "Unlimited" premium content. Once you have exhausted your 10 articles with the Star all you have to do is clear your cache and cookies and "voila" - 10 more articles. My Cache has never been cleaner LOL.

(a) for one I'm still blown away that his social media people are so clueless as to send out a tweet unrelated to the funeral during the funeral lead up. A "tribute tweet" to JF in the place of the film number tweet would have been classy and acceptable but the film industry tweet was just moronic...

Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 10.03.39 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 10.03.39 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 10.03.39 AM.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 785
The Star's key problem - they didn't do what the Globe did with its "Unlimited" premium content. Once you have exhausted your 10 articles with the Star all you have to do is clear your cache and cookies and "voila" - 10 more articles. My Cache has never been cleaner LOL.
Or just use Google incognito

No one, and I mean no one, mentioned thus far is worse than Heather Mallick.

Sometimes I like reading DiManno (other times she annoys me completely). She's by far the most entertaining of the classic angry woman columnists (includes DiManno, Wente, Blatchford, Bird, Mallick). Wente might be the worst - she's an overprivileged, plagiarizing, Rand-reading twat - Mallick is a leftist version of Wente. DiManno at least isn't afraid of taking on the Toronto Police and once in a while writes something that challenges my perspective.

Maybe we'll finally get to see the Ford's anonymous campaign team as well. From today's Globe:

Doug Ford predicted “thousands and thousands†will show up, based in part on responses to thousands of automated calls made by the campaign to residents this week to promote the event. Those who receive the calls are prompted to indicate whether they plan to attend and also whether they will vote for the mayor.

Mr. Ford said the crowds will make the campaign event held by rivals Olivia Chow and John Tory look like a “tea party.â€

Translation: tens and tens of people will actually show up. Lines for hot dogs will still be inexplicably long. That crazy woman will sing. Rob will be secretly drinking when his brother is not looking. Doug will tell the media the next day that it was the biggest party that ever happened anywhere in the universe.

Believe it or not... they know that. The paywall was meant to be porous. The Star's key problem is that they were never considered a premium newspaper. So charging a premium or "paywall" is a huge disconnect from their populist ethos. The Globe, in comparison, was always considered to be an "elite" read and they've done more to create a stronger online system. By paying for Globe unlimited you get access to a pretty strong dashboard, as well as pretty unique content (Globe Unlimited columnists, but also that infographic they did on Union Station for example). The Star's beat - has traditionally been local news - there is way too much free local news that will always be free (Torontoist, BlogTo). anyway - I don't want to derail the thread with thoughts on Canada's media, but its harsh days at the Star and will continue to be for the next few years. The Globe is somewhat protected by being owned by a billionaire so their losses are a decimal point in his overall wealth. The Star's founding families are wealthy, but their wealth is derived from the newspaper and its assorted holdings. They will start to becoming increasingly cognizant of its failures.

Does anyone here subscribe to the Globe and Mail? I've been thinking about it.

Shitty times in Canada's newspaper business. The Star is especially hurting as the paywall isn't working.

It really is their own fault. They raise the rates without telling the customer, don't close the account when asked, and keep delivering the damn Sat Star long after everything is cancelled!
At least, that was my experience with The Star, and I like them. But I will never get a subscription with them again. I don't trust them any more.

I do - it's not a bad read, though I find myself not being able to actually read the papers M to F in the morning - by the time I get to do it at dinner, it's cold news. Probably switch to digital soon at this rate - it would still be nice to have actual paper on Sat though.

AoD

I do - it's not a bad read, though I find myself not being able to actually read the papers M to F in the morning - by the time I get to do it at dinner, it's cold news. Probably switch to digital soon at this rate - it would still be nice to have actual paper on Sat though.
AoD

That's kinda what I like about thestar's digital subscription. $10 a month is relatively cheap and it includes delivery of the Saturday Star.

We do. Husband likes a physical paper, I prefer digital, so everyone is happy. Their digital experience is definitely better than the Star's. We subscribe to both because he likes the Saturday Star -- even just getting it one day/week gets us the digital access, but it doesn't work half the time. I can be logged in and it still tells me I've read my 10 articles for the month.

That's kinda what I like about thestar's digital subscription. $10 a month is relatively cheap and it includes delivery of the Saturday Star.

I do the same thing - except the Saturday paper is delivered not to my front door, but to my lobby's entrance around the corner. So half the time I forget about it. I felt that it was only right to subscribe to at least one paper, given all my news consumption, even if I can go "Incognito."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back