4.4K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 675     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't really have a chance to fight to keep her. She just sprung this on them out of nowhere yesterday. She'd be wanting to leave for months though I hear.

She'll still be working under someone--Greg McArthur.

I found it interesting to learn that even though Robyn and Donovan are known as a duo on this story, she wasn't part of his investigative team.

She worked for the city hall bureau and would only report to Donovan when she had leads for scandalous Ford stuff.

In that regard, she's barely contributed since last May. It's been mostly Donovan and Poisson.

I know she had nothing to do with finding and investigating Lisi.

I was surprised but then not surprised. She has repeatedly talked about how she hates the Rob Ford city hall stuff where the media keeps jumping whenever he arrives and leaves. I like her but I don't think her writing is all that great, Dale blows her out of the water with his writing and you can see this with both their tweets. Maybe the Star can poach Don Peat.

I don't know if there is more to this but last week Cathal Kelly, one of their higher profile sports writers, went to the Globe, and Damien Cox is going to Sportsnet full time. He has been on Sportsnet and the Fan 590 a lot over the past year or two and now with Sportsnet getting the bulk of NHL games for the next 12 years, they need bodies since nobody from TSN has moved to Rogers. So all these 3 departures could be a coincidence or they could be part of something bigger. The Star laid off a lot of people at the end of February and this week got rid of some editors.

Given the outage, I'd wonder if anyone has thoughts on (a) yesterday's Flaherty funeral (I think Ford's presence was mitigated a bit by his mother), or (b) tonight's campaign launch...

Cathal Kelly is terrible.

I think he has improved over the past year or so. He used to be in Rosie Dimanno territory of unreadability, using long-winded articles to get his money's worth from his thesaurus of obscurity. He's toned the language and esoteric metaphors down to the point where he isn't half bad.

Cox on the other hand needs to go. Obviously the mainstream sports media is more about the old boys club than merit. This is just payment for the years as a Leafs PR guy working for the Star. Cox is a dinosaur who has no real understanding of the game. I'm hoping they keep him away from the actual broadcast of the games.

She's got the looks and manner to be on television

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I wasn't a huge fan of her television interviews. She seemed like a fish out of water and used a lot of filler words to get her points across. With some proper elocution training, she could be great, but she's got work to do.

Cox on the other hand needs to go. Obviously the mainstream sports media is more about the old boys club than merit. This is just payment for the years as a Leafs PR guy working for the Star. Cox is a dinosaur who has no real understanding of the game. I'm hoping they keep him away from the actual broadcast of the games.

Hate to go off-topic but this statement is insane. He's had many noteable riffs with various coaches, players and members of Leafs management over the years and is by far their most visible critic in the Toronto sports media. How on earth do you think he's a shill?

I'm flabbergasted.

Maybe we'll finally get to see the Ford's anonymous campaign team as well. From today's Globe:

Doug Ford predicted “thousands and thousands†will show up, based in part on responses to thousands of automated calls made by the campaign to residents this week to promote the event. Those who receive the calls are prompted to indicate whether they plan to attend and also whether they will vote for the mayor.

Mr. Ford said the crowds will make the campaign event held by rivals Olivia Chow and John Tory look like a “tea party.â€

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I wasn't a huge fan of her television interviews. She seemed like a fish out of water and used a lot of filler words to get her points across. With some proper elocution training, she could be great, but she's got work to do.
The first task of a media trainer would be to get Robyn to stop flipping her hair during interviews, and get a hairdresser to help keep her hair out of her eyes. I know all that sounds very shallow, but I imagine hair and makeup are essential elements for all genders when on tv.

Given the outage, I'd wonder if anyone has thoughts on (a) yesterday's Flaherty funeral (I think Ford's presence was mitigated a bit by his mother), or (b) tonight's campaign launch...

(a) for one I'm still blown away that his social media people are so clueless as to send out a tweet unrelated to the funeral during the funeral lead up. A "tribute tweet" to JF in the place of the film number tweet would have been classy and acceptable but the film industry tweet was just moronic...

I used to call this talent (I guess I still do) the "Inverted Midas Touch" - someone who takes an ordinary or extraordinary situation or opportunity and turn it into lead (or sh1t).

On Global News, major political figures they showed stopped for at least a second to say that they were "here to honour a great Canadian" or a variation of that - Tom Mulcair, Justin Trudeau, Peggy Nash and all Ford said was "Please, please, it's a sad day." as he made his way in.

Shitty times in Canada's newspaper business. The Star is especially hurting as the paywall isn't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back