News   Jul 08, 2024
 645     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
TL;DR, from AoD's link:
Letter from Muzik's Zlatko Starkovski,

Apparently the best defense is a good offense

Is it just me, or is asking the government to curtail competition to ensure that your business remains successful, and acting as though any 'jeopardy to your business plan' is a larger social ill rather than just your own stupid problem, really just perpetuating a monopoly? Also, egregious as f$&%?!?!

For what it is worth to the Paid Duty discussion, "No police officers will attend a paid duty event in plainclothes. Should exceptional circumstances require a police officer to attend a paid duty event in plainclothes, such paid duties must be approved by the Chief of Police, or his designate."
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/paidduty/tps_784.pdf

OK.

Let me clarify my reminiscence. There were three groups of people doing security that I remember:

1) uniformed police (I remember seeing them outside for most of the time. The club is massive, I didn't have eyes on all of it).
2) bouncers who would line up at the end of the night to get paid.
3) others (relationship unclear).

I didn't have many conversations with security, so what I'm saying about proportions may be skewed by conversations I had with different workers there. Other than the people who were in uniforms, I don't know 100% who the other were. I honestly don't know if they were being paid through TPS, some off-duty booking agent, or cash-in-hand via direct relationships with the owner (though there were rumours about bags of cash. Nothing I can confirm). So I should clarify that.

It is a massive operation there. Multiple bars, full kitchen staff, lots of security, huge building. And one poor grumpy IATSE guy whose job it was to babysit the lights & sound overnight.

Which makes me wonder - where are the union reps in this fight? More events at the ex means more jobs for local 58. You'd think they'd be all about drumming up more work opportunities for their membership.

Seems pretty clear to me that if police are doing any moonlighting, especially in uniform where their pay is coming from an outside organization that at the least the police should be publicly reporting: who is doing the paying and how much, which officers are involved and how much time are they doing, what is the process for getting assigned this duty?

- Police that are getting their pay from outside sources could have conflict of interest when it comes to doing their duty as officers - it's in the public's interest to be able to investigate this
- Companies/individuals who are paying large numbers of officers, or large amounts, could be doing so to get favors or other benefits from the police force (who is going to charge someone who is paying a bunch of your friends?) - it's in the public's interest to know who they are and why they need these officers
- The process of getting assigned to these duties should be fair, and non-exclusive...police should not be able to request or self-select where they are assigned...only the times they are available

Anyone know if any of this is happening currently?

Paid Duty: http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/paidduty/

Interestingly, you actually pay the TPS (though maybe only since March this year) and they pay the officer(s) so I assume any paid-duty work WILL show up in the Sunshine List.

: How do I pay for paid duty service?

A: As of March 15, 2014 all customers must make the full payment at least 10 business days prior to the Paid Duty.

Paid duty officers shall not be paid directly. All paid duty payments shall be made payable to: Toronto Police Service and mailed to: Accounts Receivable, Toronto Police Service, 40 College Street, 10th floor, Toronto, ON M5G 2J3.

Last edited:

And the Police Act.

Restrictions on secondary activities

49. (1) A member of a police force shall not engage in any activity,

(a) that interferes with or influences adversely the performance of his or her duties as a member of a police force, or is likely to do so;

(b) that places him or her in a position of conflict of interest, or is likely to do so;

(c) that would otherwise constitute full-time employment for another person; or

(d) in which he or she has an advantage derived from being a member of a police force. R.S.O. 1990, c. P.15, s. 49 (1); 2009, c. 30, s. 50 (1).
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90p15_e.htm#BK72

Not to suggest impropriety by any party. Simply submitted as a reference.

Interestingly, you actually pay the TPS (though maybe only since March this year) and they pay the officer(s) so I assume any paid-duty work WILL show up in the Sunshine List.

No. I worked lots of Paid Duty as a City of Toronto Paramedic from 1972-2009. Paid Duty does not show on the Sunshine List because the money does not come out of the City of Toronto treasury.

National Post
Mar 7, 2014 - "Paid duty work is not factored in to the sunshine list."
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...re-than-100000-last-year-sunshine-list-shows/

Last edited:
Blast from the past:

Twitter / ddale8: Always interesting reading ...

Bk9jButCUAAetBS.jpg:large

OK. Regarding 'EDM', who's going to define that? And how? Is it music exclusively made by 'Purrari' driving, Mouse-ear-wearing, squarepushing bros? What if they bring a djembe, vibes and an oud to the gig? Is that still EDM? It can't only be DJs, 'cuz then Muzik would be out. It can't be lights n' lazers, 'cuz then Muzik would be out. What if Muzik holds an 'EDM' event? Could they label it as such?

This is plainly bullshit and confirms the majestic lobbying might of a single club owner. Whose pocket is full of shi...er...Mammoliti.

Also, regarding the funeral of Jim Flaherty and the magnet proclivities of Mr. Ford: As it will be state funeral, that would really be something to see.

OK. Regarding 'EDM', who's going to define that? And how? Is it music exclusively made by 'Purrari' driving, Mouse-ear-wearing, squarepushing bros? What if they bring a djembe, vibes and an oud to the gig? Is that still EDM? It can't only be DJs, 'cuz then Muzik would be out. It can't be lights n' lazers, 'cuz then Muzik would be out. What if Muzik holds an 'EDM' event? Could they label it as such?

This is plainly bullshit and confirms the majestic lobbying might of a single club owner. Whose pocket is full of shi...er...Mammoliti.

Also, regarding the funeral of Jim Flaherty and the magnet proclivities of Mr. Ford: As it will be state funeral, that would really be something to see.

Wonder if the CBC will broadcast the funeral. Seeing that it was Mr. Flaherty who cut funding to the CBC, which in turn caused the CBC to do layoffs. See link.

Wonder if the CBC will broadcast the funeral. Seeing that it was Mr. Flaherty who cut funding to the CBC, which in turn caused the CBC to do layoffs. See link.

Regardless of his effects on the public broadcaster, one expects Flaherty's farewell will monopolize the public airwaves for the duration, right to the last mournful note of an Uilleann pipe, replete with solemn commentary by Pastor Mainsbridge himself. Interestingly, 'States' are generally reserved for sitting Minister's of the Crown. Though, obviously, as JF was one of the longest serving FinMins ever, the protocol is doubtless merited.

I don't think anyone, including Muzik, would dispute that Muzik plays EDM. EDM is just the latest marketing label attached to what used to be called dance music, club music, electronica, etc.

I think the argument is that the venue is the problem, and not necessarily the music itself. It is bullshit.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site:edmcanada.com+muzik

edm.jpg

https://www.google.ca/search?q=www.muzikclubs.com+#edm
edm2.jpg

Attachments

• edm.jpg
    edm.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 829
  • edm2.jpg
    edm2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 838
Last edited:
EDM is just the latest marketing label attached to what used to be called dance music, club music, electronica, etc.

The term EDM has been around for *ages*... since way before '99, which is when I got into electronic music... just that more people are aware of the term now. "Electronica" (and "techno") what non-insider people used to call it before it became more mainstream, are actually specific genres of music, whereas EDM as a term sort of encompasses all of that and makes no genre distinction.

The term EDM has been around for *ages*... since way before '99, which is when I got into electronic music... just that more people are aware of the term now. "Electronica" (and "techno") what non-insider people used to call it before it became more mainstream, are actually specific genres of music, whereas EDM as a term sort of encompasses all of that and makes no genre distinction.

Fair enough. But in the 90s, electronic music was not popularly known and marketed as EDM. People just called it "dance music" or "club music". I realize that electronica and techno (and house, trance, trip-hop, speed garage, drum 'n bass/jungle, etc., etc) are specific genres, but I was referring to the common usage.

Fair enough. But in the 90s, electronic music was not popularly known and marketing as EDM. I realize that electronica and techno (and house, trance, trip-hop, speed garage, drum 'n bass/jungle, etc., etc) are different genres, but I was referring to the common usage.

Next up, Rob Ford motions to ban "progressive house" because progressive implies a liberal agenda.

Next up, Rob Ford motions to ban "progressive house" because progressive implies a liberal agenda.

Yeah, the joke is that none of the politicians debating the ban seem to realize that Muzik plays the same stuff as the festivals they are banning at Muzik's request. And if they are like most clubs, they have all-ages nights, which pretty much negates their entire "think of the children!!!!111!!" argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back