612     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 565     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 707     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmi T, As the other main reason I subscribe to this thread (I mean, I enjoy the wit and commiseration, too), are you suggesting that Metroman may be wrong? That would take the wind out of my week's weak sails.

Another confusing thing he's saying is that nothing will stop the charges, yet people in power who are allies of Ford are slowing the process down to protect him. I don't really see how slowing down the process really protects Ford if serious charges are inevitable.

My guess is they are going through Lisi's phone and all their other surveillance and triple checking everything and making sure when they do charge him it is for EVERYTHING they can charge him with and that it is stuff that will stand up in court with no chance of being tossed out. The wheels of justice always moves slow when it's a high profile target.

I highly doubt there is any political interference or a deliberate slowing down of the case other than to be 100% certain of the charges and likelihood of conviction.

Last edited:
Maybe he's buying himself some time in case his predictions fall through.

Who, MM? I'm ok with "imminent" being anywhere from this afternoon to two weeks from now (meaning I didn't take "imminent" as "tonight or tomorrow" like a lot of people did), but if it doesn't play out sooner than later you have to assume that he loses any credibility he had...rightly or wrongly.

Who, MM? I'm ok with "imminent" being anywhere from this afternoon to two weeks from now (meaning I didn't take "imminent" as "tonight or tomorrow" like a lot of people did), but if it doesn't play out sooner than later you have to assume that he loses any credibility he had...rightly or wrongly.

Agreed (and with the "rightly or wrongly", too). Regardless of whether it's his fault, his credibility will take a hit. People are already accusing him of click-baiting over on Twitter.

Yeah, same. When he said imminent, I was assuming, "weeks, if not days away," not "If Ford isn't arrested by Friday, MM has some explaining to do!"

MM is making serious accusations, using his real name, publicly. That alone (in combo with his generally good record here) is enough for me to believe what he's saying. I presume there are media people who don't have his leeway who also have some sense of what's going on. I'm assuming things will come down in the next week or two. After that maybe I'll start questioning MM.

I don't know MM, I don't know what he stands to lose in terms of personal credibility if Ford is never arrested. But he will lose it.

That said, when is the last time a major sitting politician was arrested for obstruction of justice, extortion and drug trafficking? I could see stage managing being a factor.

But we're clutching at straws. Rob Ford may well not get charged with anything ever.

Women were far too "emotional" to work at the LCBO. :rolleyes: (snap! a comedic "call-back")
Back then you could be too short (me), too female (me), too young (at the time me), too old, too foreign, not the right religion (even Catholics felt this one) to be hired there. Seriously though. It's likely that you saw men working there because they believed that women were too dainty to lift a case of liquor. Now nobody is allowed to lift heavy things at work without a cart and a belt.

It was a different city back then. Not saying better or worse, but I understood its values and beliefs better than I do now.

The cops, firemen and paramedics hired by Metro when I joined really did look like the men you saw on "Adam-12" and "Emergency". All 5'10" and above, 160 lbs. minimum who played contact sports in school.

I suppose LCBO, back then, fit into a similar category.

New here, but you'll recognize me from #TOpoli. MM just favorited my reply on Twitter. Can't figure out how to post the screen cap from my iPhone. But basically I put two names out as possibilities for "slowing things down". Flahrety and Deluce.

It was a different city back then. Not saying better or worse, but I understood its values and beliefs better than I do now.

The cops, firemen and paramedics hired by Metro when I joined really did look like the men you saw on "Adam-12" and "Emergency". All 5'10" and above, 160 lbs. minimum who played contact sports in school.

A lot of Vet's from WW2 worked at the LCBO.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/media_releases/content?content_id=70

New here, but you'll recognize me from #TOpoli. MM just favorited my reply on Twitter. Can't figure out how to post the screen cap from my iPhone. But basically I put two names out as possibilities for "slowing things down". Flahrety and Deluce.

Deluce as in the Porter CEO? Hahahahahahahah. That's the reason MM favourited your post, he's big on #nojetsTO or whatever the hell. Another instance of him being steadfast on something he has incomplete information about.

MetroMan is no longer credible. He has been incorrect about an "imminent arrest", what, 4 times now? Or is it 5?

Temper your expectations.

As a new immigrant to Toronto from Europe in the late 70s, I found the LCBO staff intimidating and bullying. The Summerhill LCBO was like a warehouse where you timidly presented your slip of paper with the incomprehensible numbers to an Adam 12-type who glared at you from behind a serving counter - they were big beefy men with no interest in customer service and the occasional ability to be incredibly rude. But Toronto was still in high Presbyterian mode in those days - no drinking on Sundays unless you were travelling and no outside patios.

Now, returning you to the Robbie channel.

Euler: based on your posts in general I'm guessing you're an ex Ford voter who's turned since the crack scandal?

Euler: based on your posts in general I'm guessing you're an ex Ford voter who's turned since the crack scandal?

I knew Ford was terrible back when he was councillor, it's not like his antics weren't public. If I voted in that election, I would have gone for Smitherman but he was far from perfect.

I didn't vote in 2010, I did not own or rent property in Toronto at the time, I was living in Kitchener and in Vancouver in 2010. I grew up in Thornhill. I was born in Moscow. To quote the big guy, "Anything else?"

As a new immigrant to Toronto from Europe in the late 70s, I found the LCBO staff intimidating and bullying. The Summerhill LCBO was like a warehouse where you timidly presented your slip of paper with the incomprehensible numbers to an Adam 12-type who glared at you from behind a serving counter - they were big beefy men with no interest in customer service and the occasional ability to be incredibly rude. But Toronto was still in high Presbyterian mode in those days - no drinking on Sundays unless you were travelling and no outside patios.

Now, returning you to the Robbie channel.

I remember those days well. Did you ever have to sign the book? If they didn't believe your ID they made you sign a book. We used to joke about the permanent record they had of our early drinking adventures.

Not saying you're wrong - idle speculation is practically de rigueur in this thread, after all - but would either of those two actually have the power to slow down police charges?

I'm grateful for MM's input here. And I've been following him on Twitter for months now, there was something in this thread early last year that made it apparent what his Twitter handle was, he wasn't hard to find on there. But it seems to me that the accuracy and timing of his predictions took a hit after his city hall source left/was fired. I think a lot of his predictions now are probably coming from someone in the TPS, but that he reports them with an element of wishful thinking added. Either that, or I've wondered if recently he is being played or used by someone feeding him less than accurate information. I guess time will tell. But the use of the word "imminent" in the most recent prediction probably wasn't the wisest choice. To me, that implies anything from minutes to a few days, and another day or so, and we'll be well past "imminent."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back