622     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 569     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 711     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like this must have changed in recent years. I don't think I look particularly young for my age, but unless I'm with my husband I get carded pretty much every time I buy a bottle of wine. :p

Re: The fear factor. It's a disturbing detail, but one I can easily believe. The Fords are well known as being vindictive bastards. We still don't know all the details of the various episodes surrounding them that involve violence or death. I can't very well blame people for not wanting to cross them, especially those on the edge of polite society. As we've seen, people in genuine positions of power and responsibility have been less than willing to stick their necks out when it comes to opposing the Fords. Why should we expect better from folks who are completely powerless?

I don't think I look particularly young for my age, but unless I'm with my husband I get carded pretty much every time I buy a bottle of wine. :p

Reminds me of the guy who said, "She's too young to be my daughter, that's my wife!" ;)

I wonder if they will miss Robbie tonight at the Garrison Ball? ( Unless he decides to make a surprise visit. )

I believe Norm Kelly is pinch-hitting for him?

Reminds me of the guy who said, "She's too young to be my daughter, that's my wife!" ;)

I wonder if they will miss Robbie tonight at the Garrison Ball? ( Unless he decides to make a surprise visit. )

I believe Norm Kelly is pinch-hitting for him?

Yeah, Norm was invited and given an extra ticket but won't be taking Rub.

Olivia Chow will be there but she bought her ticket when they were available, no special favour for her.

I hope Rub tries to barge his way in and is given a bum's rush.

P.S. I read the Ford's have their minions watching this thread, tell them both they are jerkoff goofs for me, thanks in advance!

After not much action the last two days Metroman has just posted a series of tweets indicating that the slowdown is political. Can anyone build on or add to this? If the charges are as grave as some have been speculating (including the 'heinous' mentioned by MM) then wouldn't the police fear looking REALLY bad for dragging their feet on this?

I'm 59.

You had to be 21 to drink back then. I tried to drink for about a year after, but it never took. By then, I had really learned to loathe drunks through my employment.

But, I do remember when there was no self-serve at the LCBO. You had to write it down on an LCBO order form and hand it to the man ( don't recall ever seeing any woman ) behind the big counter. He had to get it for you.

Women were far too "emotional" to work at the LCBO. :rolleyes: (snap! a comedic "call-back")
Back then you could be too short (me), too female (me), too young (at the time me), too old, too foreign, not the right religion (even Catholics felt this one) to be hired there. Seriously though. It's likely that you saw men working there because they believed that women were too dainty to lift a case of liquor. Now nobody is allowed to lift heavy things at work without a cart and a belt.

After not much action the last two days Metroman has just posted a series of tweets indicating that the slowdown is political. Can anyone build on or add to this? If the charges are as grave as some have been speculating (including the 'heinous' mentioned by MM) then wouldn't the police fear looking REALLY bad for dragging their feet on this?

Another confusing thing he's saying is that nothing will stop the charges, yet people in power who are allies of Ford are slowing the process down to protect him. I don't really see how slowing down the process really protects Ford if serious charges are inevitable.

At this point the police can't NOT lay charges without a lot of people going down in flames. They can't exactly say "We thought we had something, but the guy was just too slippery. Sorry!". Even if they get tossed out of court, at least they can say they did their job and shift the blame to the lawyers, Crown, or whoever.

Another confusing thing he's saying is that nothing will stop the charges, yet people in power who are allies of Ford are slowing the process down to protect him. I don't really see how slowing down the process really protects Ford if serious charges are inevitable.

I'm curious who those people are...I mean, did Flaherty retire to boss around the head of the OPP? I can't imagine, say, Stephen Harper is involved or that Taverner has any pull, given how high up this has gone. Without getting into paranoid discussions of, like, the mob protecting Ford from on high, I can't imagine who is still backing him.

It seems that between Blair and the OPP, they'd have a lot of muscle at this point. Ironically, if the charges are that inevitable, it seems like a slowdown is just giving the cops who want him busted time to gather more ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back