958     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe W.

https://twitter.com/TorSunCity/status/449147691419713536

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/26/mayoral-debate-gives-steak-queen-patrons-something-to-chew-on

"Mayor Rob Ford may not have been at Steak Queen Wednesday night but his presence sure was.

And many were celebrating what they are calling an all out win in the 2014 municipal election campaign’s first debate.

He was selling both the steak and the sizzle and in Etobicoke they were buying both.

“I will be voting for Mayor Ford, no question,†said Sherry Jurakhan, herself a restauranteur from the area.

Her view was the mayor also won the debate on CITY-TV against fellow candidates Olivia Chow, David Soknacki, Karen Stintz and John Tory hands down.

“I like the man,†said the owner of the D Jerk and Roti Shop. “He is a man of the people.â€

In fact she came to the Steak Queen to watch the debate at the request of her eight-year-old granddaughter Alina.

“I want to meet him,†said eight-year-old.

“I am going to invite him to my restaurant and you will get to meet him,†promised Sherry."
Sometimes I think this city really does deserve to burn.

That depends. How poor is too poor to have kids? Is there a formula?

In an ideal world there would be no accidents, no job loss, no tragedy that causes people to falter on their parental responsibilities. Rape would never happen. Marriages wouldn't end in divorce. Rents would be affordable and increases to the cost of living would not shock middle to low-income earners. Both parents would support their offspring. Religious and pro-life groups wouldn't distribute misleading information to confuse young women in difficult situations. Birth control would work every time and women who could not afford a child would not be stigmatized for making her own reproductive choices - especially when that choice unburdens the taxpayers who would prefer she postpone pregnancy till she can afford it.

It's too easy to wag a finger at poor people and say they shouldn't have had kids. It doesn't require any thinking because the people who use food banks, or benefit from the programs that Ford and his ilk so love to cut don't always fit into that nasty narrative. People with full time jobs should not need food banks and social programs to cover the basics.

I'm certain from your past posts that you don't fit into Ford nation but that type of thinking "poor people shouldn't have kids" is so popular today that most people really don't give it a second thought. In my opinion, anyone who works full time should be able to raise a family if they wish to. Unfortunately, the reality today is it requires two full time incomes and no mishaps which could cause financial shock. I don't know how anyone does it today.

The same people who say poor people shouldn't have kids are usually the ones who are anti-immigration too. Which raise the issue of how they think the population is going to be replenished when all the baby boomers die. Cloning?

The same people who say poor people shouldn't have kids are usually the ones who are anti-immigration too.

I think immigration is great and we should be allowing more of it. Heh, sure, it may not be the best for Toronto since it's only going to make crowding worse on the subway ;-) but it's a big country.

Live streaming of tonight's debate is here:

http://www.justin.tv/toronto_stream

So far, the format is way way better than last night. All candidates are doing much better except for Rob Ford. A student asked him about drunken stupors and he came back with the "I'm not perfect line" and the room erupted in laughter. He continued on and so did the laughter.

People need to preface their questions by saying "Without using the phrases "I'm not perfect, maybe you are", and " I saved a billion dollars" how would you respond to etc. etc. " He's so used to his go-to phrases people need to take them off the table right off the bat.

FFS! A great direct question about drug dealers. Then Lean says, "let him answer". Fine, but when he finishes "answering" then Lean needed to say, "ok great, now that you got your standard points out, please ACTUALLY answer the question". But nope. As usual, Rob Ford is asked a question, answers a different question, and the asker doesn't bother to call him on his non-answer. Un-fucking-believable.

Good direct question on Rob's association with drug dealers.
Terrible response saying nothing.

Great question - but instead of following up on the non-answer from Ford, he tsk tsk's the students for heckling and demanding that Ford answer the question.

Edited to add: Great format - but what a jerk of a moderator - and not just for this specific reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back