587     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's all send Mr.Ford copies of the Toronto Star.

The chair of Torstar has a point: "Honderich wrote: “Mayor Ford has no obligation to speak to or be interviewed by the Star. That is entirely his choice. However, when it comes to public press releases and public notifications from his office as mayor of all the people, that is another matter.”

It really does highlight the selfish "me first" attitude of Rob Ford.

Last edited:
All athletes in the major professional leagues (NFL, NHL, MLB and NBA) must be available for the media regardless of how much they dislike them. Anytime athletes get questions they do not like, they simply crack jokes, fire back, or answer with 'no comment'. I do not understand why Ford feels that providing no access for the Toronto Star is the best solution.

Miller gave Sue-Ann Levy and the Toronto Sun access despite his dislike for them

Last edited:
We all keep discussing Ford as though rational thought applies. It clearly does not, and that is precisely what endears him to his supporters. This encapsulates the problems with democracy.

I fail to see how allowing people to buy firearms within the city or to allow shooting ranges to operate in the city will affect crime rates or "turn Toronto into an American City". I have real doubts that shooting ranges are used or connected to crime, and the legal purchase of guns is not the problem when it comes to gun crime.
Really, after the O'Keefe murder in 2007, how can you possibly say something like that?

Interesting choice of words there. Ford is not turning up the heat on the Star. It is the Star that is that is turning up the heat on Ford. Ford as a public figure cannot pick and choose who receives official communications from the Mayor's office. Even the National Post, and some right-leaning councillors agree Ford is wrong to exclude the Star.

While lower crime rates are bad for some businesses, you would think conservatives would support policies that reduce crime rates rather than increase them.

lower crime rates
- Fewer police = fewer taxes = happier conservatives.
- Fewer prisons = fewer taxes = happier conservatives.
- Fewer assaults = fewer hospital visits = fewer doctors = lower health costs = fewer taxes = happier conservatives.

I can only conclude that conservative ideals are a big lie. It's really about power and greed, not lower taxes. Power and greed, two words that aptly describe the Fords', Harris' and Harpers' of the world.

A population living, divided in fear, is much more controllable than one that is fearless, caring and compassionate. It seems to be working, because I'm dumbfounded by how many of my neighbours think that crime is worse than ever and how they seem more fearful in general.

I believe the conservative argument for access to firearms (at least in an urban context) goes a little something like this:
"There are lots of really really bad people out there who want to hurt me, my family, and my property. They will get guns, and all sorts of other scary things, illegally. They will use them to threaten my law-abiding, tax-paying family and I'll be damned if the gov'r'mint's gunna stop me from protecting myself!"

This more guns = less crime nonsense is fairly popular in the US (though not as popular as the extremely vocal gun rights lobby would have us believe), and I'd imagine Rob's a believer on some level.

While some schools are banning balls, Doug Ford is suggesting... cage matches?

Toronto Star: Doug Ford suggests schools explore UFC-linked program

Councillor Doug Ford’s office has suggested Toronto schools look into a community service program backed by the violent mixed martial arts league, Ultimate Fighting Championship.

In an email obtained by the Star, Ford’s constituency assistant, Anna Vescio, asked a Toronto District School Board trustee to circulate a brochure touting an initiative called UFC Community Works.

According to the brochure, the program promotes “the development of discipline, respect, teamwork, honesty, time management and physical fitness†through mixed martial arts training and meetings with UFC fighters.

UFC has become notorious for its brutal, bloody, no-holds barred fighting. Mixed martial arts events were banned in Ontario until this year.

The email was sent Thursday, one day after Premier Dalton McGuinty announced bold new anti-bullying legislation that seeks to curb aggressive behaviour in Ontario schools. Some TDSB trustees were left questioning the sense of proposing a program backed by UFC.
Reached by phone, Doug Ford declined to comment, citing Mayor Rob Ford’s policy of not talking to the Star.

I had this interesting thought: I can picture that if Rob Ford started posting on UT as himself, he'd wind up being banned through his own on-line buffoonery--and it wouldn't matter one whit that he's Rob Fcuking Ford, Mayor Of This Fcuking City.

I don't know of any other local elected politicians that'd wind up getting themselves banned like that.

Sadly, nothing we (the city, citizens) can do will get Rob Ford out of office before December 1, 2014. Short of Ford quitting himself, committing a crime that puts him in jail or an unfortunate case of one too many Timbits, we're stuck with him for 3 more years. All we can hope for is that councillors put him on a short leash and lessen the damage.

He can go through the biggest scandal in city history and still keep his job if he wants it. If it's not a criminal offence that will put him in jail, unable to full fill his duties, he can be stubborn and stay in office even with a 0% approval rating.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I'd like to see a current approval rating--it's been a couple of months or more...

Bob&Doug are making this city a laughing stock.. There's no way a municipality can stage a coup, right?

Correction...the voters of Toronto have made a laughing stock of the city.

And Council rules, so it doesn't matter what stupid proposals that the Fords come up with, they mean nothing unless council approves it. So blame Council (voted in by the people).

The coup already took place....you're looking at it.

Since the city exists by virtue of provincial legislation, technically the province could pass any legislation it wants to get rid of a mayor.

Or....the voters of Toronto could simply use better judgment when electing it's municipal politicians in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back