170     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 412     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF The Republican short bus comes to Toronto. Yeah Rob lets raise the gun crime and murders in Toronto.

I'll admit some ignorance regarding municipal politics here, but does the integrity commissioner have the power to force the issue if he sides with The Star and Ford refuses to comply, or will there have to be another attempt made through the courts?

The Star accepts that the Mayor himself does not have to talk to them but they are fighting his edict that they get no City press releases or invites to press conferences. I would think the IC can force them to be put back on the mailing lists etc. It really is VERY undemocratic.

While lower crime rates are bad for some businesses, you would think conservatives would support policies that reduce crime rates rather than increase them.

lower crime rates
- Fewer police = fewer taxes = happier conservatives.
- Fewer prisons = fewer taxes = happier conservatives.
- Fewer assaults = fewer hospital visits = fewer doctors = lower health costs = fewer taxes = happier conservatives.

I can only conclude that conservative ideals are a big lie. It's really about power and greed, not lower taxes. Power and greed, two words that aptly describe the Fords', Harris' and Harpers' of the world.

A population living, divided in fear, is much more controllable than one that is fearless, caring and compassionate. It seems to be working, because I'm dumbfounded by how many of my neighbours think that crime is worse than ever and how they seem more fearful in general.

Ford snuck in a motion to reverse gun control measures on the city..

Ford's mission to turn Toronto into an American city continues.. :mad:

This guy needs to be run out of office before he does too much irreversible damage!

WTF The Republican short bus comes to Toronto. Yeah Rob lets raise the gun crime and murders in Toronto.

While lower crime rates are bad for some businesses, you would think conservatives would support policies that reduce crime rates rather than increase them.

I fail to see how allowing people to buy firearms within the city or to allow shooting ranges to operate in the city will affect crime rates or "turn Toronto into an American City". I have real doubts that shooting ranges are used or connected to crime, and the legal purchase of guns is not the problem when it comes to gun crime. I would be very surprised if I were to learn that more than a tiny fraction of all the guns used in gun crimes in Canada or Toronto were originally legally purchased in Canada.

As someone who's had a couple of death threats, you'd think a move like this might not be Ford's first natural impulse. :)

I would be surprised if encouraging gun culture doesn't lead to more crime. Shooting ranges, gun shops, what have you. Around the legal there's always a network of illegal - and I don't think that's the sort of thing that needs re-introducing or beefing up in a packed, teeming city. Even the legal stuff - I live in a dodgy neighbourhood and believe me, knowing that someone might have gone out and just purchased a legal gun nearby (or been pushed to) is not going to improve my mood.

Unlike a great many other more useful regulated substances, guns are made to directly kill and maim people and animals. They are not made for anything else. This is not something the city needs more of. I hope this bill is squashed and quickly. It's an odd and awful move by Ford.
It's as if by his actions he's consciously or unconsciously trying to force the core to fit his mental image of it as being a crowded, derelict, dirty, criminal place. Throw increased gun availability into the mix and presto! - a less attractive-feeling, less safe-seeming city.

Now this:
Council votes to keep ban in place, though it's still going off to the OMB.
http://www.thestar.com/news/cityhallpolitics/article/1095391--council-keeps-gun-controls?bn=1

That's a relief.

Last edited:
We do need more shooting ranges in the city. Gangbangers can get better at aiming and we will have less bystanders shot by stray bullets. :rolleyes:

lower crime rates
- Fewer police = fewer taxes = happier conservatives.
- Fewer prisons = fewer taxes = happier conservatives.
- Fewer assaults = fewer hospital visits = fewer doctors = lower health costs = fewer taxes = happier conservatives.

You've described the idelologue of a small 'c' conservative, which exist in every stripe of the our political sytem, including members of the Liberal party and suprisingly, the NDP (they are also known as libertarians, hippies, etc)

That being said, every political party talks out of both sides of their mouth...

One thing that Rob Ford has managed to do, from where I stand, is to divide the union membership in this city. TTC and Police unions are happy with their guaranteed raises, so you find savings on the backs of garbage workers and bureacrats. More conniving than I thought Ford is capable of.

Ironically enough, the Star is the one paper that have a populist bent like Fraud - think the Fixer, Joe Fiorito, etc. No respect, indeed - I guess they aren't enough of a taxpayer for the city. And sorry, I don't think think our mayor is in the position to comment on literacy issues.

Bring it on to the Integrity Commissioner - and of course we already knew how much regards Fraud holds for that office.

AoD

Last edited:
Seems like a pretty dumb statement on his part seeing how they employee many in the 416 proper ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back