1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 539     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking to them would just frustrate your further. I've heard interviews with these people where the interviewer has pushed the issue and they flat out deny that those things exist. "I don't know that to be true" or failing that "I don't care about those things as long as he saves me money".
Absolutely. I had a downtown person tell me that it's all gossip and innuendo, and she doesn't care so long as he is saving her money. When you point out that he isn't, they simply don't listen. Lots of people only hear what they want to hear and ignore the rest. Obviously, this particular group of people hasn't heard anything beyond "I'm cancelling the VRT". And of course they believe it's all a media smear campaign.

Soknacki Campaign ‏@Soknacki2014 5m
Is Ford using Mayor's Office as #TOpoli campaign HQ? We are filing broad FIPPA at 11:30am at City Hall to find out...

Would not be surprised.

Absolutely. I had a downtown person tell me that it's all gossip and innuendo, and she doesn't care so long as he is saving her money. When you point out that he isn't, they simply don't listen. Lots of people only hear what they want to hear and ignore the rest. Obviously, this particular group of people hasn't heard anything beyond "I'm cancelling the VRT". And of course they believe it's all a media smear campaign.
They are the same type of people who believe that WikiLeaks is part of the WikiMedia Foundation.

Originally Posted by MetroMan:

"In this CityTV video, Cynthia Mulligan asks people on the street who they'll support. I'm in utter disbelief that there are still people supporting Ford."

And, that street poll was in the old city. Imagine if it had been in the suburbs.

To be honest, those people could also be from the suburbs as well. You can't assume that everyone interviewed lives around the area. And of course, there's still the tactic of misinformation that the Fords have come to master and the fact that not everyone dedicates as much time to politics as people here do. But regardless, you still need to have the mindset that you're running behind Ford and that it's a uphill battle.

Assuming that Ford will either be jailed or is entirely unelectable is wishful thinking and frankly dangerous as the Fords are very much dedicated 24-7 to their own reelection.

Found this video from the 2010 campaign. Ford is so wooden, and slow-speaking it almost doesn't seem like him. Full of his wonderful pipe dreams of how pinching pennies will somehow make up for the LTT/VRT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry1-xZIx_Zw

"Running the city of Toronto requires leadership and accountability".

Neither of which you have, Mr. Mayor. Now what?

To be honest, those people could also be from the suburbs as well.

Exactly. Three of the major TV companies (Global, City and CTV) have studios right in or near major tourist areas (Yorkville, Eaton Centre and Queen St, respectively). I live near Yorkville and can't count the number of times that I've been asked by tourists where something could be found. It's silly to assume that even half of the people walking these streets on a given day live in the area.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm hoping to enlist some help for a YouTube project I'm working on, tentatively titled People, not Taxpayers. This is a project inspired by a number of posts I've seen here, mostly those relating to what we would like to see from attack ads. Rather than joining the "I hope someone does this" chorus, I've decided to take matters into my own hands. I am an experienced video editor and 'YouTuber', and while I have a number of videos in production already, I've been struggling to track down some source materials. Equally, I am open to ideas for attack ads that fit more or less within the format I've envisioned. With your help, I am hoping to prepare some 50 ~one-minute videos prepared in advance of the home-stretch of the upcoming election. This will allow me to release a new video, say, every week until the last month of the election, at which point videos will be pumped out daily. With enough traction, I think these videos could make a real difference (unless, of course, Ford winds up in jail before then, but I've almost given up hope that this will happen -- sorry MetroMan).

These videos will be targeted at two specific groups: 1. Those who perceive Ford as an honest person, as a 'straight shooter' who keeps his promises; and 2. Those who might grumble about Ford's disgraceful behaviour, but ignore it on the basis of their mistaken belief that he is a competent economic manager, or that he 'respects their tax dollars'. It seems to me that, outside of these two, not necessarily mutually-exclusive groups, there are not many people who can be swayed either way (i.e. 'Ford Nayshun' on the one hand, and the informed citizenry on the other).

By way of an example, both of these groups are well represented in a video I'm currently putting together on his pledge to cut the land-transfer tax. I have a number of videos wherein Ford, with great indignation, dismisses claims that he will renege on his pledge to cut the LTT. Compiled chronologically, these videos will demonstrate how, over time, he moves the goalposts so much that his original promise fades into obscurity. This video will close with a Ford voice-over, "another promise made, another promise kept".

Another almost-too-easy example concerns his transportation plan in general, and his ridiculous promise to have the private sector kick in $1 billion in funding. This one provides a particularly powerful demonstration of how utterly incompetent he is as an economic manager - beginning with the promise of a fully-funded miracle subway, and ending with a huge increase in property taxes. He also promised to have his Finch, Sheppard, AND Scarborough subways either completed or under construction by the start of the Pan Am games. Again, the video will close with Ford proudly proclaiming "another promise made, another promise kept"

These videos will be edited in such a way that no voice-overs or editorial interventions will be necessary. This is the most effective approach, in my opinion, as it shows how Ford contradicts Ford, and that it's not the media who makes him look stupid. Put in another way, I want to show Ford falling on his own sword. There will also be a heavy emphasis on the pre-crack scandal era, so as to demonstrate clearly that Ford was never fit to govern. Lost amidst all this nonsense hand-waving about him being entitled to a personal life is this very simple reality, so I want to avoid attack ads related specifically to the crack-scandal, except where they serve to highlight his serial dishonesty.

I am still working out many of the details, such as whether I will use my existing YouTube channel or start a new one, but send me a private message if you are interested in helping out. Alternatively, if you are working on a similar project of your own, perhaps we can establish some kind of common digital storehouse for source materials? I'm open to any and all ideas.

In the meantime, I am hoping that someone out there has the full, raw video of Ford's "oriental people work like dogs" rant. I have searched far and wide, and have only been able to find the below video, which is less than ideal for obvious reasons:

[video=youtube;7adTyQDwa7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7adTyQDwa7o[/video]

Great initiative. This is exactly the approach that needs to be taken. Shareable short clips that recruit Ford to take down Ford. I'm looking forward to your videos.

Exactly. Three of the major TV companies (Global, City and CTV) have studios right in or near major tourist areas (Yorkville, Eaton Centre and Queen St, respectively). I live near Yorkville and can't count the number of times that I've been asked by tourists where something could be found. It's silly to assume that even half of the people walking these streets on a given day live in the area.

It's also possible that clips of supporters make better tv and/or supporters aremore willing to stop and voice an opinion. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't find anyone in those areas that wouldn't be pro-Ford.

Global's Toronto studios (CIII-TV) is still in Don Mills north of the Science Centre, though they do have a Yorkville presence; the same with CTV's CFTO-TV still based north of Scarborough Town Centre and having a presence on Queen Street.

City and OMNI have studios overlooking Dundas Square.

We've all allowed the Ford brothers to cook up this toxic stew--now it's time to drink the poison.

ddale8 1:08pm via Web
The Fords, especially Doug, are trying to frame the Pride issue as a case of them being bullied by the gay community.

ddale8 1:06pm via Web
Rob Ford: "I am not homophobic"; I'll go to anyone's house if they call me with a problem.

ddale8 1:07pm via Web
Doug Ford to mom of a gay son: "You may want to try to bully us into things...I feel like I've been bullied."

goldsbie 1:25pm via Web
Fords falsely claim that City wasn't seeking sponsorships for Pan Am showcase, call councillors "pigs"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back