642     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 718     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford never sues anyone. Perhaps Canadian journalists are taking the libel laws too seriously when it comes to the all talk, no action Ford.

5 things to know about the 2014 Toronto budget

PROPERTY TAX WENT UP BY 2.71%

The city has plenty of things to pay for this year, including the Scarborough subway extension and a backlog of repairs following a nasty series winter storms, so, naturally, taxes had to go up - but by how much? Council decided on the first day of its meeting to set the property tax rate 2.71% higher than in 2013, which loosely translates to $68.59 a year extra for the average homeowner in the city.

[...]

A motion by councillor Josh Matlow that would have required the city to report on the sunk costs associated with cancelling the LRT failed.

[...]

COUNCIL CUT FIRE SERVICES MONEY

Despite a TV advert that claimed cutting five fire trucks and 84 firefighters would slow response times and put lives at risk, city council decided to reduce spending on Toronto Fire Services this year. Underwriters who set insurance rates said the cuts wouldn't noticeably affect the quality of fire protection in Toronto.

A motion by Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly rescued one of the trucks by providing a one-time cash injection of $2 million.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2014/01/5_things_to_know_about_the_2014_toronto_budget/

Seriously? I dunno...This comes almost immediately on the heels of the latest Ford scandal, in which Mayor Moron is assumed to be responsible for a vicious jailhouse beating against a perceived enemy. Which, if true (and I, for one, have absolutely no hesitation whatsoever in believing it) undeniably marks him as a violent criminal thug. Which, in turn, kinda highlights the sheer grotesqueness of Fatso's adowable widdle cuddle-wuddle tickle-fest. It's like watching Al Capone trying to act cute and cuddly.

Don't mistake my meaning, I am the last person that you need to convince that Ford (and co.) is a vile piece of shit of a human being.

This is surprising to me on two levels:

1. I would have expected the audience for this program would have a more pronounced bias AGAINST Rob Ford.

2. 44% like him and the way he's done his job? WTF? Have these people been paying any attention at all? Is there a massive cognitive dissonance eruption??

I read that as "44% don't really follow the story, so they want to reflect the disapproval that's in the air, but as Good Canadians, don't want to rock the boat too much by registering anything close to a real opinion."

Last edited:
Some tweets from Joe Warmington:
Breaking. Mayor Rob Ford issued citation by police in Vancouver -- sources say
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was issued a ticket in Vancouver tonight near Lougheed St. by police
Unconfirmed but sources say Mayor Rob Ford issued a ticket by police for walking across a red light.

Steven D'Souza ‏@cbcsteve
Reports coming out of B.C. that Rob Ford has been ticketed by police there for jaywalking and may have been intoxicated.

Some tweets from Joe Warmington:
Breaking. Mayor Rob Ford issued citation by police in Vancouver -- sources say
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was issued a ticket in Vancouver tonight near Lougheed St. by police
Unconfirmed but sources say Mayor Rob Ford issued a ticket by police for walking across a red light.

Steven D'Souza ‏@cbcsteve
Reports coming out of B.C. that Rob Ford has been ticketed by police there for jaywalking and may have been intoxicated.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Man, I was going to post something about Ford possibly running afoul of the law while in Vancouver but it seemed too much like wishful thinking.

Seems like an ironic combination: intoxicated once again, but at least not behind the wheel this time! So there's that. And jaywalking, which is about the most trouble you can get into for just walking (aside from trespassing, I guess) while flouting the rules in the usual Ford fashion.

Are VPD known to be strict enforcers when it comes to jaywalking?

ford-van.jpg

http://globalnews.ca/news/1122528/b...vancouver-for-jaywalking-public-intoxication/

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, who was visiting Vancouver this weekend for the funeral of a family friend, was ticketed by RCMP this evening for public intoxication and jaywalking, sources have told Global News.

“He said ‘I f’d up boys. I was just trying to cross the red light here, and this officer stopped me,’” said Ian Currie, who saw Ford being ticketed by officers, to Global News.

“He said ‘I thought it was looser on the West Coast, I thought you were cooler over here,’” said Currie.

When asked for comment, a RCMP regional duty officer said the following: “As there is no public safety issue in this matter, we are unable to confirm or deny anything.”

The officer added, “In a situation where there is a celebrity involved, that is the policy.”

Ford was walking on North Road, a busy road dividing the municipalities of Burnaby and Coquitlam, when an officer pulled him over. The officer reportedly wrote Ford up outside a Shell gas station north of Lougheed Highway, where a large crowd began to form.

Sources have told Global News that Ford was in the Foggy Dew, a nearby pub, earlier in the evening, but this is unconfirmed.

Ford arrived in Vancouver this morning to attend the funeral of a friend’s mother. The mayor, embroiled in controversy for months, last made news on Wednesday, when a lawsuit was filed against him for his alleged role in the jailhouse assault of his sister`s former partner.

Currie left before Ford had finished his encounter with police, but said the last words he heard from the Toronto Mayor were “Don’t take photos, I’m going to get in a lot of trouble.”

“As there is no public safety issue in this matter, we are unable to confirm or deny anything,” said a RCMP regional duty officer to Global News.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Man, I was going to post something about Ford possibly running afoul of the law while in Vancouver but it seemed too much like wishful thinking.

Seems like an ironic combination: intoxicated once again, but at least not behind the wheel this time! So there's that. And jaywalking, which is about the most trouble you can get into for just walking (aside from trespassing, I guess) while flouting the rules in the usual Ford fashion.

Are VPD known to be strict enforcers when it comes to jaywalking?

It's a West Coast thing. LAPD are really bad for targeting jaywalkers - the internet is full of stories of New Yorkers getting nailed there. The public intoxication charge is the bigger deal than a frivolous jaywalking ticket issued by the Horsemen (it wasn't the VPD, this was in either Burnaby or Coquitlam, both policed by the RCMP - which does not have a good reputation in BC).

Last edited:
It's a West Coast thing. LAPD are really bad for targeting jaywalkers - the internet is full of stories of New Yorkers getting nailed there. The public intoxication charge is the bigger deal than a frivolous jaywalking ticket issued by the Horsemen (it wasn't the VPD, this was in either Burnaby or Coquitlam, both policed by the RCMP - which does not have a good reputation in BC.

I lived in Vancouver for 13 years, and used to jaywalk all the time. Never got ticketed.
The drivers are more laid back in Vancouver. Cars used to actually stop in the middle of the road so I could jay walk. lol
The cops are more intense though, I agree with that.

Last edited:
I lived in Vancouver for 13 years, and used to jaywalk all the time. Never got ticketed.
The drivers are more laid back in Vancouver. Cars used to actually stop in the middle of the road so I could jay walk. lol
The cops are more intense though, I agree with that.

This is the RCMP E Division - the ones who like to welcome immigrants to Canada by electrocuting them. Ford got off lightly. VPD doesn't have such a bad reputation - if they were tight on jaywalking, you'd have a platoon issuing tickets to junkies on Hastings Street.

Well that was fast. Enabler Worm-ington let Frod cry on his shoulder already.

Ford 'shocked' and 'embarrassed' after getting ticket for jaywalking in Vancouver

By Joe Warmington ,Toronto Sun

First posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 01:32 AM EST

“I am in shock,” Toronto’s mayor said moments after it happened. “I was just walking across the street, about 200 feet from my hotel, when I was approached by an officer and told I was jaywalking. I couldn’t believe it. I said am I under arrest.”

Ford described a female officer telling him that he had “crossed the street against a red light” and issued him a ticket.

“It was for $109 for disobeying a pedestrian sign,” said Ford. “I said you have got to be kidding. I said are you guys serious?”

The mayor said the officer then brought over a supervisor.

“I said I can’t believe this,” said Ford. “They went out of their way to do this.”

Ford said he's in Vancouver to attend the memorial service of a friend’s mother.

Ford said he was embarrassed as people were taking his picture during the incident.

“What a waste of taxpayers money.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back