641     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 717     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple days back someone posted a invitation to a Robyn Doolittle book promotion event. A few prominent themes in the book were revealed in bullet points. One of those mentioned a section will focus on how libel laws in Canada make it difficult for reporters here to reveal some aspects of stories. So a question. In the coming weeks Doolittle will do a tour of prominent American media. She's scheduled for Jon Stewart, and will probably be on a few CNN shows. Would she be free to reveal on American airwaves parts of the story that we have been kept under wraps here due to libel fear? Those stories wouldn't be in the book for the same reason. Would it be considered ethical to do so? Or will her time on those shows be restricted to retelling Rob Ford 101 for the American audience? Stewart could lead off with a couple questions about that topic in the book and then ask, "Okay, so what is it that you've been unable to write about in Canada?"

And frankly, an even simpler approach to take is "Rob Ford says he has lowered the unemployment rate, but the Truth is..."

Exactly. Ford himself has been triumphantly screeching about how he's created jobs in Toronto during his tenure as Mayor. Why shouldn't that be thrown back in his fat face?

Conrad Black has just had his Order of Canada revoked.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving scumbag. I sincerely hope Black's attempts to whitewash Ford's 'character' contributed to the decision.

Pssst! Keep it down. That video highlights Ford's likable side.

Seriously? I dunno...This comes almost immediately on the heels of the latest Ford scandal, in which Mayor Moron is assumed to be responsible for a vicious jailhouse beating against a perceived enemy. Which, if true (and I, for one, have absolutely no hesitation whatsoever in believing it) undeniably marks him as a violent criminal thug. Which, in turn, kinda highlights the sheer grotesqueness of Fatso's adowable widdle cuddle-wuddle tickle-fest. It's like watching Al Capone trying to act cute and cuddly.

Agree. I think the days of playing politics with the Ford brothers by the Marquess de Queensbury rules are long, long dead and anyone who believes otherwise should be checking their arms and legs for bite marks.

To quote The Doug (Dougster? Big Doug? Doooouugie) "Bloodbath".

A couple days back someone posted a invitation to a Robyn Doolittle book promotion event. A few prominent themes in the book were revealed in bullet points. One of those mentioned a section will focus on how libel laws in Canada make it difficult for reporters here to reveal some aspects of stories. So a question. In the coming weeks Doolittle will do a tour of prominent American media. She's scheduled for Jon Stewart, and will probably be on a few CNN shows. Would she be free to reveal on American airwaves parts of the story that we have been kept under wraps here due to libel fear? Those stories wouldn't be in the book for the same reason. Would it be considered ethical to do so? Or will her time on those shows be restricted to retelling Rob Ford 101 for the American audience? Stewart could lead off with a couple questions about that topic in the book and then ask, "Okay, so what is it that you've been unable to write about in Canada?"

maybe someone on here that's going to her event on the 3rd can ask her, 'cause these are some good questions.

Not a chance. If/when the interviews in question appear on websites accessible to Canadians, she can be zapped for libel here. I know that sounds crazy, but libel law is just that ridiculous when it comes to online content. Technically anyone anywhere in the world could sue you for libel based on their own national laws, as long as the statements in question are accessible in that country via any media.

Blackballed, I just found this site in December and over a period of a few weeks went back to certain periods of time when Ford was getting caught doing bad things, just to read all the comments. It was funny to see how much people were posting after the crack tape was seen, after the cops said they had it, most of November, after the Black interview etc. Before that, there wasn't a lot of conversation. Then, POW!!

I don't know if anyone will find this interesting - it's certainly not surprising when you think about it - but here is a chart of the number of comments on this thread by month going back to when MetroMan started it in September 2010. Enjoy. Or don't.

UT Comments.jpg

Attachments

• UT Comments.jpg
    UT Comments.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 520
Blackballed, I just found this site in December and over a period of a few weeks went back to certain periods of time when Ford was getting caught doing bad things, just to read all the comments. It was funny to see how much people were posting after the crack tape was seen, after the cops said they had it, most of November, after the Black interview etc. Before that, there wasn't a lot of conversation. Then, POW!!

Yeah, it's almost like something happened in May 2013.

Our comments are going to appear out of order because I deleted the original and reposted it with a slight revision. Sorry about that.

Hopefully I can be excused a little on-topic sorta-kinda-spam here, but I'm about to release a Ford-related record by Warren Kinsella's band, SFH, and I think it'll prove a much more interesting souvenir of this benighted period in Toronto history than any bobblehead. The a-side is "Mayor On Crack", while b-side lyrics are actually lines from the violent rant video. I'll post order details when I've approved the test pressings, but here's the blurb:

SFH - Mayor On Crack 45 (UP049)
Toronto “mayor†Rob Ford is an ignorant, corrupt, lying, bigoted, drunk-driving clown of a drug addict, so it’s clearly incumbent upon us to issue a punk rock record attacking him personally.

Luckily, SFH had already written the necessary response to this unfortunate episode in our city’s history, so we at Ugly Pop Vinyl are putting it on the 7†vinyl disc it deserves. In fact, this was recorded in June 2013, but we made no plan to release it because, as each new outrage piled onto that of the preceding day, it seemed clear that any elected official with the slightest shred of dignity or respect for his office would resign before a record could make it to the shelves. When Ford's consistently breath-taking lack of shame eventually forced us to accept that this was not going to happen, the appropriate communications were made, and this timely rant is now headed for your turntable, where it belongs.

SFH frontman Kinsella is known to aficionados of Canadian punk for his part in 1980’s HOT NASTIES EP (one of the greatest Canadian records of all time, already reissued on Ugly Pop and now in its fourth pressing), and to most of the country as a persistent thorn in the side of the national Right. His present band continue to churn out the sort of tuneful, topical but angry punk that the tasteless goons of Ford Nation would find decidedly unappealing.

Titled “Mayor On Crack†and backed with an especially sweet b-side surprise, this will be a limited pressed of 500 copies, 400 on China White vinyl and 100 on Conrad Black, with a small handful on Transparency Clear. The record is in production now and will ship in March.

Sign me up. I collect vinyl, this would be a perfect addition to my collection.

I don't know if anyone will find this interesting - it's certainly not surprising when you think about it - but here is a chart of the number of comments on this thread by month going back to when MetroMan started it in September 2010. Enjoy. Or don't.

View attachment 22243

The December numbers could have been higher if there wasn't that little power failure. Is there a smartphone app for urbantoronto, where we can add comments? I have been looking up urbantoronto on the smartphone's browser, but haven't used it to comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back