News   Jul 17, 2024
 771     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob Ford, Anthony Weiner emblematic of the moral decline of politics

http://o.canada.com/news/politics-a...nthony-weiner-emblematic-of-politics-decline/

At the same time, I can't help but feel that the popularity of much "reality" TV is also symptomatic of some widespread moral and social decline. The rudeness, bullying, dysfunction, substance abuse and flat-out greed that pass for entertainment - and worse, that define the new "celebrity" - sickens me. But in light of all of this one can't help but see why Rob Ford is having his day in the Ford Nation sun :(

At the same time, I can't help but feel that the popularity of much "reality" TV is also symptomatic of some widespread moral and social decline. The rudeness, bullying, dysfunction, substance abuse and flat-out greed that pass for entertainment - and worse, that define the new "celebrity" - sickens me. But in light of all of this one can't help but see why Rob Ford is having his day in the Ford Nation sun :(

I feel that way sometimes, but this xkcd somewhat helps put things in perspective. This comic is specific to the speed of modern life, but I feel like the same principles apply regarding moral decay, or social decline.

Doug is not done with city hall! Anyone really believe he is not running for the next round of elections? He's playing people if they believe he's done!
The Fords own this town thanks to gullible voters who turn up to vote!

Handcuffs for both of them is the only solution.

PS: am I the only one who thinks their behaviour is typical gangsterism? Coerce/ bribe/ shmooze the poor for their loyalty. Then attack the establishment depicting themselves as the underdog, regular man. In my view, their behaviour is totally scripted!

yup. and it's nothing new...

Doug Ford gives $1,000 to help with nutrition cuts
If student nutrition programs take a 10 per cent cut, Councillor Doug Ford offered to pay the difference from his own pocket for a school in his north Etobicoke ward.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/12/07/doug_ford_gives_1000_to_help_with_nutrition_cuts.html

yup. and it's nothing new...

Doug Ford gives $1,000 to help with nutrition cuts
If student nutrition programs take a 10 per cent cut, Councillor Doug Ford offered to pay the difference from his own pocket for a school in his north Etobicoke ward.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/12/07/doug_ford_gives_1000_to_help_with_nutrition_cuts.html

If people just bought enough labels, we could do away with the entire government forever and replace it with Doug & Rob.

Need shelter? Doug will toss you a $20.

Hungry? Scramble to grab a candy cane which Santa Ford will throw at you!

I feel that way sometimes, but this xkcd somewhat helps put things in perspective. This comic is specific to the speed of modern life, but I feel like the same principles apply regarding moral decay, or social decline.

Perspective indeed. I do enjoy your posts and your way of thinking, Bennett, and this one was no different!

Assuming the libel case makes its way before a judge, if Ford says he was relying in good faith on what his neighbours told him, is it possible his neighbours would be called to testify? Would Ford have a valid defence in saying 'I was just going by what my neighbours said about someone looking over my fence/being in my yard and I made a reasonable assumption that it was or could be a pedophile'?

Other than the kids were not in the back yard. Reasonable assumption of that needs more that the guy standing there. If I saw a guy peeking into my backyard, my go to instinct was he was casing the place to rob it, not that he was a Pedo...

Assuming the libel case makes its way before a judge, if Ford says he was relying in good faith on what his neighbours told him, is it possible his neighbours would be called to testify? Would Ford have a valid defence in saying 'I was just going by what my neighbours said about someone looking over my fence/being in my yard and I made a reasonable assumption that it was or could be a pedophile'?

Maybe for calling the cops, but not for repeating the stories three times to journalists when it had long been debunked.

Perhaps, up until the point where Dale identified himself and explained his purpose. At that point the only thing accounting for Ford's continued fist-raised rage was something completely exogenous - like, hmmm, say, a coke bender? The neighbour went quiet - i.e., refusing further comment or even corroboration of Ford's story - very soon thereafter, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back