4.5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 679     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the real estate was bought decades ago when real estate was much more affordable. A lease on a Caddy is pretty affordable to the average upper middle class driver.

True enough re: the real estate, but not the other things I mentioned. Ford doesn't rent his Escalade; it was an outright gift from Doug. And Doug just announced he's making a $50,000 donation to the city for park improvement. It just is not plausible that he would do that (or that he would buy his brother an SUV as a birthday present) if his take-home was less than $200,000 a year. The Fords aren't that generous.

Robbie's legal fees alone must be well into the six figures by this point -- not just the ~$100,000 paid to Alan Lenczner's firm but fees for George Rust D'Eye, Hotmail lawyer, etc.

Last edited:
I don't think people can be blamed for being skeptical that Doug is giving away 50 grand for parks out of the goodness of his heart.

But this is the kind of thing that feeds into the "Fords are charitable, media is out to get him" narrative. "I'm donating my own money for PARKS and they want to twist it that I'm buying votes!" No matter what the real story is. Both camps see it from their side.

Is Rust D'Eye a real name or ?

I covered that earlier in this thread. It is a real name. I was told by Rust D'Eye's daughter (15+ years ago, so my memory may be playing tricks) that it comes from the marital union of two families, the Rusts and the D'Eyes. Sort of like hyphenation, but without the hyphen.

Although George Rust D'Eye told a different story to the Star:

Have to ask: Where does the name come from?
It’s Norman English. It goes back 300 years. It’s the family, Rust, of (D’) the town of Eye (which, incidentally, means “Island”).

Source

Anyway, regardless, it's a real name.

But this is the kind of thing that feeds into the "Fords are charitable, media is out to get him" narrative. "I'm donating my own money for PARKS and they want to twist it that I'm buying votes!" No matter what the real story is. Both camps see it from their side.

Yup. And Ford's fans don't really see why it could be a problem for someone to be avoiding scrutiny with private money the way the Fords do (not just the parks, but donating their salaries, paying their own office expenses, Ford Fests and so on). They either think of things strictly in terms of money ("he can do anything he wants in public office, including criminal activity, as long as I'm not paying for it") or they like the idea of the Fords as a royal family scattering largesse on the peasants (or to use Doug's words, the "common people").

Last edited:
in light of some of the recent arguments of who is or isn't a troll or a reasonable poster, etc, I'll just leave this here... :p
Tencommandmentsofrationaldebate.jpg

Ah, I missed that. Another one of Doug's lies.

At the same time as Douginoccio claimed to one reporter that he and Randy gave it as a gift Robinoccio claimed to another that he had saved up a lot of money to buy the Escalade. But one example of their penchant for uncoordinated simultaneous lying on the same subject.

I believe it is possible to make such a donation on a charitable basis; if so then he can include that in donating his city wages. As discussed 100s of posts ago, if Doug has a good living without his councillor's salary then he can afford to donate that salary to charity - at worst, after deducting the donated total he would owe a couple of thousand dollars of net income tax on that salary. Taking his city wages and then donating them (rather than just waiving his councillor's salary) allows him to decide to whom to donate them.

Last edited:
$4 million in annual sales would not fund the Fords' lifestyles, IMO. That palatial spread of Diane's, Doug giving Rob a new SUV as a birthday present, incurring $100K in legal fees to try to avoid paying a $3,150 fine, the cottage, etc., etc. -- people who take home less than $200K a year (per the calculation upthread) can't afford those things.

ISTR reading Deco's overall sales were actually in the neighbourhood of $30 million, but I can't remember the source.

Where did $4 million in sales come from? I've read $100 million in a couple of different articles... (google will help you with this)
These boys are rich.. I'm sure they could live off the interest of their investments if they tried living modestly.

I'll chime in on another thing - Manuvsteele looks to be a cook at a pub somewhere in Toronto.. He ain't no "hacker" - I'll throw down money on that.

While Doug did state the Escalade was a gift from him, the ITO reveals the vehicle is leased to DECO labels.

It's not so much a LIE as a smart tax move. But in judging Doug it's all about the same thing.

Not if anyone at the Canada Revenue Agency is paying attention (big assumption).

If you use a motor vehicle for business and personal use, you can deduct only the part of the expenses that you paid to earn income.

I don't think trips to City Hall, to the Esso station, the LCBO, the high school parking lot, and Douglas B. Ford Park qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back