4.5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 679     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iRk6f6ElAw&feature=youtu.be

It's frustrating because pro-Ford people scream about nit-picking him to the point that I actually think twice about it, but: look at the way he's thoughtlessly throwing fistfuls of candy canes at people, not even looking at them, making them stoop to pick them up. I wish more of those people were willing to look at little things like this and ask themselves if this honestly strikes them as a "good guy," as a man who genuinely likes and cares about people.

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iRk6f6ElAw&feature=youtu.be

It's frustrating because pro-Ford people scream about nit-picking him to the point that I actually think twice about it, but: look at the way he's thoughtlessly throwing fistfuls of candy canes at people, not even looking at them, making them stoop to pick them up. I wish more of those people were willing to look at little things like this and ask themselves if this honestly strikes them as a "good guy," as a man who genuinely likes and cares about people.

Yikes, that was pretty bad. But there are evidently lots of people willing to overlook his lying, drug use, probable domestic violence, etc, so, to them, what's a little insensitive candy tossing?

EDIT: Plus there is that weird psychological thing people sometimes do, the more evidence proving their beliefs are wrong, the more they dig in with those beliefs. I'll bet some Ford supporters would be willing to overlook ANYTHING. Hell, even Jerry Sandusky has supporters.

Last edited:
Yikes, that was pretty bad. But there are evidently lots of people willing to overlook his lying, drug use, probable domestic violence, etc, so, to them, what's a little insensitive candy tossing?

"Insensitive candy tossing." HAHA. It feels silly to bring up, sure. And yet... how can anybody watch this guy in action and still cling to this belief that he's just a big ol' teddy bear man-of-the-people type who really means well? Because he skates on that perception! And it's just so obviously as much of a lie as everything else about him!

It's like that Hazel McCallion fish story video. Remember that? And how his partisans made such a big deal about how it showed the nice guy side of him? That's not what I saw. I saw a man profoundly ill at ease and only able to manage the most robotic responses to the underhand set-ups everyone around him was lobbing his way. From what I've seen, and I've seen a lot, he flounders in any unscripted human interaction that lasts longer than a handshake. The guy can't even make eye contact with people.

Anyone with media contacts able to report if the story is just delayed or is this another dashed hope? I don't want to go through December with my hopes unnecessarily high.

look at the way he's thoughtlessly throwing fistfuls of candy canes at people, not even looking at them, making them stoop to pick them up.

You mean those useless little mini candy canes nobody wants and isn't going to pick up in the first place?

He was sprinkling the curb with them, and there just happened to be people sitting there who didn't want any in the first place. 90% are going to get swept up by the street cleaners. How about the candy cane handshake.

The whole parade looked pretty lame actually.

Anyone with media contacts able to report if the story is just delayed or is this another dashed hope? I don't want to go through December with my hopes unnecessarily high.

This. Stop the little insidery dance and innuendo and just tell us yes or no.

Possibly they are holding off on the "I can't make eye contact but apparently I can make other types of contact" ( :eek: ) scandal in deference to today's more somber stories/events - that of the fallen officer, and the Huronia retribution.

Pretty sure this is 100% bull, but someone at work said today that soon as they cut Ford's powers they all gave themselves a raise. Anyone know if this claim is based in reality whatsoever?

Still kicking myself in the head for not mentioning all the service cuts that Ford brought in, when he made the claim that he is more honest than McGuinty because he raised taxes when he said he wouldn't.

Pretty sure this is 100% bull, but someone at work said today that soon as they cut Ford's powers they all gave themselves a raise. Anyone know if this claim is based in reality whatsoever?

Looks like the 2014 budget - which hasn't yet gone before council, as far as I know - sets aside some money to raise councillors' pay by about 1.5%.

I don't have any inside knowledge, but I've got more than 20 years experience in the biz (mostly magazines, though. Been a long time since I worked on a news desk). So, for what it's worth, here's my take: Don't hold your breath. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm pretty certain the Star has a substantial file on the Cachet connection, which is what I assume you're asking about. But do they have enough to publish a story they can defend in a libel action that is also newsworthy? By the time the lawyers are through with their comments on what could published and still be defensible, a story might be a wet rag.

I'm only guessing, but I think the Star has interviews with former employees at Cachet, maybe even current ones. How likely is it, though, that any of those people had Rob Ford as a client (or delivered drugs to him or whatever)? They could simply be sharing office gossip, which isn't a strong foundation for a defensible story. And there would be a host of questions around ethics of publishing story on that basis.

Those sources are also no doubt granting interviews with guarantees their identities won't be revealed. That means the journos need a larger body of evidence to support a story. Remember, the Globe didn't publish it's Doug Ford hash story until it had 10 reliable sources with direct knowledge.

The Star is also likely working on hard on developing timelines to show connections between people, places and events at certain times (e.g. the Bier Market party). They'll be interviewing witnesses (or trying to) to paint a fuller picture. But again, these people are probably speaking on condition of anonymity, which means they need a lot more supporting evidence.

This story would be a whole easier to report if there was a whistleblower who came forward and said "I sold sex to the mayor" or "I delivered drugs to Rob Ford." I don't see that happening. In the meantime, given the chatter, it's possible the Star is close to having something they can publish. On the other hand, if the Star was really about to publish an "explosive" story, I think they'd be playing their cards very close to their vests. I wouldn't expect to hear about it from Josh Matlow.

Still kicking myself in the head for not mentioning all the service cuts that Ford brought in, when he made the claim that he is more honest than McGuinty because he raised taxes when he said he wouldn't.

It was reported last week I think, and I believe it comes up for debate shortly, the amount was around 1.5%. Next time the guy at work brings it up, mention the raises Ford gave his "loyal" employees last spring, and again just before they cut his powers. Wish I got 2 substantial raises in one year, but only if I didn't have to work for Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back