5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 709     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the mayor's actions were utterly negligent, we can't call his collision with Pam an "accident". And since it happened in the workplace, she's entitled to have the city cover her. I hope she sues his giant ass off.

If you look at the video of the accidental encounter it almost looked like Ford and McConnell were performing a ballroom dance move this is why it is so ridiculous for McConnell to be claiming that she is "lucky to be alive" after what was a mild encounter with the mayor.

Fred n' Ginger, Joe. That is, if Fred was a 350-lb antagonistic coked-out,failed football lout with criminal associates and a self-entitled, aggro disposition *dancing* with a Ginger who's a granny with 24% visual capability and a sense of decorum. So, yeah, poetry in motion. Nailed it.

If you look at the video of the accidental encounter it almost looked like Ford and McConnell were performing a ballroom dance move this is why it is so ridiculous for McConnell to be claiming that she is "lucky to be alive" after what was a mild encounter with the mayor.
Peepers, watch the video again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o4d6n29dLA
Ford ran and knocked into her and then she fell over. Before she did you can see her slapping him. I don't know what kind of ballroom dancing you've seen but I'm pretty sure running into and hitting your partner is not involved. Not only was this not a mild encounter (how many times can you recall this ever happening?) but as it was happening, and while everyone else around the scene took it seriously, hotmail lawyer was there with a smile on his face. He was loving the moment as you can see here: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/cms/binary/9191948.jpg?size=620x400s. What kind of man is that?

Last edited:
CDR108: Good DB article - I noticed your misspelling at the top and wonder if you meant "Fraud Nation"?

I will ask straight out-How would Canadians react to any thought of a repeal of the Social Insurance safety net in favor of a US style private insurance system
which would probably have the potential of becoming a huge fiasco?

This just gets me - fat cats (no pun intended unless you want to) like Ford who are affluent and can easily afford their own insurance and opt out of a
Government-supported one are trying to push a US style broken system on Canada if they could get away with it...Don't ever let 'em!!!

Ford is thinking about money over human lives knowing that we all will need health care in some form at some time in our lifetimes...
Just like the US Republicans and the right wing Tea Party types are...

LI MIKE

For the record, I am aware that Obamacare is not like the Canadian system, or even a two tiered system. Unfortunately, it seems to be the best the Democrats can get through.

If Americans want to cut down on gun violence, the next best thing they could do besides implementing gun control is to put in some kind of public alternative. Personal responsibility and ideology aside, people will do whatever it takes to survive. If this means robbing people at gun point and selling drugs while shooting up rival gangs who try to take over your territory, so be it.

America's health care system needs reform NOW. Many Western governments have been or are under control of conservatives, but they still have some form of public health care system. Even England under Thatcher, one of the most right winged politicians of the 20th century (and she has a lot of competition to contend with), didn't eliminate the NHS. This is why I am glad to hear Ford say what he did, while far from the most ideal conservative, he may get some Republicans thinking about a two tiered approach.

As for your question, it may happen, but I doubt it. Before being elected, Harper had made statements about wanting a US style system, but he has been pretty tame about going at it, even with a majority. While I would rather see the Canadian Health Act expanded to cover dental and medication, I am guessing it will go the other way. If not two tier, then perhaps user fees to help cover the costs. But I am confident that the US dog eat dog way is not coming here.

If it makes you feel any better, much of the same rhetoric being thrown around down there was being used up here when we were implementing it, if not more so. Especially since at the time the only other countries to implement universal health care were Cuba and North Korea.

Fred n' Ginger, Joe. That is, if Fred was a 350-lb antagonistic coked-out,failed football lout with criminal associates and a self-entitled, aggro disposition *dancing* with a Ginger who's a granny with 24% visual capability and a sense of decorum. So, yeah, poetry in motion. Nailed it.

That was awesome

Ford ran and knocked into her and then she fell over. Before she did you can see her slapping him. I don't know what kind of ballroom dancing you've seen but I'm pretty sure running into and hitting your partner is not involved. Not only was this not a mild encounter (how many times can you recall this ever happening?) but as it was happening, and while everyone else around the scene took it seriously, hotmail lawyer was there with a smile on his face. He was loving the moment as you can see here: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/cms/binary/9191948.jpg?size=620x400s. What kind of man is that?

Would make Dancing With the Stars much more entertaining to watch though.

I was at city council that day and both Fords were flat out, out of control. This was a calculated piece of performance art intended to deflect the fact that Robbie was about to have his nuts handed to him on a plate. Rob and Doug's behaviour was beyond disgusting in the way they treated members of the public, quite apart from their disrespect to the procedures of council. Pam was a few inches away from bashing her head on a glass partition. She's lucky the injuries weren't worse.

Peepers, what's in it for you to minimize what could have been a very serious injury and one which would never have happened without Robbie charging like a teenage madman round the council chamber? Ridiculous how? Pam is a city councillor, not a UFC wrestler.

It was a horrible incident. The complete breakdown of any kind of decorum, with Rob and Doug looking to pick fights with the audience like a tag-team of over the hill wrestlers, was shocking and disgusting. And 350lb Rob Ford running over a five-foot tall 60-something year old woman and hardly giving her a glance of concern as he raced back to puff his chest at his citizen critics shows what a despicable person he truly is. McConnell at the moment was very understated about it, probably out of a desire not to see council further dragged far far back into the Fordian age. It isn't an accident if it's a result of someone operating outside the boundaries of proper comportment in the arena they're in. She should hold him responsible for it. The "lucky to be alive" quote does undermine her cause, so hopefully it's taken here out of context.

The bolded part is what really disgusted me about this incident. Yes, Robbie's a man-child with no impulse control, so when he saw his "teammate" Dougie gooning it up with spectators (à la the Hanson brothers in Slapshot) he had to drop the gloves and skate over to the action. But after knocking the woman down, there was no show of concern on his face at all. And I recall he had to be ordered (I think by Nunziata?) to formally apologize. Because Robbie didn't think he'd done anything wrong: "I was only rushin' over there ta help Dougie out."

I get that people hate liberals and unions and "gravy" and education and bicycles and libraries, but even if I were the sort of person who approved of Ford's simplistic message, I'd find someone a little more adult to support. This guy's despicable and moronic on so many levels.

WK LIS: Thanks for the Doug Ford transcript link!

Last edited:

what it looked like to me, is, once rob noticed he bumped into pam, and he knew he still had momentum, he tried to prevent her from falling by putting her down gently. i think she hit him just out of the surprise contact and grab. could she have been injured during that? maybe... but she was nowhere near run over.

what it looked like to me, is, once rob noticed he bumped into pam, and he knew he still had momentum, he tried to prevent her from falling by putting her down gently. i think she hit him just out of the surprise contact and grab. could she have been injured during that? maybe... but she was nowhere near run over.

I've watched a video a few times and he doesn't even seem to be aware of her, he doesn't look at her before, during or after he runs into her, he's staring off towards wherever Doug was.

Nobody has done more for black youth than Rob Ford. He's spent thousands of hours and thousands of his own dollars on helping them stay away from gangs and drugs. He's Toronto Mandela.

To the Fords, Mandela's the guy who owns the office building at Kipling & Greensboro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back