4.8K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 686     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The task then is for the left to somehow persuade the less well-off that their interests lie in more progressive redistributive-oriented public policy. This may not be as hard as it seems. It has been commented that there is significant overlap between Ford and Jack Layton supporters. Sadly, the last election saw Pantalone runnng on a platform that ALL WAS WELL in Toronto. This is clearly not the case as evidenced by growing inequality and deepening poverty in Toronto. What needs to be done is to provide a candidate that people can feel will watch out for them. And this may be Olivia!

One would certainly hope so. It's a pretty tall order, though, and is definitely easier said than done. All the usual self-serving (and self-deluding) reasons come into play here as to why people at the lower end of the economic spectrum insist on cutting their own throats by supporting the likes of Rob Ford: Ego, ideology, fear, anger, pride, resentment, the pathetic need to feel better about one's own miserable lot in life by having smaller, weaker targets to beat up on. And all wrapped up in a neat little box called tribalism. There are people out there who'd be perfectly content to live under an overpass, roasting pigeons over fires to survive as long as fellow sufferers beneath neighboring overpasses don't even get the pigeons.

Or perhaps they wouldn't be content, exactly...But it would just be one more thing to blame on whatever hated scapegoats happen to be handy. The people sporting this mindset sure as hell aren't going to chalk up any misfortunes to their own stupid, selfish, short-sighted decisions. "I wanna vote fer a Pres'dent/Gov'nor/Mayor that I can have a beer with! What th-? I've been laid off 'cause my business moved overseas? Ain't no more U.I and I don't qualify fer Welfare? Whaddahya mean my health care's been cancelled?!?"

In "From Hell" by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell - and here I'm talking about the excellent book, and not the utterly shitty movie adaptation - there's an early scene in which two characters are having a long, meandering discussion that covers several different subjects. At one point, the topic turns to politics, and one of the men, who fancies himself an intellectual, spouts some standard leftist boilerplate. His companion, who's a retired police detective, replies something along these lines: "That's where you're wrong. The working class aren't interested in universal justice. They don't want your glorious revolution. They just want more money." I know it's a work of fiction, but that latter point is something I've seen at work myself, with total strangers as well as members of my own immediate family.

Didn't crown counsel offer to release the wiretap transcript summaries if the media agreed to hold off on publishing them for 30 days? Sounds to me like they've got something on the burner.

For what it's worth... the stated reason for the 30 day request was in case any of the people involved (ie: Lisi) wants to appeal it.

Is anyone aware of the rumour about the wiretaps involving another councilor? A few people are alluding to that on twitter. It might be Doug they're referring to but I would assume they would just say Doug at that point. I believe at least one of the people on twitter posts here as well.

john lancaster ‏@jlancasterCBC 5m
Decision: portion of Brazen 2 wiretap summaries released later this aft. Remaining material subject to further arguments

here we go:

Tamara Cherry ‏@tamaracherry 7m
"What's being kept from the public right now is unconscionable. It should be out. It should be out right now," Gilliland says re: Lisi ITO

My impression from the context of the tweets is that Gilliland is saying that it is unconscionable that the information isn't public, not that there is further 'unconscionable' activity in the non-public section. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Tamara Cherry ‏@tamaracherry 5m
It sounds as though some of the wiretap information from Project Brazen 2 will be released this afternoon

is anyone aware of the rumour about the wiretaps involving another councilor? A few people are alluding to that on twitter. It might be doug they're referring to but i would assume they would just say doug at that point. I believe at least one of the people on twitter posts here as well.

please be mammoliti please be mammoliti please be mammoliti

Is anyone aware of the rumour about the wiretaps involving another councilor? A few people are alluding to that on twitter. It might be Doug they're referring to but I would assume they would just say Doug at that point. I believe at least one of the people on twitter posts here as well.

It seemed to me that the other day when Doug and Rob were pushing for drug testing all of council, that they knew of some one else on council that did/does drugs.

john lancaster ‏@jlancasterCBC 35s
New: Mayor is mentioned in police wiretaps, but his voice is not heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back