2.8K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 673     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's clearly looking for consensus at the provincial though.

More than Consensus, she wants unanimous consent, which is a specific parliamentary procedural thing that enables you to put through a piece of legislation without needing to go through the 'readings' or any committees. And it really does need to be unanimous. If anyone says no for whatever reason, they have to go through the full process, which takes quite some time.

More than Consensus, she wants unanimous consent, which is a specific parliamentary procedural thing that enables you to put through a piece of legislation without needing to go through the 'readings' or any committees. And it really does need to be unanimous. If anyone says no for whatever reason, they have to go through the full process, which takes quite some time.

It'd be interesting if Holiday was a "no"

I heard rumblings earlier of allegations that Mayor Ford paid members of staff more money to stay on board (and probably stay quiet) throughout this scandal. Anyone know where this rumour started? It kinda makes sense why so many of his staff are sticking by his side. They has only been one major resignation in the past two weeks, right? Not saying that by doing that he was doing anything wrong, but it is an interesting development.

She didn't say consensus with respect to the city. I suppose that would be rather hard to achieve with Mammolitti and brother Ford on council.

She's clearly looking for consensus at the provincial level though.
The biggest problem isn't Mammo, it's the oily cadaver that goes by the name of Norm Kelly.

I don't know how council will be able to clearly indicate to the premier that they cannot function when the last couple of days they have been united like never before. This is the irony of the situation. Mayor Ford has brought all sides of council together.

I don't know how council will be able to clearly indicate to the premier that they cannot function when the last couple of days they have been united like never before. This is the irony of the situation. Mayor Ford has brought all sides of council together.

And this will work for another 11 months???

I heard rumblings earlier of allegations that Mayor Ford paid members of staff more money to stay on board (and probably stay quiet) throughout this scandal. Anyone know where this rumour started? It kinda makes sense why so many of his staff are sticking by his side. They has only been one major resignation in the past two weeks, right? Not saying that by doing that he was doing anything wrong, but it is an interesting development.

It's allegedly in the redacted information - though I do like the allegation that David Price is being paid $130k per year instead of $70k the position is supposed to garner...

Interesting, do you have anything you can point me to (legislation for example) with respect to this specific parliamentary procedure (arcane as it is)?

I don't know about the rumour but it's mentioned in yesterday's version of the ITO.

Ironically, there are french-speakers in both of those areas. Montreal has seen several exoduses since the 1960's, in some part because of language laws, but a shift in the Quebec economy has been the issue of late.

Welland, Ontario has a large French population because at one time, Welland had jobs in the steel and machinery industries and many French Canadians moved there between the 1920s and 1950s. It's not just a post-PQ phenomenon. Historical settlements result in a few outposts in Penetangushine and Essex County, but the "French Belt" is from Hawksbury/Cornwall through Ottawa, skips Renfrew County and North Bay and follows Highway 11 through the Little and Great Clay Belts, Timmins, Kapuskasing and Hearst and 17 through Sturgeon Falls and Sudbury.)

We're not quite a bilingual province like New Brunswick is. Most municipal governments, Toronto included, are not required to provide many services in French. The province provides all public communications in French, but very few provincial employees must speak it (mostly communications staff and service/agency staff in French service areas.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back