787     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 708     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 303     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish passive, enduring truth were actually able to destroy lies and sway public opinion, but it does not; Any multitude of organized religions around the world, climate change deniers and anti-science groups prove. People will always *want* to believe in lies that soothe and comfort and give a false sense of empowerment, over cold, bitter truth. That is human nature.

Truth requires playing by a set of social and ethical rules, and thus is limited in its reach and ability to sway. You must fight to reveal the truth, it cannot sit around languidly waiting to be discovered. Or by the time it finally gets dusted off, too many minds have already been set in stone. This is the whole reason that journalism exists, and why those who have an agenda set in lies always attack the press first.

Great, great post.

The second paragraph is so bang-on. Mind if I borrow it?

I wish passive, enduring truth were actually able to destroy lies and sway public opinion, but it does not; Any multitude of organized religions around the world, climate change deniers and anti-science groups prove that. People will always *want* to believe in lies that soothe and comfort and give a false sense of empowerment, over cold, bitter truth. That is human nature.

Truth requires playing by a set of social and ethical rules, and thus is limited in its reach and ability to sway. You must fight to reveal the truth, it cannot sit around languidly waiting to be discovered. Or by the time it finally gets dusted off, too many minds have already been set in stone. This is the whole reason that journalism exists, and why those who have an agenda set in lies always attack the press first.

I think we're in agreement, which is why I really like the video that has been posted of the protestors. The woman in the video is loudly proclaiming truths without trying to dumb them down so as not to offend Ford Nation. It's not about trying to be sensitive toward Ford Nation, or trying to mock them. It's about voicing the truth. If those facts make Ford Nation feel uncomfortable, then that's their issue to deal with.

Someone else made the earlier comparison to the gay rights movement. "We're here, we're queer, and we're not going away" certainly alienated a lot of people at first, but it was a true statement and it endured.

In the early evening of August 27, 2013, police responded to a domestic incident at the mayor's house. "The call was categorized as a domestic assault."

So when did you stop beating your wife again, Rob?

I still don't understand why his 2008 arrest for domestic violence wasn't an issue during the 2010 campaign. That should have disqualified him right there. I'm really no fan of negative advertisement, but in the US, his political opponents would have had a field day. Imagine the TV ad: "His own wife is scared of him, so why should you trust him?"

I always find it interesting how when faced with allegations of many natures over the years the Fords either ignore them or brush/laugh them off easily EXCEPT when it's of a sexual nature - that seems to get them really angry, defensive and gets a straight up denial or legal threats immediately (the recent prostitute stuff, the "box" comments, Thomson...).
No armchair Freuding here... just an observation.

I always find it interesting how when faced with allegations of many natures over the years the Fords either ignore them or brush/laugh them off easily EXCEPT when it's of a sexual nature - that seems to get them really angry, defensive and gets a straight up denial or legal threats immediately (the recent prostitute stuff, the "box" comments, Thomson...).
No armchair Freuding here... just an observation.

The other allegations don't come with potentially massive divorce settlements...

So if you're curious as to what Rob Ford's reply is to the sex allegations. Here it is:

"I'm happily married, I've got more than enough to eat at home".

Look at this clown denying these new stuff and saying he is going to take legal action, why should we believe anything that comes from his lying mouth.

Look at this clown denying these new stuff and saying he is going to take legal action, why should we believe anything that comes from his lying mouth.

Where is he denying and threatening legal action? Is it Doug or Rob? I think we all know the last thing these idiots want is to be scrutinized in a court of law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back