854     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 768     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 324     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about how much "drowning sorrows" and "chasing away demons" Rob Ford reportedly does. Alcohol, weed, cocaine, crack, oxycontin. I'm NOT saying this is the case with the mayor, but I must observe that it's very common for individuals who were in some way abused at a young age to follow such a pattern. I can't be the only one who's had this thought. If that were the case here, it would add a very sad dimension to the story. And Rob is not the only reported addict in his family.

His entire family is bizarre. His sister was allegedly a member of the KKK or an affiliated group.

To be completely honest with you I think those who have the propensity to continue reposting this video to the thread have a skewed vision of what the majority of voters in this democracy see as representing them. I think if you ask the average person on Dixington or Willowdale or Kennedy who represents them more, Ford or the protesters, they'll say the former... and I think that's largely what helped him get elected, it was the view of the majority of voters of this city that they are being unfairly controlled by the type of people in this video.

I side far more with the people in the video, actually, but I don't really see the point of continuous reposting, what happened happened but we're currently fighting for the hearts and minds of Agincourt not Leslieville and we face the image of ourselves slamming down their throats once again. Be gentle, they've had a hard time of it, they live in Agincourt for God's sake.

I'm from Agincourt, and I think it's more important for a political message to be true than to be popular. Rob Ford rose to power by telling lies that were easy and convenient for the people of Toronto to swallow. This video does the opposite. Lies inevitably fall apart. Truth endures.

I've been thinking about how much "drowning sorrows" and "chasing away demons" Rob Ford reportedly does. Alcohol, weed, cocaine, crack, oxycontin. I'm NOT saying this is the case with the mayor, but I must observe that it's very common for individuals who were in some way abused at a young age to follow such a pattern. I can't be the only one who's had this thought. If that were the case here, it would add a very sad dimension to the story. And Rob is not the only reported addict in his family.

OKay I'm not going to say this is impossible, obviously, because it happens. But I can tell you that I've done all of those things, some to massive excess, and I was never abused in any way. I know you're NOT saying it's the case, but even suggesting it can be a little dangerous. Some people just like to get fucked up for whatever reason. Abuse is a pretty serious thing to jump to. Again, not impossible, but pretty wild speculation.

Problem is the people in the video were all against Ford to begin with. Don't get me wrong, it's good they're there because we need to show the world an image that the people of Toronto "won't stand for this", but the Comic Sans Libs won't bring him down... the Steeles Tim Hortons Sun Readers will, because if you take an overview of the city the latter represents the centre more than the former 10:1, and the thread they were hanging on has been cut over the past 6 hours.
I know where you are coming from and yes, it can appear that way when you see the usual suspects with the placards, flags and funny hats. However, from talking to a few people and listening to conversations there were actually quite a few people who just walked up from the Financial District over their lunches to do something about this situation. Also, one of the organizers was also a Ford voter and admitted as much on the loud speaker.

OKay I'm not going to say this is impossible, obviously, because it happens. But I can tell you that I've done all of those things, some to massive excess, and I was never abused in any way. I know you're NOT saying it's the case, but even suggesting it can be a little dangerous. Some people just like to get fucked up for whatever reason. Abuse is a pretty serious thing to jump to. Again, not impossible, but pretty wild speculation.

You're absolutely right. I'm not suggesting anything actually occurred, but it bears mentioning that abuse takes many forms other than the most sensational kinds, and addiction is often transmitted in this way from parents to children. It must be asked with regard to any person with a long term addiction: what deep pain is being suppressed?

To be completely honest with you I think those who have the propensity to continue reposting this video to the thread have a skewed vision of what the majority of voters in this democracy see as representing them. I think if you ask the average person on Dixington or Willowdale or Kennedy who represents them more, Ford or the protesters, they'll say the former... and I think that's largely what helped him get elected, it was the view of the majority of voters of this city that they are being unfairly controlled by the type of people in this video.

I side far more with the people in the video, actually, but I don't really see the point of continuous reposting, what happened happened but we're currently fighting for the hearts and minds of Agincourt not Leslieville and we face the image of ourselves slamming down their throats once again. Be gentle, they've had a hard time of it, they live in Agincourt for God's sake.
you know, I understand the instinct to be non-confrontational when dealing with political opponents, the concept of always leave room for your enemy to become your friend. The problem comes when people translate that into tip-toeing around the volatile fringe, trying not to "set them off."

I was starting to see this as a modern "tea-party" issue, where, thanks to political polarization, every candidate has to avoid arising ire from any vocal group lest that small percentage represents the margin between victory and failure at the polls.

Then I suddenly realized this isn't new, and I've been through it before: to wit, the early days of the gay rights movement, even as recently as twenty or thirty years ago, when the gay rights* activists were often being criticized by the more assimilated gay community who didn't want to rock the boat, or "make a scene."

The truth is sometimes you have to get confrontational and get your message across. The worst of the Ford Nation types don't necessarily see the diplomatic approach as mature as much as a sign of weakness, and frankly those people need a rude awakening.

All this worry about how the Ford Nation will react....! If I can resort to an old line from the early gay rights movement: "Stop worrying so much about what the neighbours might say, because the truth is they're already saying it anyway."

* back then it kind of predated the LGBTQ label

Last edited:
You're absolutely right. I'm not suggesting anything actually occurred, but it bears mentioning that abuse takes many forms other than the most sensational kinds, and addiction is often transmitted in this way from parents to children. It must be asked with regard to any person with a long term addiction: what deep pain is being suppressed?

I always just thought drugs were a lot of fun when I was doing lots of them. And as for the deep pain being suppressed, sometimes once you get started for whatever reason the deep pain being suppressed is the deep pain of not having any drugs.

Just saying, while it's of course possible you're right, armchair psychology is a dangerous game.

I always just thought drugs were a lot of fun when I was doing lots of them. And as for the deep pain being suppressed, sometimes once you get started for whatever reason the deep pain being suppressed is the deep pain of not having any drugs.

Just saying, while it's of course possible you're right, armchair psychology is a dangerous game.

There is a difference between doing a lot of drugs and being an addict. That was the crux of the Ford discussion (addict, or just likes to party?) until today's new release of information, which makes the answer more clear.

However, I will concede that some drugs, like oxy in particular, lend themselves more readily to purely physical addiction due to the nature of their chemical compositions. Hell, I might as well admit... when I open a bag of Lays chips, I can't eat just one, and I was raised in a positive environment.

Anyone else kinda feel bad for Sandro?

Dude was left scrambling for a bus after court while being chased by the media.

The Family couldn't even have a car ready to whisk him away.

Sandro, if you're reading this... when you came out of court that time on the pot bust, did you expect a ride? Were you a little bit surprised you were left, on our own?

I was.

There is a difference between doing a lot of drugs and being an addict. That was the crux of the Ford discussion (addict, or just likes to party?) until today's new release of information, which makes the answer more clear.

However, I will concede that some drugs, like oxy in particular, lend themselves more readily to purely physical addiction due to the nature of their chemical compositions. Hell, I might as well admit... when I open a bag of Lays chips, I can't eat just one, and I was raised in a positive environment.

Even the "psychologically" addictive drugs, especially the really powerful ones, can have that affect. What once was "just liking to party" once you party with something like that too often can get you right to that place. The thing with crack is you feel like god for 30 seconds, really goddamn good for three to five minutes after a hit, and then you IMMEDIATELY want more. I mean you want more so badly that if you're running out you're looking around on the ground and picking up anything small and white that might be a dropped piece of rock and putting it in your pipe (or partially crushed pop can with holes made with a safety pin that you've covered with cigarette ash, but I wouldn't know anything about that haha) and trying to smoke it. That horrible depression when you're not on it might be your fucked up life or your childhood sexual abuse or the fact that you're dangerously unqualified for your job and get pushed around by your bully brothers and domineering mother, or it could just be that you don't feel as awesome as you do right after you've smoked some rock and that's depressing as shit.

I have mentioned it a few times. No one picks it up though.
Especially because *all the children in that family are messed up, it is easy to hypothesize that abuse happened.
edit; to my perspective it is not armchair psychology so much as speculation on the genesis of this family's problems. This thread has been mostly speculation, with a few source-based tidbits thrown in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back