567     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 578     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 279     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, who doesn't make it to the Huffington Post? It's not like their bar is set very high..

They announce "BIGFOOT HAS BEEN FOUND" every time a dead squirrel washes up on a beach.

City Council is mostly a closed club. Maybe a third of the people sitting on council are there because of who their parent or sibling or spouse is. Elections only happen every four years and even clearly inept or unethical councillors (Mammo) are difficult to remove from their seats. So advances by newer communities do take time. Earlier I mentioned the strong representation by Jewish and Italian members on council. These were groups that were economically ascendant in the 50s and 60s. Somebody a couple pages back mentioned Neshi. Toronto could easily elect the right visible minority person. There'd be at least as many (and I'd guess many more) people voting for that person because they welcomed the change as there'd be people voting against because they were in someway uncomfortable with minorities. Chow's a different matter. She has the necessary resume and she certainly represents what many people in downtown Toronto seek in a mayor, but she'd also be getting a big bump from the memory of her husband. Be as much the continuance of a pattern as breaking a ceiling.

Last edited:
I personally have nothing against Olivia Chow; I hope she does run, and I would/will vote for her.
But, I think if we're to put a "non-white", "non-male" in office for those reasons we're taking a SERIOUS step backward when it comes to equality.

You missed the other word which facepalming_brooklynite used to describe why Olivia Chow might be good for the city: "leadership".

That's a critical omission which devalues your critique, surely?

Last edited:
Seriously, who doesn't make it to the Huffington Post? It's not like their bar is set very high..
The article is basically his letter to his constituents which was posted here earlier. What irks me is that he says people knew about Ford's dishonesty, drug use, homophobia and racism so basically you get what you vote for, and politicians shouldn't be removed by other politicians. I find that all a little too facile. Yes, some of us knew about Ford before the election, and that's why we DIDN'T vote for him. Not everyone bases their vote on an informed choice, however. And yes, while we can't go around removing politicians at the drop of a hat, there are sometimes extenuating circumstances where action should be taken.

Using their age, race, or gender to judge their fitness for the job is exactly the bigoted attitude that led to the problems you're attempting to correct.
There is also symbolic politics. The challenge is to make so-called "minorities" truly feel like they are part of a whole. This would be easier if some of the political leaders were from some of these background. That's why I meant it would be good for Toronto, especially given Olivia Chow's ample qualification for the job.

Whenever I hear the "Get the Old White Men out of politics" lines It drives me insane.
I didn't say that! And I'm a white man myself.

gATvfPj.jpg

edit: "He wants to go into politics when he grows up!"

Attachments

• gATvfPj.jpg
    gATvfPj.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
I have 2 phones, tablet, macbook & pc in front of me & some of the stuff was spread over several comps too, so easier just to snap on cell

ManuvSteele:

I'm probably just taking the bait, but...

There are a lot of frustrated, exhausted people on this thread who just want answers and a sense that at least closure is approaching. You're here yukking it up, dangling information while saying precisely nothing. If you aren't trolling and give a shit at all, would you just consider staying out of the thread until you CAN share whatever info you have?

no problem, I only came on here to clear up a few personal rumours.

I'm not middle aged, not a thug, not suburban,not over-weight & I tweet bout a lot more than Boats & hoes.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back