715     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 664     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 295     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really quite pathetic when white people get all pissy when someone brings up racism.

That's pretty racist. Period. You win the hypocrite of the week award, though. Way to go!

Here are some facts: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/communities/reports/poverty_profile/snapshot.shtml. Or if you need something more specifically related to political representation, how about the fact that Toronto's population is roughly 50% visible minority, but City Council is less than 10% visible minority (to say nothing about even worse minority representation in other corridors of power in the public and private sectors).

'Whites' have been established in Toronto for centuries, it sort of follows that they would be a little more established in society as a demographic... and by 'whites' i'm assuming you would lump all of us in the same category, you know including jews, gays or lighter coloured brown skins like latinos?

Whatever! Coltaine puts it best, that it takes a little time for new communities to establish themselves to a point where they will start to participate in wider society, and earn their place in it based on merit. We are already seeing the tip of this iceberg, thankfully.

Frankly, I don't see what's racist about saying "fucking minorities". First, we don't know the context. Second, Toronto's Carribean and African community (i.e Blacks) are minorities. Whether the community consisted of Middle Eastern, East Indian, South Asian...all can be described as minorities. What's racist about using that term? I don't think Rob would be using language deemed racist to Blacks when the crew he's hanging out with are themselves Black.

The "faggot" remark...yes, definitely homophobic. Even though many use it as a general insult, it's still a bad word that most well to do people would avoid.

Well again, back to an earlier point of mine, we've set the bar of what's tolerable pretty low when we start justifying in this way. When Ford calls Trudeau a faggot it is pretty clear that this is not a compliment... and given the context, the fact that he hangs around with much younger visible minorities is far more about exploitation than anything else.

I thought the poster was referring to this particular UT thread, not Canadian society.
Sorry! That interpretation didn't even occur to me! By "here" I meant Toronto, not the thread!

My issue is with those who would vote for Chow simply because she is female, an immigrant, and non-Caucasian.
I don't think that the point is to vote for her simply because of her ethnicity. I mainly think that it would be a good thing for Toronto, and somewhat overdue, to have a mayor who is not from of white British-descent.

My involvement will become clearer later.. after I make a few calls.
Within 10 mins of article published I got a msg saying someone called Vice & gave my screenname, something vice did not have, only a middleman contact did.
I'm trying to find out who that was too.

Whatever! Coltaine puts it best, that it takes a little time for new communities to establish themselves to a point where they will start to participate in wider society, and earn their place in it based on merit. We are already seeing the tip of this iceberg, thankfully.

Globalization must also be put into the equation. Ethnic communities, can live in both worlds, the country they reside in, and the country from which they hail, through easy travel, internet etc. Allowing them to remain/be politically active in the country of family origin, which in some cases can be of more importance than the politics of the country in which they are currently residing.

(Beyer, Kurien, Casanova, Lyon, Van Die - all authors who have written on the impact of globalization on immigrants and minorities)

Globalization must also be put into the equation. Ethnic communities, can live in both worlds, the country they reside in, and the country from which they hail, through easy travel, internet etc. Allowing them to remain/be politically active in the country of family origin, which in some cases can be of more importance than the politics of the country in which they are currently residing.

(Beyer, Kurien, Casanova, Lyon, Van Die - all authors who have written on the impact of globalization on immigrants and minorities)
You're cute when you talk all smart ; )

My involvement will become clearer later.. after I make a few calls.
Within 10 mins of article published I got a msg saying someone called Vice & gave my screenname, something vice did not have, only a middleman contact did.
I'm trying to find out who that was too.

Hence the interest in Peepers, when he made the connect.

All caught up:

re: personal problems
I can't comment on personal problems that may or may not exist

re: ManuvSteele
It's you, not the story. And it's because of the way have behaved and treated people on twitter. When you constantly act like a troll, people are going to think you're a troll. Perhaps you should rethink the way you present yourself online if you want to be taken seriously.

re: ethnic minorities in Toronto
Have there been many ethnic minorities who have run for Mayor? You can't have an ethnic Mayor if no one runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back