5.3K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 745     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking a step back, it occurs to me just how incredibly crummy a politician Rob Ford, is. The guy is incredibly inept, allowing all the KPMG stuff to spill out all over the front pages as though the findings are gospel. These KPMG findings are not done deals.

I get that Ford wants to usher in change, and a lot of it, so a substantial part of his strategy should be "managing the message". He's failing miserably at that. I shouldn't be giving him tips in this forum but what the heck, the horses have left the stable now, and that is too bad for Ford. Ford is his own worst enemy.
Your take on this whole thing is even more out of whack than you think Rob Ford is.

Of course the KPMG reports arte not done deals - they were never supposed to be. They were hired to perform an external (ideally impartial) review of what are core services and what are not, and where savings could be found. The reports were always supposed to be made public to make the entire discussion open and transparent.

That you think these were leaked or spilled and that the message wasn't being controlled just makes me shake my head.

Prediction: les frères Ford will shake up the city and light a flame under it... which will be good. Maybe it just takes their brand of dangerous goofiness to rouse Toronto from its comfortable apathy.

His supporters are a special bunch:

separate bike lanes so that increased congestion is not created for the few who want to ride bikes versus the workers who drive.

Those bycycle cops are just having fun on our tax dollar, ban them!

That was sarcasm, for those who don't have a sense of humor.

Mayor Ford encourages Torontonians to come and speak next Thursday:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/mayor-ford-invites-residents-to-tell-him-what-to-keep-cut/article2106583/

Quote Mayor Ford:

“I encourage people to come to the executive committee next Thursday,” he said during an interview on CP24. “Everyone has five minutes to talk to me personally at our executive committee. I invite the whole city. I don’t care if we have to sit there for three days. I don’t want to have people ... they have five minutes to tell me what business do you think we should be in. And it’s next Thursday at 9:30 at city hall. Come and let me know what you think – the average taxpayer out there – what are we doing right, what are we doing wrong. I want to hear from the people and I encourage them to come. “

Let's be clear, Ford's Executive Committee has openly reviled citizen input and even debate amongst council. Denzil Minan-Wong has said that he doesn't think consultations are "representative" of the general public at large, and Doug Holiday maintains that debate in committee and council "costs taxpayers" money by delaying items.

Let's be clear, Ford's Executive Committee has openly reviled citizen input and even debate amongst council. Denzil Minan-Wong has said that he doesn't think consultations are "representative" of the general public at large, and Doug Holiday maintains that debate in committee and council "costs taxpayers" money by delaying items.

My wife and a few of her friends, had often presented deputations at committee meetings, during the Miller years. Since Ford took over, they have tried to get their five minutes at a number of meetings without success. The room is often stacked with Ford supporters.

Then enlighten us, Mr Oracle, on what exactly is going to happen over the next 3 1/2 years. I imagine you have access to a time machine or are extremely close friends with all of Ford's allies on council and can read their thoughts.

And please illustrate how wanting to rescue this city from a complete mugging by a couple of right wing ideologues who know nothing of what makes a city great is a "left-wing" dream.

Or perhaps you just dropped this pearl of wisdom to ruffle feathers. i.e. trolling

Are you kidding me, Automation Gallery lives to ruffle feathers and start right VS. left controversy. If he can't piss someone off, he's not happy. (much like his "Ford Nation" friends) When was the last time you've seen that guy contribute anything meaningful to UT, like videos or pictures? Don't expect people like that to go out of their way to contribute anything.

It's never about making things better, it's always about tearing things down.

Last edited:
It's not a done deal by any stretch, but it's not an impossible goal. There are currently ~19 councillors who vote against the mayor more times than not. 23 votes are needed for a majority.

Thanks for the analysis. How far can a majority of council go against Ford? Would it be within reason to expect that if councillors snap out of it and realize that Ford is destroying the city that they bind together and run it without him?

Taking that a step further, any possibility that we may see a councillor emerge from within that majority and become our effective Mayor?

Are you kidding me, Automation Gallery lives to ruffle feathers and start right VS. left controversy. If he can't piss someone off, he's not happy. (much like his "Ford Nation" friends) When was the last time you've seen that guy contribute anything meaningful to UT, like videos or pictures? Don't expect people like that to go out of their way to contribute anything.

Yeah, I keep forgetting, you're not supposed to feed these critters.

He was just on CP24, being softballed by Stephen LeDrew. His answer to everything is the same. "The taxpayers, they say: Rob, we've had enough of this waste and we can't pay any more property tax, and we know only you will take get this under control", "My football team, they say: Rob, if you're not going to coach we're not going to play, so I have to do it for the good of the players". It begins to sound delusional. In some ways he's not the mayor, he's the Channel 4 Action News Looking Out For You man. He's still claiming to return every phone call, but I seem to recall reports of people calling him during the Jarvis bike lane and Pride Week controversies and receiving no personal response.

If that's anywhere near close to true (a lot of people do feel that way) this city is in trouble. I can often understand the resentment towards government workers, but people need to get their heads out of the sand and take a look at reality.

It's never about making things better, it's always about tearing things down.

What was it that Alfred said to Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins again? "Some men, master Bruce, just want to watch the world burn".... I have a female co-worker at work that behaves in the exact same manner. They thrive on conflict and causing chaos and disruption. They create chaos for the sake of revelling in it.

TO be factual, he hasn't actually DONE anything yet... .there has been a lot of speculation, feather ruffling, the media is really driving certain readers into a frenzy. Let's wait to see when/if the axe comes down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back