5.4K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 753     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cyclists should just pretend the bike lanes still exist. Mayor Doug Ford and his cronies have this idea that bicycles are recreational means of transportation. As though a person riding on the street is some selfish person tying up traffic just for exercise or fun, and not someone who wants to go somewhere cheaply and efficiently. Every single person (pedestrian, cyclist, motorist) wants to get from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time. If you need to get somewhere quickly, you are not going to take a meandering route!

Doug doesn't seem to read books either it seems. Seems to have a thing against libraries. Would rather have more doughnuts than books. See this link.

Yeah, what's with the anti-intellectual sentiment from conservatives??? I mean don't parents like libraries and getting kids to read instead of watching tv or video games? Aren't conservatives all for "family values"?

Hmm, I get it now. For Robbie and Dougie, "gravy" is everything except police and motorist infrastructure. If this were a dictatorship, I would really hate to see what Toronto would look like after 4 years.

Campaign expense audit waived for Ford allies

It was all smiles and handshakes in Committee Room 3 at City Hall Wednesday after a committee decided not to audit the campaign expenses for four council allies of Mayor Rob Ford.

“Way to go, boys,†said Councillor Michael Del Grande, the city budget chief, who had come in to the meeting of the compliance audit to observe. He shook hands with councillors Giorgio Mammoliti, James Pasternak and Michael Thompson after the committee ruled unanimously against auditing their spending.

The committee also decided not to audit Councillor Doug Ford’s spending. Mr. Ford, the Mayor’s brother, sent a laywer but did not attend the hearing.

All four candidates raised more money in the city race last year than municipal rules allowed them to spend. To satisfy the rules, in each case the candidates listed chunks of cash on their expense filings as “total campaign expenses that were not subject to the spending limit.†Expenses for fundraising events are not counted towards campaign spending limits.

Presently my signature says "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think". This may be quite apropos for these times.

I've been considering changing it to "Calling all living former Toronto mayors: Help! Speak up! Stop the Insanity!!!"

Last edited:
Here’s a brilliant recommendation, I mean option, from the 20-something new-intake MBAs at KPMG:

Consider eliminating Housing Improvement Loans program or delivering it through a third party or a community agency. However, this would eliminate access to federally funded loans by Toronto residents.

Here’s a brilliant recommendation, I mean option, from the 20-something new-intake MBAs at KPMG:

Crazy, isn't it?

Apparently heritage, public health and the library are all "gravy".

I hope they don't cut the late night TTC buses on any routes. They're actually quite well used.

It's kind of scary to think what Toronto might be like by the time they're done. I don't mind a few of the ideas, but most of them will whittle away at the Toronto we all enjoy...such things should be improved upon, not stripped.

Crazy, isn't it?

Apparently heritage, public health and the library are all "gravy".

I hope they don't cut the late night TTC buses on any routes. They're actually quite well used.

Yeh night shift workers that can't afford cars, it's always the most vulnerable that get hit the hardest.

Heritage- what exactly is that? And who the heck needs libraries anymore- everything is online now anyway right? *sarcasm*

Last edited:
Yeh night shift workers that can't afford cars, it's always the most vulnerable that get hit the hardest.

Heritage- what exactly is that? And who the heck needs libraries anymore- everything is online now anyway right? *sarcasm*

The city would be taking such a huge step back by cancelling the Blue Night service. How can a major world city not have late night/early morning transit service?!

And yet most people can't seem to understand that reinstating all these service cuts, which will be done at some point in the future, will end up costing even more.

You have to wonder if this breathes life into what little life McGunity and co. have in the months before the provincial election. They could point no further to Rob Ford and the slash and burn Conservative ideology penetrating Toronto City Hall, and remind people of Mike Harris and the implications of a provincial Conservative government.

Of course, the implications of the Ford cutbacks will not likely be felt until next year. Perhaps it will take cutbacks to crossing guards and snow removal for people to wake up, long after the provincial election.

It's still a bit of a long-shot, but a collapse in support for Ford's ideology could well help McGuinty (or bypass the Libs and help the NDP!) It's a crazy world out there and I suddenly wouldn't want to bet on anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back