5.4K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 753     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still a bit of a long-shot, but a collapse in support for Ford's ideology could well help McGuinty (or bypass the Libs and help the NDP!) It's a crazy world out there and I suddenly wouldn't want to bet on anything.

I've had a theory from the last election. Miller knew it would be a rough ride for the next four years. The best outcome would be he wins but faces a very hostile council who pins every problem on him. So he walks. Fast forward four years and the right has dwindling support and the centre is groaning for an anybody but the incumbent election. Miller returns to "save Toronto".

Yes, it is a long shot, but I think right now it has a 5% chance of happening and the odds will only get higher over then next three years.

Last edited:
I seriously wonder what the reaction of suburbanites would be, if Rob Ford declared that he was tearing down the ROM and the AGO, selling off all the art and artifacts, and building some super parking lots. Would there be a great outcry in Scarborough? Would the good people of Etobicoke be proud? Would the North York crowd be excited to have new parking areas downtown?

Seriously, what do you think would be the reaction? Apathy?

I really would love to see what their reaction would be. Someone should print out a fake Toronto Star article, saying just that, and go there to interview people on the street. It could be quite informative but it could also be heart-breaking.

Last edited:
I think we're stuck with the Mayors Ford until they start getting hammered on the Sun's front page. No amount of math or logic can convince them if they're just skipping from the sunshine girl to the sports section. The Ford Horde needs to be told by one of their own. Then it'll be tar-and-feather time.

I think we're stuck with the Mayors Ford until they start getting hammered on the Sun's front page. No amount of math or logic can convince them if they're just skipping from the sunshine girl to the sports section. The Ford Horde needs to be told by one of their own. Then it'll be tar-and-feather time.
I see that Talk 1010 is becoming increasingly critical of Ford(s).

Taking a step back, it occurs to me just how incredibly crummy a politician Rob Ford, is. The guy is incredibly inept, allowing all the KPMG stuff to spill out all over the front pages as though the findings are gospel. These KPMG findings are not done deals.

I get that Ford wants to usher in change, and a lot of it, so a substantial part of his strategy should be "managing the message". He's failing miserably at that. I shouldn't be giving him tips in this forum but what the heck, the horses have left the stable now, and that is too bad for Ford. Ford is his own worst enemy.

Last edited:
I see that Talk 1010 is becoming increasingly critical of Ford(s).

I usually listen to 1010 but not lately. And since I hate Jerry Agar, who's just a white elitist asshole, I'll tune in to the Richards show later. He's really funny...

Last edited:
Up to 2.5 years ago, I always listen to 1010 until it when to the dogs. Don't listen to it at all these days.

When I talk to people in power on various things around the world, they kept saying why don't we impeach this clown, but our laws doesn't allow us that right.

He was just on CP24, being softballed by Stephen LeDrew. His answer to everything is the same. "The taxpayers, they say: Rob, we've had enough of this waste and we can't pay any more property tax, and we know only you will take get this under control", "My football team, they say: Rob, if you're not going to coach we're not going to play, so I have to do it for the good of the players". It begins to sound delusional. In some ways he's not the mayor, he's the Channel 4 Action News Looking Out For You man. He's still claiming to return every phone call, but I seem to recall reports of people calling him during the Jarvis bike lane and Pride Week controversies and receiving no personal response.

The statement about the streetcar network was extremely disturbing. Thankfully the article also pointed out that Karen Stintz's support of the brothers Ford seems to be cracking.
Has anyone heard reports of other right wing councilors starting to withdraw their support?
This is definitely something to watch. I'm not a fan of Karen Stintz, but she's admittedly bright, and her continued support of these clowns could actually hurt her re-election chances. I can see her being the first major crack and it could be coming sooner than later.

This is definitely something to watch. I'm not a fan of Karen Stintz, but she's admittedly bright, and her continued support of these clowns could actually hurt her re-election chances. I can see her being the first major crack and it could be coming sooner than later.
We are 1,193 days (3 years, 3 months, 5 days) from Toronto's next municpal election on Monday, October 27, 2014. I imagine by Day 500 even the most conservative City Councillor will be working very hard to distance themselves from this train wreck.

David Miller swung us to the tax/spend/nanny Left. Ford swung us to the cut/slash/DIY Right. The next mayor will likely fall into the middle. Unless we become polarized like the US,

Last edited:
Councillor James Pasternak, a new guy but a staunch Ford ally, said yesterday that he would not support any library closures. Councillor Jaye Robinson, who's in a similar situation, retweeted something from Shelley Carroll today which indicated support for the Toronto Atmospheric Fund. Both Michelle Berardinetti -- a Ford ally -- and Josh Colle -- a mushy middler -- are going to face a tough situation when the Mayor and his brother (inevitably) actively campaign against family members in the fall provincial election.

It's not a done deal by any stretch, but it's not an impossible goal. There are currently ~19 councillors who vote against the mayor more times than not. 23 votes are needed for a majority.

Hahaha:D, that would be a left-wing dream come true...Sorry, thats just not going to happen.

Then enlighten us, Mr Oracle, on what exactly is going to happen over the next 3 1/2 years. I imagine you have access to a time machine or are extremely close friends with all of Ford's allies on council and can read their thoughts.

And please illustrate how wanting to rescue this city from a complete mugging by a couple of right wing ideologues who know nothing of what makes a city great is a "left-wing" dream.

Or perhaps you just dropped this pearl of wisdom to ruffle feathers. i.e. trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back