1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 994     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, but you guys are talking about fake democracy. Proportional representation naturally leads to collaboration and consensus.

PS: Churchill was awesome.

It's not fake - it's the Westminister model of parliamentary democracy. I am not a fan of it necessarily, but calling it "fake" implies that some models of democracy are more legitimate than others, which is bit of an oversimplicity. Besides, PR can have it's own pitfalls - e.g. Italy and Israel being the most blatant example. I don't consider those outcomes to be particularly democratic either.

And yes, even direct democracy can result in utterly abhorrent outcomes - e.g. the ban on Minarets in certain Swiss cantons.

AoD

Ultimately I feel these whole saga will benefit people like Ford in the future, as I can't see this doing anything but driving more people away from voting. All the scandals and blatant corruption at every level of government all over the country, plus an increasingly shitty economy is only going to cause more people to disengage from a system that appears to be a fucking joke to anybody pulling down less than 6 figures.

Ultimately I feel these whole saga will benefit people like Ford in the future, as I can't see this doing anything but driving more people away from voting. All the scandals and blatant corruption at every level of government all over the country, plus an increasingly shitty economy is only going to cause more people to disengage from a system that appears to be a fucking joke to anybody pulling down less than 6 figures.

Well sure... except that attitude is precisely what a ruling elite would prefer the underclass believe at all times. Might as well lie down and let 'em steamroll ya.

I was just saying something similar to my husband. Ford is a symptom of a far bigger problem. I am super politically engaged, I have a political science degree, I've never missed voting in an election, I've worked on multiple campaigns, and I'm losing the urge to participate. Something needs to change because as the pp said, this is what "they" want.

A John Blair has worked at GFL since February 2013. Can't get any clues on a relationship with Bill but he looks a hell of a lot like him.

Well sure... except that attitude is precisely what a ruling elite would prefer the underclass believe at all times. Might as well lie down and let 'em steamroll ya.

The last time I tried to do something, to make my voice heard and excerise my democractic rights, I and others were attacked, beaten and kidnapped by police officers for our trouble, and the media did their very best to gloss over it. I suspect that if voting were truly capable of reversing our current circumstances (instead of at best, delaying things getting worse for a time) at this point they would make it illegal.

I still vote, but it's more or less an act of muscle memory and desperation.

What does this statement mean with respect to Toronto Municipal politics? It's not a party system.

It is just one step in helping to engage people in voting again. People are losing interest federally and provincially because of scandals across the board, and because they feel they didn't vote for who is in power.
I should have said PR and a ranked balloting system. .... which I believe city council did indeed vote to support this past summer.

It's a tiny picture where the face is completely in dark shadow. And you're convinced they look like brothers because they have the same last name. It's quite nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back