423     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 481     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Olivia Chow, take a walk through Toronto Necroplis in Cabbagetown and you'll notice lots of famous graves:

Joseph Bloore

William Lyon Mackenzie - Toronto's first mayor and leader of the 1837 Upper Canada Rebellion

George Brown - One of the Fathers of Confederation and founder of what is now The Globe and Mail

John Ross Robertson - founder of the Toronto Telegram

Wilson Ruffin Abbott - successful Black Canadian businessman and landowner

Dr. Anderson Ruffin Abbott - first Canadian-born black surgeon

Ned Hanlan - world-champion oarsman

Thornton Blackburn - former slave who made his way to Canada on the "Underground Railroad" and established the first cab company in Toronto (1890)

Ainsworth Dyer - a corporal in Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and died in Afghanistan in 2002

Senator John Macdonald (1824-1890) - Canadian merchant, churchman, philanthropist, and politician

Kay Christie (1911-1994) - Canadian Nursing Sister in Hong Kong during the Japanese Invasion during WWII. One of two Canadian Nursing sisters to have been held as a Prisoner of War

And...

Jack Layton (1950-2011) - politician (Toronto city councillor, later leader of the New Democratic Party)

You'll notice Jack's grave because it's the only one in the cemetary with a very prominent podium and bust of the the person's head. It's so incredibly tacky in an otherwise beautiful setting.

William Lyon Mackenzie, George Brown and the rest just have normal tasteful headstones. Jack has a huge monument to himself. It's brutal.

A generation from now he'll be forgotten and people will walk thorugh the Necroplis and say who's this guy and why does he have a bronze bust of his head?!

Yes, because this is what matters. And I'm sure Jack was in on the decision. And of course there aren't any other markers to some of the others buried there. Like William Lyon Mackenzie. Or George Brown.

Speaking of Olivia Chow, take a walk through Toronto Necroplis in Cabbagetown and you'll notice lots of famous graves:

You'll notice Jack's grave because it's the only one in the cemetary with a very prominent podium and bust of the the person's head. It's so incredibly tacky in an otherwise beautiful setting.
William Lyon Mackenzie, George Brown and the rest just have normal tasteful headstones. Jack has a huge monument to himself. It's brutal.
A generation from now he'll be forgotten and people will walk thorugh the Necroplis and say who's this guy and why does he have a bronze bust of his head?!

This deserves more criticism than his headstone:

jack-and-olivia-trekkies.jpg

Last edited:
I had a long-winded response to your post, but AoD put it more succinctly.
I'd prioritize the DRL. Then I'd build an LRT with as many stops as would be required for max ridership. Not a weak-ass 3 stop subway.

Well, considering the province said they won't fund the city's 3-stop plan, only their own 2-stop plan, Scarborough gets a weak-ass 2-stop subway.

Ironically, the greater distance between stops than the SRT means more buses need to be on the road to get people to and from that subway. Scarborites already seem to have issues with buses, they'll be riding them longer and farther in order to save on transferring from one train to another.

Last edited:
If it costs us a billion dollars to convince the people of Scarborough that an LRT would have been better, I guess that is the price we pay. Now if only this fiasco could wake Torontonians up to the fact that extending subway lines by a few stops into the suburbs is a classic political scam that our city has been screwed over by many times before.

I'm sure Jack was in on the decision.

Of course he was in on the decision. They didn't put up a bust of his head without his wishes. It wasn't done by his fans. It was done by him.

In 50 years everyone will be saying Jack who? Beacuse unlike those other people he didn't actually accomplish anything other than leading an opposition party.

The other reason why SRT is more urgent than the DRL is that the Eglinton line is already under construction and it should be built integral with the SRT to create a proper network. Thus, the decision to put the Eglinton line ahead of the DRL has also forced the SRT to be done before the DRL as well.

By the time a southbound YUS subway train gets to Eglinton during crush hour, it's already packed. The Crosstown is going to make that situation much, much worse. Without removing some of the load further down the line, people transferring from the BD line could be waiting 5 or more cars just to get on. A DRL (Don Mills/Eglinton plan) would take a lot of the load off the Crosstown and YUS from commuters intending to get to the core. All the people in the new development in Leaside could take a short trip *East* to a subway they wouldn't need to transfer from in order to get downtown. The Crosstown would be in a better position to serve its intended purpose as a northern east-west corridor, rather than just another feeder for the YUS.

If it costs us a billion dollars to convince the people of Scarborough that an LRT would have been better, I guess that is the price we pay. Now if only this fiasco could wake Torontonians up to the fact that extending subway lines by a few stops into the suburbs is a classic political scam that our city has been screwed over by many times before.
Well, since Rob & Doug have saved us a billion dollars, it was cost neutral. (sarcasm, hopefully obviously)

Joseph Bloore

William Lyon Mackenzie - Toronto's first mayor and leader of the 1837 Upper Canada Rebellion

George Brown - One of the Fathers of Confederation and founder of what is now The Globe and Mail

John Ross Robertson - founder of the Toronto Telegram

Wilson Ruffin Abbott - successful Black Canadian businessman and landowner

Dr. Anderson Ruffin Abbott - first Canadian-born black surgeon

Ned Hanlan - world-champion oarsman

Thornton Blackburn - former slave who made his way to Canada on the "Underground Railroad" and established the first cab company in Toronto (1890)

Ainsworth Dyer - a corporal in Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and died in Afghanistan in 2002

Senator John Macdonald (1824-1890) - Canadian merchant, churchman, philanthropist, and politician

Kay Christie (1911-1994) - Canadian Nursing Sister in Hong Kong during the Japanese Invasion during WWII. One of two Canadian Nursing sisters to have been held as a Prisoner of War

And...

Jack Layton (1950-2011) - politician (Toronto city councillor, later leader of the New Democratic Party)

The guy is a clown and him and Olivia are such shams. Stalin had a massive headstone too! so much for being champions of equality lol .

Indeed, the Vaughan extension does little to help the TTC. Each person who lives outside of Toronto that rides the TTC costs us more than those who pay Toronto property tax, as most of the non-farebox funding comes from the city. Big money is being spent to attract riders who cost us more money. This is the first extension outside of Toronto (or, pre-amalgamated Metro Toronto) and is a mistake in my opinion.

This could've been better served by improving service on the Barrie GO line.

Indeed, the Vaughan extension does little to help the TTC. Each person who lives outside of Toronto that rides the TTC costs us more than those who pay Toronto property tax, as most of the non-farebox funding comes from the city. Big money is being spent to attract riders who cost us more money. This is the first extension outside of Toronto (or, pre-amalgamated Metro Toronto) and is a mistake in my opinion.

This could've been better served by improving service on the Barrie GO line.

Purely political move to appease Greg Sorbara/Murizio Bevilacqua and the development money that is involved. I think a proper planning move was to have the Go train run more often or have more stops. I would assume that Vaughan would contribute an operating percentage to the city? It's also mind boggling that they would need to 'tunnel' all the way up there through farm land instead of having an at grade system like existing sections of the Spadina line.

Last edited:
Of course he was in on the decision. They didn't put up a bust of his head without his wishes. It wasn't done by his fans. It was done by him.

In 50 years everyone will be saying Jack who? Beacuse unlike those other people he didn't actually accomplish anything other than leading an opposition party.

Go find the Jack Layton/NDP thread and take your ramblings there.

js97:

Purely political move to appease Greg Sorbara/Murizio Bevilacqua and the development money that is involved. I think a proper planning move was to have the Go train run more often or have more stops. I would assume that Vaughan would contribute an operating percentage to the city? It's also mind boggling that they would need to 'tunnel' all the way up there through farm land instead of having an at grade system like existing sections of the Spadina line

How is that different from subways on Finch (which doesn't even have trip generators like York U to sort of justify the Spadina extension).

AoD

Purely political move to appease Greg Sorbara/Murizio Bevilacqua and the development money that is involved. I think a proper planning move was to have the Go train run more often or have more stops. I would assume that Vaughan would contribute an operating percentage to the city? It's also mind boggling that they would need to 'tunnel' all the way up there through farm land instead of having an at grade system like existing sections of the Spadina line.
Farm land? Have you even been up there? How can you put a subway at grade through there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back