568     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 580     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 279     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If fact based plans and reality based planning are off the table, and if our elected leaders suddenly eject both in exchange for suburban votes, I highly doubt city hall is worth the fancy new chairs they sit on.

We had a brilliant transit plan ready to go and the bellicose, ignorant, opportunistic and (I’m sorry to say) downright stupid allowed it to be torn away from the citizens of this city. The organization that was supposed to lend some semblance of control and sanity, Metrolinx, has proven itself it be an utterly useless waste of time and money. What is the point of its existence, currently?

I moved here from Ottawa in 99 and frankly, I’ve seen little change in Toronto except for the dreadful repetition of unimaginative glass box condo towers and a vast influx of people attempting to use crumbling, overcrowded and neglected transit infrastructure and blighted waterfront.

We can’t even call it spunky grunginess like NYC experienced in the late 70s/early 80s. People have almost even given up being angry and engaged with the political process in this city. All I see is eye rolls, shrugs, and sighs. Toronto is drowning in a deep viscous pit of MALAISE. It’s almost ironic that the rest of the country constantly spits on Toronto, but the people who are hardest on Toronto are Torontonians. They don’t expect anything anymore other than to watch ideas appear, get stripped down, changed 10 times, killed, brought back to life, have the budget torn away, die again… over and over. There’s no forward momentum on anything. People are burnt out on mediocrity and inability for the city to become something. I know I am.

... Metro Man, do you want to respond to this?

Stintz hasn't put her support behind Olivia Chow. She's still running for mayor. MetroMan is usually right about most of what he posts, but I'm not sure where the false rumour came from that she isn't running.

I'm privy to some information inside John Laschinger's camp and what I've heard is that not only is Stintz not running, she is actively assisting Chow's campaign. This may change in the future if it became clear that Ford were not running but at the moment, Stintz' main goal right now is to get Ford out of office to return City Hall to some sort of functioning body.

No doubt Chow would let her keep her TTC Chair and that's where she benefits to help the odds on winner of the next election. She knows that she can't beat Chow in a 3 way race and she doesn't intend to sacrifice her Councillor chair to try to prove that wrong.

My Toronto includes all of this city.

All of it.

Having spent a good chunk of 5 years listening to people from all over this city for a previous job, I can categorically indicate that there are FAR more similarities then differences between people in the inner suburbs and people in the downtown.

The biggest commonality is a circle of care, however that is defined – be it a family, friends, workplace or institution – this is paramount to people.

Enjoying life is a primary desire.

Living safely is a primary desire.

There are differences in how those things are defined. But, the motivation to live and the desires, the stuff on the scale of needs, is the same.

I love this city.

From Mimico to Malvern. From Rexdale to the beaches below the bluffs in the South East. Like many of us, I have, in one way shape or form, probably walked all of Yonge within this city.

It is beautiful. It is vibrant, it is much stronger then its politicians make it out to be and it is a good place to live. When I bother to listen to people, when I bother to hear what they want, to hear what they are succeeding at, to hear what they want for their families, friends, neighbours, I see far more in common across this city then others do.

And yet, I despair. It is in our nature to want what is perfect. Our city is a mess. It was built too late to take advantage of the pre war approach to city building much of the world took. When it matured, it was undercut by car lovers and followers of Robert Moses who demanded transit support their highway visions (here I’m thinking of the Allen subway route over the Dufferin one). And large swaths matured later then others, with huge chunks of Scarborough being corn fields until relatively recently. The coherence of the city as a whole was avoided (and will be by pols for another 30 years) in deference to neighbourhood groups more worried about maintaining property values and keeping taxes low then building a services to suit a group of people no longer small enough to help out through just the property tax base. And, the Canadian version of the Westminster parliamentary system has been bastardized here to put party above all, whereas in Westminster, it puts local community above all and in the US, it puts local rep money hand outs above all.

I see this last 8 years as a tremendous waste both on the transit file and on the fiscal file; I also see this the last hurrah of the 90′s era local pols, both in the inner suburbs and in the core. We will soon see a group of politicians who never were involved in local politics pre-amalgamation and do not have the same loyalties. Out of all that will come change.

As for who will lead, who will bind us, I would argue that, rightly or not, the last 2 mayors have had large success, electorally, at coalescing people behind an idea. Miller was about change and professionalism – Ford was about change and letting in people who, for various reasons, thought they were out.

There is still a great hunger in this city for authentic leadership, that tries to do the right thing without putting down others who disagree. The comment boards are not a good indicator of how Torontonians think.

I hope we have an opportunity next year to discover who that leader is.

I suspect we will.

A reminder to some here.

I'm privy to some information inside John Laschinger's camp and what I've heard is that not only is Stintz not running, she is actively assisting Chow's campaign. This may change in the future if it became clear that Ford were not running but at the moment, Stintz' main goal right now is to get Ford out of office to return City Hall to some sort of functioning body.

No doubt Chow would let her keep her TTC Chair and that's where she benefits to help the odds on winner of the next election. She knows that she can't beat Chow in a 3 way race and she doesn't intend to sacrifice her Councillor chair to try to prove that wrong.

Karen is smart. But she could campaign on the scarborough subway could she not?

Karen is smart. But she could campaign on the scarborough subway could she not?

Ford has done a great job of taking the credit for that subway and Stintz is on record voting for the LRT and fighting subways in Scarborough. She could win some support from rational voters but I think most just want Ford gone and Stintz isn't the one to do it if Chow is in the race.

Someone I know works for Karen. What you've heard is incorrect.

He looks like his normal rambling self...
Looks better than usual not all flushed and red.

his eyes are like barely open and nothing of what he says is even remotely coherent. plus he's slurring, swaying from side to side, with that shit-eating grin. compare that with some of his shrieking in council, it's a different mindstate, for sure.

eta: compare
2mDzBEs.jpg

Last edited:
Ford: "While the photo of me is being taken completely out of context, the photo of the rec worker is real, the person was sleeping because I say so and there's no way that photo is being taken out of context"
eat it buddy
To Ford: Ford, please stop making excuses. You are not a saint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back