724     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 669     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 296     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, doesn't it seem like the funding will all pretty much fall into place? The city will generate their side by .25% over 6 years, the province will kick in that $300, and its done. Getting the fed money was by far the least likely portion.

From what I understand the 0.25% won't cover it... but I could be wrong about that.

It is very much the equivalent of a large pizza per household per year.

It would not be enough to pay for the subway though.

No, 1.6% phased in over 6 years is about .25% per year increase (compounded) which I believe is what has been estimated to cover the financing of the city portion. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1.6% is not without its controversy, however:

Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong, another member of the mayor’s executive, questioned the wisdom of using property taxes to finance transit expansion. “You are going down a slippery slope,†he warned, predicting that closing the funding gap will be “a real challenge.â€

Scarborough Councillor Gary Crawford, who backs the subway extension, said the 1.6-per-cent increase estimate from the city manager is more than he is comfortable supporting. “That’s a lot of extra dough that we’d have to put in,†he said.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...funding-for-subway-extension/article14512506/

(First-time poster, regular reader: Hello!)

Well it seems like the Sun may have decided the the subway is a bad idea. Maybe.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/24/what-a-scarborough-subway-really-means

Holy crap, they have a reasonable opinion based on sound logic, facts and figures. What the hell is going on? Did some intern hack the system and post an editorial after the day staff went home for the night? Or were they just able to unplug Sue-Ann Levy's keyboard long enough to write it and post it? In any event, I'm still shocked.

Joking aside, I thought part of Council's conditions for approving a scarborough subway is that the DRL gets built first - am I alone in this and/or remembering wrong??

Joking aside, I thought part of Council's conditions for approving a scarborough subway is that the DRL gets built first - am I alone in this and/or remembering wrong??

If it is a condition, I'm sure they could and likely would just eliminate that and whatever other conditions are holding up approval, I'm sure there are a few other conditions that have not been met such as $1.8 Billion in funding from the province,

If it is a condition, I'm sure they could and likely would just eliminate that and whatever other conditions are holding up approval, I'm sure there are a few other conditions that have not been met such as $1.8 Billion in funding from the province,

The sad thing is that this Scarborough line is shaping up to have about the same cost as the first phase of the DRL. We now have the money and are throwing it away on an uneeded extension.

They could build a terrific LRT and then put the rest of the money into the DRL, with revenue tools making up the rest.

The sad thing is that this Scarborough line is shaping up to have about the same cost as the first phase of the DRL. We now have the money and are throwing it away on an uneeded extension.

They could build a terrific LRT and then put the rest of the money into the DRL, with revenue tools making up the rest.

Yes, but while the DRL will help commuters from Scarborough it is not in Scarborough, and people are stupid, and politicians pander, so c'est la vie.

BREAKING: I heard today from a well placed City Hall source that Karen Stintz will defer to Olivia Chow and will not run for Mayor. Her goal is to see Ford taken out and understands that a one on one Chow vs Ford election is the best chance at guaranteeing that Rob Ford is removed from office. She probably also sees that she has little chance of beating Olivia Chow as long as Ford is also in the race.

If the only other high profile candidate John Tory also stays out, then this becomes a two man race with only small names trying fruitlessly to get in. Denzil Minan-Wong and Michael Thompson would be foolish to think they can change the dynamics of that kind race. Soknacki might also fall off the radar if no other big name forces the election into a multi man race.

Final thought: with Stintz now out and if John Tory does the same, I think Ford is beyond toast. Chow is scoring above 50% in polls with Ford never breaking into the mid 30's.

BREAKING: I heard today from a well placed City Hall source that Karen Stintz will defer to Olivia Chow and will not run for Mayor. Her goal is to see Ford taken out and understands that a one on one Chow vs Ford election is the best chance at guaranteeing that Rob Ford is removed from office. She probably also sees that she has little chance of beating Olivia Chow as long as Ford is also in the race.

If the only other high profile candidate John Tory also stays out, then this becomes a two man race with only small names trying fruitlessly to get in. Denzil Minan-Wong and Michael Thompson would be foolish to think they can change the dynamics of that kind race. Soknacki might also fall off the radar if no other big name forces the election into a multi man race.

Final thought: with Stintz now out and if John Tory does the same, I think Ford is beyond toast. Chow is scoring above 50% in polls with Ford never breaking into the mid 30's.

You can't trust the polls though. The media is out to get Rob Ford, remember? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back