789     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 712     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 303     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chow is very popular with young people (who happen to be those who are willing to vote but did not bother last time). She can energize that demographic into voting. That is how Obama became popular; he got the young people to vote.

Maybe she can get shitfaced and stumble down College Street to see how many people want a photo with her.

Interestingly enough, they didn't report where the respondents were located as papers usually do when reporting poll results.
Also, when these phone polls are conducted, I believe it is only land lines that they are calling, which tends to centre around older folks (more likely to support Ford) rather than young people.

Apparently Rob Ford's approval rating has gone up, and "he's on a roll" according to this poll exclusive to The Sun

Heh, the pollster sure is good at talking english - "He’s got now like three or four months to make his case..."
As others have said, it's curious that they didn't mention where the surveys were done - I could easily make the case that Ford has a 0% approval rating by asking, well, everyone that I know. But that'd kind of skew the results...

Also, when these phone polls are conducted, I believe it is only land lines that they are calling, which tends to centre around older folks (more likely to support Ford) rather than young people.

You're correct - Forum only calls landlines. That and the Saturday/Sunday polling both skew results as most respondents are older (50+) and more 'white'.

You're correct - Forum only calls landlines. That and the Saturday/Sunday polling both skew results as most respondents are older (50+) and more 'white'.
No wonder why the news channels kept advertising Grey Power (an insurance firm that proudly advertises that it does not serve those who are under half a century old) with their minute-long ads. The news channels (based on their advertisers) are biased against young people.

Last edited:

Remember that approval rating does not necessarily 100% equate that those people will be voting for Ford. I could agree with Ford's performance, but if I see someone else better, I could vote for that other candidate instead.

Actually, I had seen Miller at a bar or two in his tenure and he was quite approachable...a few people did actually sit down and have a beer with him.

By comparison, and rather ironically, I *can't* see Ford as a good bar buddy in practice: he'd likely be uptight, tongue-tied, nervous as always, and more engaged in getting sloshed than in getting conversational, etc...

"Examples" is plural. Where are the rest of the supposedly numerous examples?

Look: given where hawc's coming from...well, that's the kind of mentality which'd deem Christopher Hume a "bully" and a "hater" on account of his architectural criticism, never mind his political articles...

Ford is the most divisive Mayor in Toronto history (or at least the past 30 years or so). Divide and conquer is his go-to tactic. His standard rhetoric always includes a comment about the 'left' or the 'downtown elitists' (which become social welfare leeches when it suits him) trying to deny the good, hard working people of the suburbs what they deserve.

The entire Scarborough subway extension is an exercise in divisive politics.

I would love to see legitimate examples of Ford being attacked. As it stands now, his supporters label anything an 'attack' - questioning his policy, questioning his inappropriate behaviour, pointing out his lies...all of it is deemed an 'attack' by his fanbase.

Ah, but when it comes to a CowboyLogic sort, "divisive" = "not CowboyLogic-friendly" For you see, that's what message-boarding Libertrollian wingnuts dig about the Ford mayoralty: it's about the only opportunity they have for a foot into actual power. Otherwise, they'd be "divisive'd" off into fringe territory.

Would any other serious mayoral candidate have allowed a Mark Towhey type into the inner circle?

So we have our first declared Election 2014 Ford opponent: former City Councillor David Soknacki -- a Conservative. With Conservative Karen Stintz almost certainly running and Conservative Councillors Denzil Minan-Wong and Michael Thompson biting the inside of their cheeks, the right is getting really crowded. On the left we had Shelley Carroll who's already promised to stay out if Olivia Chow is running. Then there's Adam Vaughan who the media seems to be more interested in him running than he is. In reality, Vaughan's perfectly comfortable as a shoe in life long Councillor where he can continue to make a big difference in one of the city's most important wards. He's not running. So far it's just Olivia (although I'm still hearing whispers of Pantalone and Giambrone both wanting to make a comeback but I find both unlikely to succeed in any measure).

While I don't think that vote splitting on the Right is going to affect Ford too much and that this may be more of a Ford against everybody else rather than a Rights vs Left battle, I'm convinced that having a bunch of Conservatives piling up on Ford will hurt him with the real Conservative demographic who just want an effective Conservative in power. Some of them will no doubt play the bad cop role here doling out negative ads. How else is a Conservative going to run against Ford? They're going to want to prove how ineffective he's been in moving forward a Conservative agenda.

The recent approval ratings improvement and subway victory for Ford notwithstanding, I think his odds of winning the next election are getting even worse with Soknacki's entry into the race. It'll be the first of at least 2 more.

Last edited:
So we have our first declared Election 2014 Ford opponent: former City Councillor David Soknacki -- a Conservative. With Conservative Karen Stintz almost certainly running and Conservative Councillors Denzil Minan-Wong and Michael Thompson biting the inside of their cheeks, the right is getting really crowded. On the left we had Shelley Carroll who's already promised to stay out if Olivia Chow is running. Then there's Adam Vaughan who the media seems to be more interested in him running than he is. In reality, Vaughan's perfectly comfortable as a shoe in life long Councillor where he can continue to make a big difference in one of the city's most important wards. He's not running. So far it's just Olivia (although I'm still hearing whispers of Pantalone and Giambrone both wanting to make a comeback but I find both unlikely to succeed in any measure).

While I don't think that vote splitting on the Right is going to affect Ford too much and that this may be more of a Ford against everybody else rather than a Rights vs Left battle, I'm convinced that having a bunch of Conservatives piling up on Ford will hurt him with the real Conservative demographic who just want an effective Conservative in power. Some of them will no doubt play the bad cop role here doling out negative ads. How else is a Conservative going to run against Ford? They're going to want to prove how ineffective he's been in moving forward a Conservative agenda.

The recent approval ratings improvement and subway victory for Ford notwithstanding, I think his odds of winning the next election are getting even worse with Soknacki's entry into the race. It'll be the first of at least 2 more.

The problem Soknacki has is that he was David Miller's Budget Chief in his first term. Ford will simply dismiss him as a Miller ally which will go a long way to ruining his credibility with Ford's base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back