1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 413     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, all this fear about vote-splitting is overblown in my opinion. Ford won in 2010 because he was actually a very good candidate against a slate of duds almost all fighting over the same anti-Miller message. Seriously, can anyone actually remember what Smitherman, Rossi, and Thomson stood for, other than basically claiming to be less-scary versions of Ford? All three of them seemed to expect that people were mad enough at Miller, but unwilling to vote for Ford, so they should win by default.

Feeling the room suddenly start to spinnnnnnnnnnn, as I read the words, 'Ford won in 2010 because he was actually a very good candidate'. Reaching for the smelling salts!

i just finished watching season 1 of the newsroom. if havelove is some jr producer at ctv riling us all up for a story about trolls, i will be kind of pissed off. especially if there's no sloan sabbith on here.

That's really funny. I was thinking the exact same thing. Havelove is winning some sort of troll competition as we speak.

My property taxes in Vaughan with 5500 sq ft house on 3/4 acre wooded lot sold for $750000 were much less than my 1500 sq ft $750000 condo in downtown Toronto.

No they weren't .....

So Ford's strength was not fighting over the same anti-Miller message?

Nope, Ford offered us something (even if many think it's not a good idea). If we are so misguided about wanting subways, the opposition should have campaigned and shown the benefits of other transit over subways instead of jamming Miller down our throats (the guy you quoted is dead on). Chow or Tory (or anyone other than Stintz) has a good chance of swaying Ford voters if they can bring something to the table such as showing the difference in transit costs.

As for the "scandal", let the police do their job and be patient for results, if it has something to do with Ford it will be known (not "known" as it is thrown around right now), then make judgement. Although that's obviously too late, he's already "guilty". :rolleyes:

Jinx

Last edited:
Feeling the room suddenly start to spinnnnnnnnnnn, as I read the words, 'Ford won in 2010 because he was actually a very good candidate'. Reaching for the smelling salts!

Though being a "very good candidate" can only take one so far--in the case of James Traficant, it was good for 15% as an independent from prison and 16% as an independent post-prison...

I wasn't asking you. You've established yourself as a liar, so it doesn't really matter what you say.

No, you (and a couple other weirdos) have established me as a liar because I didn't leave after 8 posts after having a different opinion and taking offense to your attack at my intelligence based on those opinions, and I didn't leave because the very same people filled my inbox with replies quoting me...

In a Public Forum, you do not have to be asked to reply to something. Anyways, I will actually leave now so you can have your victory party. But I promise I will come back after the next mayoral vote and share my opinion on why he won again.

Last edited:
No, you (and a couple other weirdos) have established me as a liar because I didn't leave after 8 posts after having a different opinion and taking offense to your attack at my intelligence based on those opinions, and I didn't leave because the very same people filled my inbox with replies quoting me...

In a Public Forum, you do not have to be asked to reply to something. Anyways, I will actually leave now so you can have your victory party. But I promise I will come back after the next mayoral vote and share my opinion on why he won again.

Rihanna_PicTMZ_274449605.jpg

We had it coming!

Incidentally, re HaveLove's derisive labelling of certain of us "weirdos": doesn't that contradict his knock on "group-think" and his boast of being able to think for himself? After all, if anyone's traditionally embodied such virtues, it's those persons labelled "weirdo". That is: technically, and by his own admission even, HaveLove is a pot calling the kettle black.

Though yeah: commonly held perceptions of "weirdo" change over time. A couple of generations ago, the label might have attached itself to homosexuals; these days, it's more likely to attach themselves to squirmy homophobes a la how Rob Ford's pigeonholed on occasion...

Nope, Ford offered us something (even if many think it's not a good idea). If we are so misguided about wanting subways, the opposition should have campaigned and shown the benefits of other transit over subways instead of jamming Miller down our throats (the guy you quoted is dead on). Chow or Tory (or anyone other than Stintz) has a good chance of swaying Ford voters if they can bring something to the table such as showing the difference in transit costs.

The problem was not about subways, it's about Rob Ford's two mutually exclusive ideas- subways without municipal money and low taxes. Again, I've got to reiterate to you that if Ford was serious about subway building, he would have made those cuts, raised the taxes needed and petitioned Ottawa for more funding. Except he didn't, and decided that talking about subways would be better than actually working towards getting the funding needed for building them. By the time that crucial vote occured last year, it was no longer about Miller's LRTs vs. Subways, it was LRTs vs. NOTHING.

I swear that it was only through the efforts of Glenn de Baeremaeker, Karen Stintz (who wanted to remove her anti-subway stigma) and the provincial Liberals (who wanted to keep those seats) that the Scarborough LRT has been cancelled and the Bloor Extension raised as an alterative. Ford has had very little to do with it.

So Ford's strength was not fighting over the same anti-Miller message?

Ford offered the most authentic delivery of the anti-Miller message. Ford had a very clear message that was completely consistent with his record as a councilor: cut taxes and put drivers first. He made all kinds of very specific promises that seemed to fulfill that message: cancel transit city, stop making bike lanes, cancel the VRT and the LTT, privatize garbage collection (right after the strike).

I think the real appeal of Ford's message was not necessarily the content, but the fact that there was simply no competing message from any of the other candidates. Can anyone remember what Smitherman, Pantalone, Rossi, or Thomson campaigned on? Smitherman in particular was all over the place. He tried to get to the right of Ford by promising a tax freeze (something Ford didn't do), but then also tried to appease the left by supporting Transit City and making vague statements about the importance of city building. As a leftist myself, I didn't believe Smitherman for a second, and I doubt many on the right or the centre did either.

I suspect Chow, Stintz, and Tory will enter the race with very clear campaign strategies. Ford is going to be in a much more complicated position this time around, because every promise he makes will be weighed against his record. It remains to be seen whether his record will end up being an asset or a burden. It will all depend on which issues end up becoming the focus on the campaign trail.

Another instance of limited reporting that has a beneficial effect for Ford. The Globe reports the city has a surplus- but Ontario municipalities are prevented from having deficits by law, hence every mayor in these last years have all had surpluses. But because most people don't know it and/or don't remember, they instead attribute this to Ford's financial prowess.

The bigger issue here is that rather than investing the surplus into something beneficial like the shortfall needed to make the Scarborough subway happen, Ford has instead decided to cut the land transfer tax (which really impacts property flippers the most). This will lead to further problems down the road as the city still needs to deal with its aging infrastructure and growing population.

Toronto headed for surplus, but cuts loom
ELIZABETH CHURCH
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF — From Friday's Globe and Mail (includes clarification)

Toronto is headed for a $167.4-million surplus this year, but the city’s new budget chair, Frank Di Giorgio, says he is hoping the final numbers will be higher.

The expected surplus is in part thanks to higher-than-expected revenue from the land-transfer tax and salary savings from unfilled vacancies, says a new staff report to be considered by the budget committee Tuesday.

That same report states that the city ended the first six months of 2013 with a $158.6-million surplus, including an extra $16.8-million from land-transfer taxes.

Mr. Di Giorgio, about to oversee his first round of budget talks, says he would like to end 2013 with more cash than staff are than forecast to cover some looming bills, including new TTC vehicles.

“I am anticipating some pretty high requirements,” he said Thursday.

While final numbers are not available, Mr. Di Giorgio said he expects the city will have to find about $250-million in spending cuts to balance the books in 2014. That figure includes a $50-million cut to provincial funding for housing, announced this year, and about $35-million in savings required to fulfill Mayor Rob Ford’s goal of cutting the land-transfer tax by 10 per cent.

Mr. Di Giorgio said he is expecting council to push back on the proposed cut.

A new provincial policy, announced this week, to expand the availability of tasers to police forces also is likely to put pressure on the city budget, he said.

The budget update shows the police force has failed to make $6.7-million in spending cuts. It forecasts that police will finish the year with a $2.1-million budget deficit.

The TTC also is expected to finish the year $1.1-million in the red because of increased demand for its Wheel-Trans services.

Editor's Note: The surplus numbers for the City of Toronto stated in this article are gross, not net, numbers.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ed-for-surplus-but-cuts-loom/article14033487/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back