1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 432     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford offered the most authentic delivery of the anti-Miller message.
LOL. I'll give you that. Ford turned Smitherman's a little angry and crazy stance on it's head ... being very angry and borderline certifiable.

It was a poor slate. Rossi and Thompson didn't even believe their own platforms, both jumping ship from their party after the election. Pantalone didn't seem to have an original thought, and Smitherman was always a bit Ford-lite.

I think its even more remarkable that Karen Stintz is this competitive, for the reason you mention but also due to the fact that her name recognition isn't nearly as strong as Tory or Chow. I'm sure Chow is happy to see a lot of potential candidates coming out from the centre-right. As MM said, she will likely be the flag bearer for the Left with little competition within her ideological camp.

How can Stintz be competitive. She took the TTC chair job to implement Ford's subway plan. Then she restored the Transit City plan. Then she brought out her OneCity plan with a subway to Scarborough. Then she voted for the Transit City LRT plan. Now she supports the subway up McCowan to Sheppard. The file she was given for the past 3 years has been completely bungled by her constant flip-flopping.
Her only chance for support comes from people who hate the other candidates. No one actually supports her.

How can Stintz be competitive. She took the TTC chair job to implement Ford's subway plan. Then she restored the Transit City plan. Then she brought out her OneCity plan with a subway to Scarborough. Then she voted for the Transit City LRT plan. Now she supports the subway up McCowan to Sheppard. The file she was given for the past 3 years has been completely bungled by her constant flip-flopping.
Her only chance for support comes from people who hate the other candidates. No one actually supports her.

I think that's the point re the statement "I think its even more remarkable that Karen Stintz is this competitive". But note, from the original article, this vindication of your puzzlement...

He still lost to Chow in a hypothetical four-way race. Chow got 39 per cent, Ford 27 per cent, Tory 24 per cent, Stintz 5 per cent.

See? Non-competitive dead last. Yet...

And Councillor Karen Stintz, the right-leaning TTC chair who has joined Chow in organizing behind the scenes, beat Ford 44 per cent to 40 per cent.

So, it's not about Stintz, per se: it's about Ford. Even a 5% loser can beat Ford at this point.

(And as an aside, re you-know-who's "bwahahaha call me again after Ford's reelected in 2014" spiel: I'm sure that had the Internet existed in the 50s, there would have been lots of "bwahahaha call me again after Joe McCarthy's reelected in 1958" sentiment communicated)

Very curious that Daniel Rider, the Toronto Star City Hall Bureau Chief is taking an academic leave and Robyn Doolittle is taking October off. With the bombastic revelations that'll be made when the Project Traveller warrants are released this month, you'd think that TheStar would want all hands on deck. Over at the Globe that is indeed the case.

Someone on twitter questioned whether it was vacation, staycation or investigation?
Robyn responded " all of the above?
Maybe we'll be seeing something soon.

I'm starting to think we'll never see anything. Too much rumour, not enough fact. It's not like there aren't all kinds of stories the media never puts into print for various reasons. This looks like it will be yet another.

Rob Ford is polling at 42% in last weeks recent approval rating.

he has maintained a solid base of 40%+ through all of this.

if no video surfaces by Jan or February, the electorate will not be pleased and Rob will bury his competition.

lets hope something comes up with these court documents.

Maybe Robyn Doolittle will need October off, after a very busy September!
She's taking time off now and coming back mid-October. The timing is indeed a bit odd. Unless she's under the impression that there will be no major Ford news coming out until October?

Last edited:
Sorry, when she said "next month" she meant the month that just started. She's off for September. TheStar's investigation into Rob Ford isn't being left unmanned -- I know of at least two others researching for the story -- but it's curious that she would take over a month off running through the expected public release of the Project Traveller warrants in two weeks from now. The Globe&Mail also has significant resources allocated to this investigation while The Sun is actively pursuing it as well, albeit with less vigour. I'm not aware of The National Post's efforts.

This may seem completely unrelated to Rob Ford but after you've watched this video, you'll be making the connection between the group of people being discussed here and Ford Nation

[video=youtube;lhk7-5eBCrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lhk7-5eBCrs[/video]

We need to recruit Penn & Teller to out all the bullshit the Ford's spew. It's obvious to most of us but not to Ford Nation. This kind of in your face WAKE THE FUCK UP form of communication may be the only way to get through to the type of people who believe everything Ford says.

Sorry, when she said "next month" she meant the month that just started. She's off for September. TheStar's investigation into Rob Ford isn't being left unmanned -- I know of at least two others researching for the story -- but it's curious that she would take over a month off running through the expected public release of the Project Traveller warrants in two weeks from now.

I'm a ridiculous optimist. Maybe they think any upcoming stories will be more in line with Jennifer Pagliaro's specialty and thus it's a good time for Robyn to take a well deserved break. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back