News   Mar 28, 2024
 152     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

heres the offical plans ... seems they are going to outright eliminate them... with no replacements. Interesting... http://hwy400ncanalbridges.ca/docs
I assume they see no need with the new Line 5 interchange just 3km up the road. Line 5 feeds into Canal Rd.

Upgrading of Hwy 11 between Barrie and Gravenhurst is long overdue. A lot of roadside businesses never recovered from the installation of the centre beam. Unless the do a realignment, many areas don't have enough room for a service road, particularly north of Severn Bridge and I don't think the 'turn-around interchanges' has been a fan favorite.

Do you have a link to the EA ?
I have the PDF for the Washago-Gravenhurst section..

This gives you an idea of the design:

Total section:

hwy11 1.png

Gravenhurst Interchange:

hwy 11 2.png

Hwy 169 Interchange in Washago:

hwy 11 3.png

This EA was done about a decade ago and was available online at the time, I believe the section south of Washago was done a while ago (late 90's or early 2000's) and wasn't available online at all.

The West St interchange in Orillia is getting replaced right now, and the preliminary design for it showed a 6-lane cross section of Hwy 11 as well.

going down my saved highway designs from MTO rabbit hole.. I will still forever love how MTO somewhat-seriously considered a cross-Lake-Ontario tunnel to Bypass Halton Region as an actual option at one point, going as far as to design preliminary interchanges:

laketunnel 1.png
laketunnel 2.png
laketunnel 3.png
laketunnel 4.png

I have the PDF for the Washago-Gravenhurst section..

This gives you an idea of the design:

Total section:

View attachment 412183

Gravenhurst Interchange:

View attachment 412181

Hwy 169 Interchange in Washago:

View attachment 412182

This EA was done about a decade ago and was available online at the time, I believe the section south of Washago was done a while ago (late 90's or early 2000's) and wasn't available online at all.

The West St interchange in Orillia is getting replaced right now, and the preliminary design for it showed a 6-lane cross section of Hwy 11 as well.

Well, if nothing else, it looks like they plan to remediate the tight curve at 169/Gravenhurst. The s/b Tim's would have to close. Such is the price of progress.

I can’t help but agree. Highway 11 has several stretches with at-grade intersections at low traffic crossroads. There are several interchanges on 69 that didn’t need the grade separation – Crooked Lake Road being a prime example.

A better solution would be to just put in diamond interchanges with half-pipe culverts for underpasses.

Milton, subways, huh? I daresay one of the best ways to ensure a given municipality never gets subways is by building sprawl oriented infrastructure. Note I'm not a fan of the urbanist histrionics against the 413. But all drama aside, it's still probably not the type of thing we should be building. Yes, all suburban munis need significant transit improvements.

Back