News   Apr 18, 2024
 683     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.1K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Traffic on Highway 69 is now directed on the new southbound carriageway and bridges over the Pickerel and French Rivers. The old Highway 69 alignment that provides access to the French River Park and visitors centre, the Hungry Bear restaurant, the marina at the Pickerel River, etc. is now named "Settlers Road."

Work is still underway on the northbound carriageway and the two new interchanges to connect to Old Highway 69/Settlers Road and Highway 607.

Province to invest $67.8M for Hwy. 401 near Tilbury

After three years of lobbying and extensive public awareness campaigns, the goal for concrete barrier activists could become a reality as soon as the end of this year, thanks to a $67.8-million announcement from the province on Monday.

Jeff Yurek, MPP for Elgin–Middlesex–London, said Ontario will widen and install concrete median barriers on Highway 401 between Tilbury and Merlin Road in Chatham-Kent.

“This 11 kilometres already had environmental assessments and planning completed, which made it go a lot quicker,” he said in an interview.

This is part of the province’s larger project to widen and install concrete barriers on 125 kilometres of the highway between Tilbury and London, bringing with it additional local construction jobs.

Yurek called it a vital corridor for the success of Southwestern Ontario, noting the upgrades will make travel safer, while keeping people and freight moving.

Coco Paving Inc. has been selected to widen the section of highway from four to six lanes, add the barriers and install a new storm sewer system.

Province to invest $67.8M for Hwy. 401 near Tilbury

After three years of lobbying and extensive public awareness campaigns, the goal for concrete barrier activists could become a reality as soon as the end of this year, thanks to a $67.8-million announcement from the province on Monday.

Jeff Yurek, MPP for Elgin–Middlesex–London, said Ontario will widen and install concrete median barriers on Highway 401 between Tilbury and Merlin Road in Chatham-Kent.

“This 11 kilometres already had environmental assessments and planning completed, which made it go a lot quicker,” he said in an interview.

This is part of the province’s larger project to widen and install concrete barriers on 125 kilometres of the highway between Tilbury and London, bringing with it additional local construction jobs.

Yurek called it a vital corridor for the success of Southwestern Ontario, noting the upgrades will make travel safer, while keeping people and freight moving.

Coco Paving Inc. has been selected to widen the section of highway from four to six lanes, add the barriers and install a new storm sewer system.

Wait a minute, what is it like right now?

Why would they even accommodate cyclists and pedestrians on a freeway crossing anyways?

Why not?

Germany's Completely Car-Free Bicycle Highway
The bicycle autobahn will connect 10 cities, and four universities, when finished.

From link.

Germany is building a car-free bicycle highway that will stretch to 62 miles, once completed.

When finished, it will connect 10 German cities, including Duisburg, Bochum, and Hamm, as well as four universities. It has been built to help minimize car pollution and is projected to get 50,000 cars off the road everyday, once completed.

An autobahn for bicycles
The bicycle highway looks like a traditional road, with passing lanes, overpasses, underpasses for crossroads, and even streetlights. The great benefit to riders, however, is that they won't have to worry about buses, cars and trucks tailgating them or coming up from behind.

Instead, they will have a clear road, aside from the other cyclists, for miles and miles. All bikeways and pedestrian paths are completely separate from any vehicle lanes.

The first three-mile stretch of the road opened in 2015, connecting Mülheim an der Ruhr and Essen.

The fruits of a cultural project
The idea was thought up in 2010 when a cultural project caused the closure of the road between Duisburg and Dortmund. More than three million people hit the road by foot, on bikes, and on skates.

Alongside Europe's growing affection for electric bikes and e-bike services, such as Uber's new Jump bikes, and a desire for a cleaner environment, the idea came to fruition.

Nuremberg, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Berlin and Munich are also continuously undertaking studies to see if their city centers can be adapted to be more cycle-friendly, so as to reduce traffic and air pollution.

The Germans aren't the first to come up with such a bike-centric plan. The Netherlands started building a network of 20 bike highways in the early noughties (the years 2000-2010) and are still expanding it today.

Denmark have bikeways around Copenhagen, and Norway has also started their own bike road network connecting nine cities across the country.

At the Credit River Bridge, the idea is to provide an additional connection across the Credit River. Between Dundas and Lakeshore, the only crossing is the QEW Bridge. And for someone on Mississauga Road, Dundas can only be accessed by back-tracking very far westward.

I can see that. Makes sense.

Wait a minute, what is it like right now?

What a miss.

This stretch of the 401 was recently rebuilt from the roadbed up and had a cable barrier installed in most sections.

Done under the Lib government

Now the PCs want to fill in the median to put in another lane and concrete median. I believe the drainage on the rebuilt roadway was designed support this but we would have saved construction time and money if it was just all completed at once.

What a miss.

This stretch of the 401 was recently rebuilt from the roadbed up and had a cable barrier installed in most sections.

Done under the Lib government

Now the PCs want to fill in the median to put in another lane and concrete median. I believe the drainage on the rebuilt roadway was designed support this but we would have saved construction time and money if it was just all completed at once.

Still, I don't see any large patches being widened unless PCs get re-elected. This 11 km patch will likely be the only one widened, however I hope I am proven wrong.

Somewhat related to this, what are the plans to reconstruct the highway 4 interchange? The Southern Highways program (back when it was available) had a timeline of 2020-2021 to at least start construction. But I haven't heard anything on that front.

lol

If the Libs didn't let Toronto toll the Gardiner & DVP, no way the PCs will

The PCs need to do an EA for the remainder of the highway, which they are doing now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get re-elected anyway.

Even if the PCs lose the next election I'd assume the EA would be pretty much done and further construction / prep work would be underway. It would be kind of dumb to kill the project by this point if all this time and money was sunk into it already.

Infrastructure projects like this is something every party will agree to. They might lose support if they are against it.

Looking at the 401 to Windsor this past week, there are a number of bridges that need to be rebuilt for 3-5 lanes, with the section between London to 403 to be 10 lanes in the future. It needs to be at least 8 now. All new bridges will be higher than they are now.

Everyone still waiting for the section between London and Tilbury to be upgraded to 3 lanes and concrete centre barriers. It can't happen fast enough for the folks in this area.

Even from Milton To Cambridge, a number of bridges still need to be rebuilt to handle the plan 10 lanes..

Once you leave the Canadian Custom area for the Gordie Howe Bridge, the 401 will be 3 lanes to the point the overhead sign is already in place

Doug Ford's response would be No way, these folks relying on the highway to get to work during the pandemic are already suffering enough. Now is not the time to add more expenses to their lives.
This is something I can myself relate to. I used subway for commuting downtown but if I have to go now (although occasionally), I would NOT use public transit at this time. I would rather pay a heavy toll than risk my and my family's health.

Back