News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.8K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 572     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

To be fair, now would not be a good time to impose tolls, even if they were being contemplated. The economy does not need additional drags, especially while congestion is quite diminished (though picking up again).

lol

If the Libs didn't let Toronto toll the Gardiner & DVP, no way the PCs will

Even if the PCs lose the next election I'd assume the EA would be pretty much done and further construction / prep work would be underway. It would be kind of dumb to kill the project by this point if all this time and money was sunk into it already.

Infrastructure projects like this is something every party will agree to. They might lose support if they are against it.

You have a fair point. Now that PCs have got the ball rolling on it, it will not look good for liberals if if they kill the widening. Especially in Windsor and London area where people regularly use this part of the 401.

I think the timeline is a little tight for EA + contract to be tendered by summer 2022. Regardless, hopefully it can continue with the next government, if PCs lose.

lol

If the Libs didn't let Toronto toll the Gardiner & DVP, no way the PCs will

Even if the PCs lose the next election I'd assume the EA would be pretty much done and further construction / prep work would be underway. It would be kind of dumb to kill the project by this point if all this time and money was sunk into it already.

Infrastructure projects like this is something every party will agree to. They might lose support if they are against it.

As if our political parties are not above cancelling projects that are far along in planning and significant money had been spent on.

The drl/ontario line
Hamilton s lrt
The eglinton subway
Multiple Scarborough srt/subway plans
Transit city

If there were a tally of the money spent on project planning only to get binned by the new party in power we would be shocked

Am i the only one that thinks making 6 lanes of traffic merge to 3 at the credit river is probably the worst decision making for the 401. Even though it would be widened more in the future, its still terrible for now. When i was driving east, the collectors on the WB were backed up from hurontario all the way to the river while the express lanes were free flowing. This needs to honestly be fixed

Am i the only one that thinks making 6 lanes of traffic merge to 3 at the credit river is probably the worst decision making for the 401. Even though it would be widened more in the future, its still terrible for now. When i was driving east, the collectors on the WB were backed up from hurontario all the way to the river while the express lanes were free flowing. This needs to honestly be fixed
What do you suggest, that they keep it going from 6 to 3 at Hurontario until then?

What do you suggest, that they keep it going from 6 to 3 at Hurontario until then?
They should’ve simultaneously worked on the Mississauga and the Halton/Milton part instead of waiting so long between the projects

Geee!!!..........where do you plan to merger the current 6 lanes to 3 before the Credit River??????????

It makes no different were you merger 6 lanes to 3 as it will cost problems one way or another.

They should’ve simultaneously worked on the Mississauga and the Halton/Milton part instead of waiting so long between the projects

Have you been following this thread and understand what is taking place from 410 to 25???

The section between the Credit River to Hurontario was a standard contract while the Hurontario to 410 and interchange was a P3 like the work from the Credit River to 25. P3 contracts need more time to bid on one compare to a standard one.

There is work taking place as you stated.

There is so much money that can be used by the government yearly and it needs to be spread over a number of projects than just one.

As far as I know, HOV lanes in place west of 410 for both direction with some sign frames up with no signs. They are currently been used as part of lanes in a construction zone. Don't expect eastbound HOV in service until 2021 and the westbound until 2023 when the next phase is finish.

Drone footage of the 427 extension

Fun fact- this is the very first new highway build in Ontario to feature HOV lanes. All other HOVs were retrofitted to existing highways.

As can be seen at 2;15 in the above video, what is with the pavement curving out at the beginning of each on ramp?

Geee!!!..........where do you plan to merger the current 6 lanes to 3 before the Credit River??????????

It makes no different were you merger 6 lanes to 3 as it will cost problems one way or another.

Being Ontario, the right lanes will slowly merge to the left. Which is why drivers will not stay in the right lanes, because those are the lanes that disappear, in Ontario.

I my opinion, left lanes are the faster lanes and that's why they should not disappear.

"The Ontario Highway Traffic Act (Section 147) states that the left lane of multi-lane roads and highways are to be kept open for passing. This simple concept on its own should keep traffic flowing much easier. When you have completed your pass, move back into the middle or right lane.

From link.

Except that it is impossible to do so, since the right lane seems to be always the one that "disappears".

"The Ontario Highway Traffic Act (Section 147) states that the left lane of multi-lane roads and highways are to be kept open for passing. This simple concept on its own should keep traffic flowing much easier. When you have completed your pass, move back into the middle or right lane.

From link.

Except that it is impossible to do so, since the right lane seems to be always the one that "disappears".
Even though that's technically the law, common law (what people actually do) and even road signs really don't enforce that. You might find "keep right except to pass" on some 2 lane highways or when a bypass lane appears on a non controlled-access highway, but generally you see "slower traffic keep right" signs which enforce the idea that leftmost lanes should have faster traffic speeds.

Back