News   Aug 09, 2024
 806     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 669     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 2.8K     2 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Why would you need a Transitway here when supposedly development won't be extending towards it? Something with that doesn't add up. Either the urban boundary will be pushed up to (and probably past) this new highway, or the Province will be building a Transitway in the middle of farmers' fields.
I am lost on this as well, but good to protect for a Transitway as we will be gone before the need of one surface or never surface. To be safe than sorry like a lot of places where no protection was plan for that you can't expand the road to meet the need of today. QEW through Mississauga is a good example.

You can fix the QEW in Mississauga by closing the service roads and tearing houses down.

I am lost on this as well, but good to protect for a Transitway as we will be gone before the need of one surface or never surface. To be safe than sorry like a lot of places where no protection was plan for that you can't expand the road to meet the need of today. QEW through Mississauga is a good example.

You can fix the QEW in Mississauga by closing the service roads and tearing houses down.

I'm all for giving new 400-series highways wide ROWs in order to accommodate whatever MTO or Metrolinx needs to put in there, but to specifically state that they'll be building a Transitway with it seems a bit odd. If anything, I'd have just said "with sufficient ROW to allow for a future transit corridor, if required".

Why would they build an extension down to highway 410.

Just extend the current 410 to the new highway.

I dont think this is needed but no doubt the 427 should feed into the 400. Seems really dumb not to.

About expanding highways in the gta...they are needed and more transit. I dislike this simple minded thinking that it is one or the other. Suburban living is not going anywhere especially with working from home becoming more normal. It seems obvious not everyone is going to live downtown in a 300 sq foot condo.

Why would they build an extension down to highway 410.

Just extend the current 410 to the new highway.

I dont think this is needed but no doubt the 427 should feed into the 400. Seems really dumb not to.

About expanding highways in the gta...they are needed and more transit. I dislike this simple minded thinking that it is one or the other. Suburban living is not going anywhere especially with working from home becoming more normal. It seems obvious not everyone is going to live downtown in a 300 sq foot condo.
I always dreamt of having both the 427 and 404 connect to the 400, as they both are basically commuter highways and connect straight to the downtown core. Bradford bypass will happen, but you basically get a relief if they connected the 427 as well. What are the chances of this ever happening

This looks terrible for access to/from Bolton. No interchange with Hwy. 50 or even Coleraine Dr.

You should subscribe to the updates and newsletter, and direct your feedback to the Ministry. They'll love to read your comments from the ordinary "folks" who must agree with them. If you don't agree with them, they'll file it away. See link. Word your comment as a "suggestion" to "improve" it, and not criticize it.

Last edited:
Major issue i see if the 400 is connected to the 427 and the 404 capacity for that highway needs to be increased to many more lanes south of barrie

I wonder what the existing bit of the 410 in Caledon would be renamed to? 410A?

Would probably just get renamed Highway 10, seeing as that's what it connects to.

There's a similar situation north of Barrie, where 400 and 11 diverge. There's a short stretch of 11 that's technically referred to as 400A, though it's signed as 11.

Major issue i see if the 400 is connected to the 427 and the 404 capacity for that highway needs to be increased to many more lanes south of barrie
Lots of (mostly bridge replacement) projects are underway to provide enough room for HOV to Barrie, and eventually express/collector thru Barrie to the Hwy 11 interchange.

Imagine a express/collector 400 from barrie all the way to toronto. This wouldnt be the first time a long setup like this has happened (see i-95 from Philadelphia-New York but then again it is meant to serve a complete higher population

Imagine a express/collector 400 from barrie all the way to toronto. This wouldnt be the first time a long setup like this has happened (see i-95 from Philadelphia-New York but then again it is meant to serve a complete higher population
The I-95 isn't really an express/collector highway but rather 2 separated highways with exit/enter ramps at every interchange for both carriageways (or whatever the American term is called). That highway itself is an express highway as interchanges are located miles away from each other in a populated area unlike the number of interchanges on the 401.

Express/Collector highways are only good if both express and collector are wide enough with 3+ lanes each or it'll be a waste of space. With the interchanges being several km apart, it really serves little purpose to separate the lanes unless it is 6+ lanes wide. I don't think HOV would be that effective during cottage weekends either. Most cars wouldn't just have one person in it.

Personally I rather see the 427 extended to Barrie or even Collingwood as a relief and alternative than an express/collector system for the 400. Maybe they could widen the 400 north of the Bradford bypass once that is built.

Back