News   Apr 25, 2024
 67     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

A question I’ve had for a while: Why are there some COMPASS cameras that are not accessible to the public via 511on.ca or by other general methods. For example:
- Hwy 400 from N. of Langstaff to S. of King Rd
- Highway 427 between Hwy 401 and the QEW
- Highway 410 from Courtney Park to at least as north as Queen St.

The only places to view them that I know of is sporadically on TV traffic reports or 680 News Traffic Twitter

Any one know why this is??

Would probably just get renamed Highway 10, seeing as that's what it connects to.

There's a similar situation north of Barrie, where 400 and 11 diverge. There's a short stretch of 11 that's technically referred to as 400A, though it's signed as 11.

I think the bypassed portion of 410 may just be closed as it will no longer be needed. As for 410A, it's just Hwy. 11 now as 11 just ends at 400 rather than continuing into Barrie via Penetanguishene Rd.

I think the bypassed portion of 410 may just be closed as it will no longer be needed. As for 410A, it's just Hwy. 11 now as 11 just ends at 400 rather than continuing into Barrie via Penetanguishene Rd.
According to MTO AADT traffic counts (2016), Highway 400A still exists.

I'm super curious about ridership on the 407 post-COVID. I have to think it dropped even harder than other 400 highways given that it's ridership is overwhelmingly wealthy professionals who are equipped to work at home.

I'm super curious about ridership on the 407 post-COVID. I have to think it dropped even harder than other 400 highways given that it's ridership is overwhelmingly wealthy professionals who are equipped to work at home.
My dad commutes on it daily from Durham Region to Vaughan, and continued working throughout the pandemic too. They way he put it, the highway was basically empty during the pandemic. He even took to taking Highway 7 all the way in during it since traffic levels are so low.

Traffic is picking up again on it now however, as post-pandemic traffic returns. He's returned to using it every day, though he still gets off at the edge of Markham and continues on Highway 7 into Durham as it isn't as congested.

This reflects what' i've seen as well in the handful of times I've taken the highway this year. I didn't take it until early July, but by late August the highway was significantly busier.

I wouldn't be surprised if their 2020 revenues are down 50%+.

You can see this even in the pricing - they cancelled a planned seasonal increase for summertime traffic and maintained the winter toll rates throughout the entire year.

My dad commutes on it daily from Durham Region to Vaughan, and continued working throughout the pandemic too. They way he put it, the highway was basically empty during the pandemic. He even took to taking Highway 7 all the way in during it since traffic levels are so low.

Traffic is picking up again on it now however, as post-pandemic traffic returns. He's returned to using it every day, though he still gets off at the edge of Markham and continues on Highway 7 into Durham as it isn't as congested.

This reflects what' i've seen as well in the handful of times I've taken the highway this year. I didn't take it until early July, but by late August the highway was significantly busier.

I wouldn't be surprised if their 2020 revenues are down 50%+.

You can see this even in the pricing - they cancelled a planned seasonal increase for summertime traffic and maintained the winter toll rates throughout the entire year.
I recently came back from the cottage country and drove on 407 east, and to be honest its pretty typical congestion on that end, as in you're driving in a small pack of 6 minivans.

EIS not due for completion until 2023. Looks like this won't be opening until the latter end of the decade at the earliest.

Good to see it moving along. I was scared that the province was going to throw all their weight behind the 413 instead of a project that is actually needed.

I guess this decade will be the one that has the most projects completed in terms of transit, infrastructure and highways and i’m all down for that

Today at 401, in Scarborough, I saw 2 express lanes exiting into collector lanes or 2 leftmost collector lanes exiting into express lanes. There were no forking lanes where they used to be. The signages for 2 exit lanes were also permanent although the lanes were painted in orange. Does anyone what's going on there? This will lead to a lot of weaving. I see so many people changing a lane at the last moment before the transfer and now these people will be changing two lanes instead.

Today at 401, in Scarborough, I saw 2 express lanes exiting into collector lanes or 2 leftmost collector lanes exiting into express lanes. There were no forking lanes where they used to be. The signages for 2 exit lanes were also permanent although the lanes were painted in orange. Does anyone what's going on there? This will lead to a lot of weaving. I see so many people changing a lane at the last moment before the transfer and now these people will be changing two lanes instead.

The Westbound express and collector lanes are being resurfaced from Neilson to Warden:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/highway-bridges/pdfs/southern-highways-program-2016-2020.pdf (page 34)

Back