News   Apr 18, 2024
 485     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.8K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

There are new office buildings being built in many suburbs...
  • 400/407 in Vaughan
  • 404/401 & 404/407 in Markham
  • 401/Mississauga Road
  • QEW all through Oakville
There will always be a market for these types of places as the rents are much cheaper than downtown.

I have heard nothing about a phased opening....doesn't mean it won't happen or is not planned....just not what I have heard.

I would think that they would probably do at least a partial rebuild on the existing lanes to match the sloping of the new roadway, etc.

Don Valley Parkway at Eglinton Avenue in Toronto

Former cloverleaf.

19863133985_3884bf9542_b.jpg

Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ai360/19863133985/in/dateposted/

from the article it states that single drivers can prepurchase permits, however that does not address the one offs and the occasions where a chronic single driver takes a second passenger.
How will those be regulated? I foresee snags and delays for deliveries of permits as well as a long long queue for reimbursements because of the above issue not being addressed. Also, how are they going to monitor the activities of drivers between the permit cameras (or w/e the equipment is to verify)? Its going to be like this summer where cheaters are just going to suffer the beginning and then jump on after they pass the checkpoints. They really should just go all in if theyre going to tax the
the DVP/Gardiner; do it for all lanes not just the hov. Or they can do what London is doing and put a congestion tax to vehicles not registered to the DT core area. This is prob going to turn into a gas plant or e health style disaster...legit intentions, but gross incompetent implementation.

from the article it states that single drivers can prepurchase permits, however that does not address the one offs and the occasions where a chronic single driver takes a second passenger.
How will those be regulated? I foresee snags and delays for deliveries of permits as well as a long long queue for reimbursements because of the above issue not being addressed. Also, how are they going to monitor the activities of drivers between the permit cameras (or w/e the equipment is to verify)? Its going to be like this summer where cheaters are just going to suffer the beginning and then jump on after they pass the checkpoints. They really should just go all in if theyre going to tax the
the DVP/Gardiner; do it for all lanes not just the hov. Or they can do what London is doing and put a congestion tax to vehicles not registered to the DT core area. This is prob going to turn into a gas plant or e health style disaster...legit intentions, but gross incompetent implementation.

I was thinking the same thing. Texas seems to have figured it out. Ontario should figure out how they do it.

This is great news! I love the idea that rich people will no longer have to be stuck in poor person traffic jams. Great idea that there are different economic classes to the roads that everyone's taxes build and maintain. If I'm rich why shouldn't I get the privealge to bypass the poor? See you later suckers. Don't want to be stuck in traffic jams? Work harder!

How will those be regulated? I foresee snags and delays for deliveries of permits as well as a long long queue for reimbursements because of the above issue not being addressed. Also, how are they going to monitor the activities of drivers between the permit cameras (or w/e the equipment is to verify)? Its going to be like this summer where cheaters are just going to suffer the beginning and then jump on after they pass the checkpoints.

Based on the announcement, my guess is that there are going to be no technical/electronic installations.
That this will be a dumb monthly-style permit that is a physical sticker to put on your car. The sticker would mean then that during regular enforcement, they simply would not pull over a single-driver with a permit sticker. It's a one-time payment to have free access to the lane for the month. Or whatever timeframe they want to go with.
There will be no overcharges, because it will be prepaid. If you choose to carpool one day, it won't make a difference, because you prepaid.

This is basically how the GO Transit Reserved Parking works. You don't get to show up and decide "today I need better service I'm willing to pay for". You must decide "next month, I want better service all month long".

Unfortunately, this all fits very neatly into the "Lexus Lanes" narrative. Without giving people the option to choose "spur of the moment" it creates an Us Vs Them dichotomy.

Mmmmm.... Lexus Lanes. Perfect for my Lexus. Can't wait. Where can I buy my permit? This is great!

Back