News   Jul 19, 2024
 920     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.9K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

I am not sure if you are aware, there are plans to build the collector lanes all the way to the 407 ETR interchange. this will increase the trafifc in the mississauga road (peel regiional road 1) area
It's pretty hard to miss while your driving ...

It's pretty hard to miss while your driving ...

miss what? we know the 401 is at capacity at that interchange, but guess what theyre expanding it, so the congestion / capacity wont be a problem any more

miss what? we know the 401 is at capacity at that interchange, but guess what theyre expanding it, so the congestion / capacity wont be a problem any more
It's pretty hard to miss the huge expansion job between the 403/410 and Mavis. Not to mention the 4-span overpasses that have been built at various locations on the 401 in recent years in Mississauga, including Mississauga Road.

We've discussed the the widening extensively in this thread. Part of the widening is the very subject of the thread.

I assume that your post was meant in humour ...

I can't believe how similar this is to when I used to drive it every day in 1994!

That's pretty unbelieveable that this has been an issue for almost 20 years and only now are they hopefully constructing a solution.

Well either way, I was in the area at about 6am this morning, and of course we slowed down at WC but I can say that the traffic was alot looser than at 6:30 for sure. Took about 1/2 the time it takes to get through that area, but still not as good as it was earlier in the year.

Just too add to the construction part of this thread. I noticed a digital sign informing motorists that the right lane is closed on the EB 401 from Kennedy to ? (Didn't see the other street). It was open when I drove through at about 6:15 am, but this may be the reason for the extra back-log of traffic in the morning these days.

Just too add to the construction part of this thread. I noticed a digital sign informing motorists that the right lane is closed on the EB 401 from Kennedy to ? (Didn't see the other street). It was open when I drove through at about 6:15 am, but this may be the reason for the extra back-log of traffic in the morning these days.

Kennedy - 410. This morning I noticed it was only the one lane of the offramp that is actually closed.

That's pretty unbelieveable that this has been an issue for almost 20 years and only now are they hopefully constructing a solution.

Well either way, I was in the area at about 6am this morning, and of course we slowed down at WC but I can say that the traffic was alot looser than at 6:30 for sure. Took about 1/2 the time it takes to get through that area, but still not as good as it was earlier in the year.

It's Mississauga. Things don't get done here until things are bursting at the seams. And even then we wait a little longer.

It's pretty hard to miss the huge expansion job between the 403/410 and Mavis. Not to mention the 4-span overpasses that have been built at various locations on the 401 in recent years in Mississauga, including Mississauga Road.

We've discussed the the widening extensively in this thread. Part of the widening is the very subject of the thread.

I assume that your post was meant in humour ...

I know about the construction, I was wondering if your post was a joke? who couldn't miss it?

You can cut off some time there by taking 427 North - 409 East and getting back on 401 just after Islington. It's saved me at least 5-7 minutes going in the morning. Coming home it would make it worse because of the drop-off in the collectors which are regularly backed up.

This actually worked beautifully today! I was in a little late, and this gets around that Eglington - 427 slowdown, thanks!

Also keep in mind this isn't a simple widening... projects like this are extremely expensive and rarely happen anywhere in the world.

There aren't many other examples of a highway expansion project that more than doubles the amount of lanes (6 to 14) and completely reshapes the highway (collector-express).

Projects like this take considerable planning and funding and aim to provide a long-term solution to traffic congestion and creating an efficient roadway.

It's taken a long time to get here, and it's going to take a long time to build it, but at least their going to get it done right.

There aren't many other examples of a highway expansion project that more than doubles the amount of lanes (6 to 14) and completely reshapes the highway (collector-express).
Is it 14? I thought west of 410 it was only going to be 3+3 not 3+4.

Also keep in mind this isn't a simple widening... projects like this are extremely expensive and rarely happen anywhere in the world.

Projects like this take considerable planning and funding and aim to provide a long-term solution to traffic congestion and creating an efficient roadway.

It's taken a long time to get here, and it's going to take a long time to build it, but at least their going to get it done right.

The MTO protects a 14m wide setback along all its controlled access highways for future expansion. They don't own these setbacks but they have the right to expropriate the land if they need to. This is enough space to get at least two if not three additional lanes. I'm not sure if other jurisdictions do this as well but I suspect this is what has allowed the 401 expansion to take place.

They can start by expropriating the 14m wide of land from the 401/427 all the way to the 401 / 27. that is the biggest bottle neck in all of the highway.

Back