News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 604     1 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

If you assume the numbers in this Forbes article are correct, there are almost 6,000 miles of toll routes across the US which raise a collective $13 billion in revenue annually. Here are the top-earning toll agencies in the country, from that article:

2015_Tolls_Fo.jpg

Interestingly in 2013 407ETR collected about $600M (USD) in revenue, which would barely crack the top 10.

Interestingly in 2013 407ETR collected about $600M (USD) in revenue, which would barely crack the top 10.

Those aren't individual highways though. They're toll agencies. The Florida Turnpike Enterprise, for example, is ten different freeways, two bridges and the highway from Fort Lauderdale to Fort Myers. The New York Thruway is one mainline freeway and five different "connectors" to other states' highways.

I think Tory would be very wise to make tolling a ballot box question as per Keithz's idea of the following options:

Boulevard option without tools

Gardiner Hybrid with tolls

More expensive toll tunnel

I'd even add a fourth option: boulevard option with tolls dedicated to transit

It must be clear to voters, however, that the Hybrid replacement option necessitates tolls or some additional revenue tool. If Tory doesn't get a clear mandate for his toll plan, he will wear it to the next election, at which point disgruntled commuters in and out of the 416 will make a statement. It smacks of Tory's old provincial election promise to fund private religious schools...

I've always thought that's a creative idea, but I think implementation would be a challenge. I've seen highways with buildings arched over top or buildings with highways running through them, but your idea would require a very coordinated approach with developers. Not impossible by any stretch, but I'm not sure how practical it is.

What trench? Please read about the Option 3 Hybrid that Council narrowly endorsed. It's an expensive reconfiguration of the Gardiner east of Jarvis that maintains an above ground expressway. It's a half-assed solution that requires a funding tool, so the Gardiner and the DVP will be tolled.

From the Star:

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...ohn-torys-plan-for-tolls-on-dvp-gardiner.html

“We’re trying to help people get ahead and stay ahead — even a toll of $20 more a week is not affordable for Ontario families,” an official confided.
“The province is indicating that there can’t be a conversation about tolling while other options (for commuters) are unavailable,” the insider said Thursday.
That effectively means tolling Toronto highways is off the table until Tory’s “SmartTrack” regional express rail expansion is up and running around 2023.

Apparently a $20 increase in transit fares over the years is perfectly acceptable though...

AoD

Wait, what the hell. The toll was a very reasonable $2-3, had significant support, was on City expwys, and wasn't going to be implemented for years. How can she do this?

It's cause she drives a car to work everyday tbh.

Oh yeah, I think I've seen her on the road. Was a brimstone-carved chariot pulled by Cerberus.

Kidding aside, probably because she's trying to improve her abysmal popularity and was getting flak from the other parties. Wouldn't be surprised to see Horvath change her stance though - now arguing that Ontario families want a small toll be able to fund new infrastructure.

Oh yeah, I think I've seen her on the road. Was a brimstone-carved chariot pulled by Cerberus.
Kidding aside, probably because she's trying to improve her abysmal popularity and was getting flak from the other parties. Wouldn't be surprised to see Horvath change her stance though - now arguing that Ontario families want a small toll be able to fund new infrastructure.

No no, Horwarth would probably argue tolls should be implemented but it must be collected by unionized workers as a jobs programme.

AoD

The QEW hot lanes are a joke. There is no enforcement and those lanes are filled with single occupant vehicles going slower than the lane next to it. They are just as jammed as the other lanes in traffic. You might as well turn them into a normal lane of traffic.

Back