News   Apr 25, 2024
 9     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 998     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Shake Shack isn't bad at all. That said, I'd still prefer places like Holy Chuck, which I hope finds a new downtown location in the near future.

Retail Insider had a part to the Shake Shack story that wasn't elsewhere: Beauleigh is representing the brand's expansion.

"Beauleigh is the real estate brokerage representing Shake Shack in Canada. The plan is to open approximately 35 locations, starting with a flagship location in Toronto in 2024. We are in active discussions with landlords and excited to work together to bring this exceptional hospitality group to the Canadian market."

What kind of retailer is looking for a space this size at King and Yonge these days? Shoppers, Rexall, Longos, etc. are all already within a block.

1679878936742.png

Shake Shack is solid, but IMO nothing to get too excited over. I've had it a couple of times in the U.S. and by the time you convert to Canadian $$ you're paying like 27 bucks for a burger, fries and a shake.

I see Pizza St. Tropez which opened last fall downtown is getting some publicity now.

The name notwithstanding, this is a Japanese pizza chain.

Of course, I've been waiting for UT's pizza guy to review it......but if he has, I missed @AlbertC 's review.

Website is here:

This is apparently their best seller:

1680608343378.png

mozzarella, bacon and mochi that has absorbed the flavours of the mayonnaise and teriyaki sauce.

That, and this one below, I definitely need to have Albert review before I consider it:

1680608500830.png

Cod roe mixed with mayonnaise and topped with potato, bacon, nori and corn

haha @AlbertC the full time version of Dave Portney aka Barstool pizza guy

FYI for those who don't know he does pizza reviews around many cities around the world

The full list of Portnoy’s pizza stops in Toronto is below, ranked from his favourite to his least favourite slices in the city.

Here is his ranking of Toronto's Pizza scene.
  • North of Brooklyn (8.4)
  • Pizzeria Badiali (8.3)
  • Conzo’s Pizza (8.2)
  • Descendant Detroit Style Pizza (8.1)
  • Pizza Nostra (8.0)
  • One Night Only Pizza (7.9)
  • San Remo Bakery (7.8)
  • Superpoint (7.7)
  • Bitondo’s Pizzeria (7.5)
  • The Fourth Man in The Fire (7.4)
  • Ambassador Pizza Co. (7.3)
  • Frank’s Pizza House (7.3)
  • Pizza Gigi (7)
  • Revolver Pizza Co. (6.8)
  • Blondies Pizza (6.8)
  • Maker Pizza (6.1)

I see Pizza St. Tropez which opened last fall downtown is getting some publicity now.

The name notwithstanding, this is a Japanese pizza chain.

Of course, I've been waiting for UT's pizza guy to review it......but if he has, I missed @AlbertC 's review.

Website is here:

This is apparently their best seller:

View attachment 466462

mozzarella, bacon and mochi that has absorbed the flavours of the mayonnaise and teriyaki sauce.

That, and this one below, I definitely need to have Albert review before I consider it:

View attachment 466464

Cod roe mixed with mayonnaise and topped with potato, bacon, nori and corn

Kewpie mayo?

AoD

Kewpie mayo?

AoD

Don't know (you might think so, as apparently the recipes are all unchanged from the original Japanese locations).

The website needs some refinement. They actually don't post the ingredient lists at all; and their links to FB and Twitter are no good.

Last edited:
haha @AlbertC the full time version of Dave Portney aka Barstool pizza guy

FYI for those who don't know he does pizza reviews around many cities around the world

The full list of Portnoy’s pizza stops in Toronto is below, ranked from his favourite to his least favourite slices in the city.

Here is his ranking of Toronto's Pizza scene.
  • North of Brooklyn (8.4)
  • Pizzeria Badiali (8.3)
  • Conzo’s Pizza (8.2)
  • Descendant Detroit Style Pizza (8.1)
  • Pizza Nostra (8.0)
  • One Night Only Pizza (7.9)
  • San Remo Bakery (7.8)
  • Superpoint (7.7)
  • Bitondo’s Pizzeria (7.5)
  • The Fourth Man in The Fire (7.4)
  • Ambassador Pizza Co. (7.3)
  • Frank’s Pizza House (7.3)
  • Pizza Gigi (7)
  • Revolver Pizza Co. (6.8)
  • Blondies Pizza (6.8)
  • Maker Pizza (6.1)
There's no 10? :(

Goes to show the variation of taste, the places listed above, I would rank Blondies number one.

But that's only cause that Honey, jalapeno, pepperoni is truly awesome.

Lots of good places not listed.

On anything from San Remo @interchange42 is the undisputed authority.

Last edited:
Does anyone know who's behind CKTL & Co – opening soon at 330 Bay Street.

Back