News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

I lived at Yonge and Eglinton just over 20 years ago and it was so sleepy and bland. It's finally turning into a real neighbourhood, despite what Josh Matlow will tell you.

What are everyone thoughts?

This might be worth its own thread as it touches upon several issues.

I certainly get where Councillor Saxe is coming from. Two years ago, a sushi restaurant opened up in the highrise next to us. We’re fans of the food; it’s good value though more expensive than the Annex Bloor Street type places. But they abandoned plans for dine-in and remained takeout only. But that means there are often four or five gig couriers with their e-bikes parked outside on the sidewalk, and between the sushi joint and all the students renting in the building above, there’s a lot of food courier traffic. And they can be really annoying as you’re just trying to walk on the sidewalk.

So yeah, I get it. They’re commercial cyclists, who have mostly pivoted to fast e-bikes, and their behaviour often isn’t good. They should be able to be identifiable by the company they work for and have some training, something like CAN-BIKE II. But it also should not be an extra burden on them.

Though I’m often aggravated by them, I also know it’s a shitty gig with shitty pay, and they’re exploited by the apps. I suspect the majority are international students or new immigrants. I also know that generally licensing bikes and non-commercial cyclists is a no-go and not effective for many reasons.

I just wish there was less demand for the food delivery apps. I think they’re overrated, exploitative, and not that appealing to me anyway.

This might be worth its own thread as it touches upon several issues.

I certainly get where Councillor Saxe is coming from. Two years ago, a sushi restaurant opened up in the highrise next to us. We’re fans of the food; it’s good value though more expensive than the Annex Bloor Street type places. But they abandoned plans for dine-in and remained takeout only. But that means there are often four or five gig couriers with their e-bikes parked outside on the sidewalk, and between the sushi joint and all the students renting in the building above, there’s a lot of food courier traffic. And they can be really annoying as you’re just trying to walk on the sidewalk.

Is this J-San Sushi Bar? I'm surprised they haven't offered in-restaurant dining yet after all this time.

Another café called Solkatt has gone into the old Baddies space on Landsdowne.
102F4CBC-D2ED-40D4-BBA0-662B9F59C3C9.jpeg
FEE40FDE-914F-4BC9-A867-0E288384631F.jpeg

Just a heads up that the application for a new restaurant to be carved out of 128 Sterling road (building to the south of Spaccio building where the bookstore is) is for a really big space on two levels. I know that people are attached to the Nestle plant that stretches from here south to College Street but with this kind of use going in plus the three office buildings and three condos totalling 1200 units plus more retail, it’s days are definitely numbered!

McDonald on Yonge & Eglinton is finally back and I found a post with the newest photo.
I guess it's catering to both takeout and delivery-only services.

I know many are complaining about the no seating but personally I don't mind. What's everyone's thoughts?
Sounds like it's just a temporary location if there is no seating. (Maybe they can move inside Eglinton subway station once all that construction is done...? They have a similar format over at St. Clair station)
It would be nice if Burger King could come back.
I also wish someone would open a restaurant with an all you can eat salad bar.
That would be nice for that area.

I also wish someone would open a restaurant with an all you can eat salad bar.

There are already many salad options within the Yonge and Eglinton area.

It would be nice if Burger King could come back.

This is a big no for me personally I never like BK haha... 😂 I rather have Wendy's tbh!

Sounds like it's just a temporary location if there is no seating. (Maybe they can move inside Eglinton subway station once all that construction is done...? They have a similar format over at St. Clair station)

I prefer the Streetview location over the ones at the subway. The location at St. Clair is terrible not gonna lie.

There are already many salad options within the Yonge and Eglinton area.
Good. One of them can go all you can eat. That would be very nice.
A smart idea might be to model after a restaurant that used to be just outside Bayview Village mall.
I forget the name of the place, but it had a regular menu and a large AYCE salad bar to compliment it.
One could choose to order from the menu or just eat only food from the salad bar. (or both)

Good. One of them can go all you can eat. That would be very nice.
A smart idea might be to model after a restaurant that used to be just outside Bayview Village mall.
I forget the name of the place, but it had a regular menu and a large AYCE salad bar to compliment it.
One could choose to order from the menu or just eat only food from the salad bar. (or both)

I mean you have Mandarin at Yonge and Eglinton - asian all you can eat buffet with unlimited choice for dessert and salad bar.

Back