News   Apr 23, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 303     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Doesn't Scaddabush do decent business around here? The even have a Woodbridge location.

Haven't most of the GTA East Side Mario's shut down?
Scaddabush is significantly more upmarket than what Olive Garden is. Olive Garden would compete with the likes of Kelseys and Boston Pizza, not Jack Astors and Milestones.

As for the East GTA, the area is dominated by blue collar workers who are a bit more budget conscious than most of the GTA. I imagine that translates to tastes for more affordable dining places.

Chotto Matte in Brookfield Place on Front has missed scheduled openings on June 10 and June 20 and now has sign on door saying sorry to those with reservations- please call and reschedule. Looks almost ready though!

As for the East GTA, the area is dominated by blue collar workers who are a bit more budget conscious than most of the GTA. I imagine that translates to tastes for more affordable dining places.
I'm not sure blue collar dominates much of Durham at all anymore, but a lot of those "blue collar" jobs pay wages that eclipse salaries higher than many downtown residents make. I think their popularity out there is that demand is oriented to very fast service right from seating, to delivery of food to the table, to paying and leaving; and having menus with something that everyone from Little Johnny to Great Grandma will be willing to eat without having to ask any questions about what is in it.

Last edited:
Seems that Smoke Bourbon BBQ House on Harbord is done. The whole BBQ trend that was so hot with hipsters a few years ago really appears to have declined...

Seems that Smoke Bourbon BBQ House on Harbord is done. The whole BBQ trend that was so hot with hipsters a few years ago really appears to have declined...

The two Texas BBQ places in the east end that are focused on smoked brisket sandwiches are doing pretty well.

Adamson BBQ in Leaside and Beach Hill smokehouse at Main and Gerrard.

As with many things, I think the key is that you have to execute at a fairly high level, fairly consistently, and be seen as good value for money.

The two Texas BBQ places in the east end that are focused on smoked brisket sandwiches are doing pretty well.

Adamson BBQ in Leaside and Beach Hill smokehouse at Main and Gerrard.

As with many things, I think the key is that you have to execute at a fairly high level, fairly consistently, and be seen as good value for money.

Can't argue with that. If customers feel even the slightest bit disappointed or ripped off, they will not come back. Toronto simply has way too many restaurant options for people to consider returning to a place that was a let down.

Barque on Roncy seems to still be going strong doing the BBQ thing. Always wanted to try it.

Can't argue with that. If customers feel even the slightest bit disappointed or ripped off, they will not come back. Toronto simply has way too many restaurant options for people to consider returning to a place that was a let down.

Barque on Roncy seems to still be going strong doing the BBQ thing. Always wanted to try it.

Barque is great, and is family friendly. I was disappointed by Smoke and Bones on Queen West, however - too loud and hipster/dudebro and though the food was good, it wasn't amazing.

^ Yes, it's one of the worse buildings in the neighbourhood. It's owned by U of T like the one just west at Charles & St. Nicholas. That one was cleaned up a few years ago so hopefully this one gets the same treatment. This is the second tenant to leave in the past 2 weeks. Photo 123 also left.

Back