News   Aug 16, 2024
 210     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 327     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 271     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

It's going to be especially rough for smaller indie and dive bars. The takeout model doesn't work for them as they don't really specialize in food. The Wallflower on Dundas West near Brock has also closed.

It's going to be tough for alot of places. Places like Hemingways in Yorkville may not even survive despite being a staple for years.

Another bar (and music venue) in Kensington Market gone, as The Boat closes down. They first started off as a Portuguese restaurant 1976, and changed ownership through the years, operating most notably as a live music bar since the mid-2000's.

As depressing as it is to hear about so many iconic live music venues closing, surely new ones will open post-pandemic. The demand will be there. People will be starved for entertainment.

Another bar (and music venue) in Kensington Market gone, as The Boat closes down. They first started off as a Portuguese restaurant 1976, and changed ownership through the years, operating most notably as a live music bar since the mid-2000's.

Oh damn. Another blow to Kensington market :( I had a lot of good times in The Boat over the years. Saw a lot of great shows.

Last edited:
But it makes you wonder, does this mean there will be a lot of cheap spaces available to new business come 1 or 2 years from now ?

Marc’s Mushrooms reportedly owed almost $100,000 from King Street Food Company

Nov 26, 2020

King Street Food Company entered insolvency this month, leaving members of its restaurant supply chain unpaid as we head into some of the darkest days of the pandemic.

Marc Eber is the owner of Marc’s Mushrooms. A decade ago, he walked into Buca (one of King Street Food Company’s restaurants) with a basket of wild mushrooms, kicking off a long-running business partnership.

Today, however, Marc’s Mushrooms is owed $97,006 from Buca and other King Street Food Company establishments.

The outstanding money has affected Eber’s business strategy during the pandemic. “That [money] could be used for payroll or for weathering the storm,” Eber said, “so not having the money is impactful.”

--------
In light of these struggles, Eber started Grow, Gather & Co., an online grocery home delivery service. They offer pre-made baskets featuring meat, fish, dairy and pasta, all sourced from markets, restaurants and producers from all around the city. They also have a custom basket option, where you can choose items from a wealth of local purveyors.

Eber sees his company sticking with this new business model beyond the pandemic. “I think a lot of places are considering somewhat of a new reality,” Eber said. “I think it’s going to take years before the atmosphere of restaurants comes back.”

The two downtown Cora's locations at Wellington W & Blue Jays Way, and at Carlton & Yonge have both closed:

I always found Coras to be overpriced and with such weird hours. I'm surprised they survived as long as they did.

I think a lot of their customer base came from tourists, 905ers coming downtown on weekends or sports games, and maybe some post secondary students who have disposable income.

I always found Coras to be overpriced and with such weird hours. I'm surprised they survived as long as they did.
Their food is not too bad and they concentrate on serving breakfasts so are not open in the evenings. I have certainly eaten in them when in Quebec (their home base) but not so often here, where I prefer to eat breakfast at home in my jammies!

Cora’s is tasty, but the high downtown rents, combined with the sociability of that type of restaurant (where older adult friends could get together), and the poor take-home potential of plated toast and egg breakfasts made this inevitable.

Reactions: DSC
The two downtown Cora's locations at Wellington W & Blue Jays Way, and at Carlton & Yonge have both closed:

" The rent went from $14,000 monthly to $24,000 monthly," alleges Bagley. " That's quite a jump! At that those rents, the only kind of restaurants i expect to see paying that, are cheap food and labour restaurants like Tim Horton's, A &W and McDonald's.

Back